PDA

View Full Version : Testing a mag

Blown 472
04-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Is there a way I could see if a mag is good or bad before I buy it?

lilrick
04-06-2007, 07:57 AM
hold on to the end of the wire and have your buddy spin the gear. This will tell you if there is any spark.:D

Blown 472
04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
hold on to the end of the wire and have your buddy spin the gear. This will tell you if there is any spark.:D
Or, visa versa???

78Eliminator
04-06-2007, 09:02 AM
I bought a super mag III at the swap meet. We just asked if it was working and the guy said yes. Obviously a visual once over and turning the shaft to see if it feels tight and not too sloppy. Also pop the cap off and look inside. If its a mallory make sure it comes with the transformer. I got such a good deal that we figured even if it doesn't work we could just send it to mallory to get it rebuilt. It turned out to be a great piece tho. I know that isn't much help, but I think you can kinda look a fellow in the eye and ask him "Does it work? When is the last time it was used? Has it ever been serviced? If so, how long ago?" Stuff like that......but you already knew that.

Blown 472
04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I bought a super mag III at the swap meet. We just asked if it was working and the guy said yes. Obviously a visual once over and turning the shaft to see if it feels tight and not too sloppy. Also pop the cap off and look inside. If its a mallory make sure it comes with the transformer. I got such a good deal that we figured even if it doesn't work we could just send it to mallory to get it rebuilt. It turned out to be a great piece tho. I know that isn't much help, but I think you can kinda look a fellow in the eye and ask him "Does it work? When is the last time it was used? Has it ever been serviced? If so, how long ago?" Stuff like that......but you already knew that.
I will do that, got two coming in the mail and the guy said if they work we can square up on a price for them. Both are vertex's.

78Eliminator
04-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I will do that, got two coming in the mail and the guy said if they work we can square up on a price for them. Both are vertex's.
Of course, you can always just install them one at a time and see what happens......

Blown 472
04-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Of course, you can always just install them one at a time and see what happens......
Or buy one of those killer dual mag set ups and run two plugs per cylinder some how.
You run that boat yet?
What wires are you using with your mag??

78Eliminator
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Or buy one of those killer dual mag set ups and run two plugs per cylinder some how.
You run that boat yet?
What wires are you using with your mag??
I just got MSD wires. Those cut to length custom dealeos. I have ran the boat. Hoping to run it again soon but it's at a shop at the moment. The trailer is getting turned into a road capable dolly trailer.
You can run both of those vertex's side by side, and just splice the spark plug wires together so each spark plug is getting the power of two mags. LOL

g935
04-06-2007, 05:39 PM
You can send the mag to Don Zig and he will check it out for free. If there's nothing wrong, you just pay for shipping. He did mine while I waited on the phone. He runs it on a load tester. I heard the thing spin up while waiting on the phone. Of course mine was shot due to the previous owner running suppression wires. Don Zig is a cool guy that will give you an education over the phone. Actually, it's his forman that does all of the talking and work. Vertex's are kinda wierd. They can seem like they work good but the coil can go bad. The first thing I noticed was the hard starting. Anyway, it lights up instantly now. Good luck.
Geoff

rrrr
04-06-2007, 05:48 PM
:D :D
I was about 14, standing around in the race shop and someone sez "hold this wire"......
!@$(*!@#+)#$& !!!!! :D :D

Blown 472
04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I just got MSD wires. Those cut to length custom dealeos. I have ran the boat. Hoping to run it again soon but it's at a shop at the moment. The trailer is getting turned into a road capable dolly trailer.
You can run both of those vertex's side by side, and just splice the spark plug wires together so each spark plug is getting the power of two mags. LOL
Should I use some electrical tape?
Sheck it out.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/19Picture_025-med.jpg

78Eliminator
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Should I use some electrical tape?
Sheck it out.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/19Picture_025-med.jpg
Looks good doo. But I would tighten up the blower belt....... :D :D

Blown 472
04-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Looks good doo. But I would tighten up the blower belt....... :D :D
That is my vairable pitch set up. I have to fix my idler as I am not going to use a belt driven water pump and it was made for that.