PDA

View Full Version : So the place I go for lunch has been rippen me off

superdave013
04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I go to this little bar / grill in Fullerton for lunch allot.
We take turns buying and yesterday my friend said they double charged him on his credit card two different times.
Well yesterday was my day to buy so I whipped out the company plastic like always.
So I check my bank statement online later on that day. Hummm, the total on my receipt + the tip I added is $2.07 less then what my bank is showing they charged me.
So I look into it some more and find out they have been adding a little extra on all my bills.
WTF is up with that? Are they adding their merchant fees to my bill? Sure looks like it. I know that's against any merchant agreement that I've ever seen. Well at least the two that I've had.
I know itÂ’s not the end of the world money wise but I still feel like IÂ’m getting jipped. It might be different if I knew in advance they were adding fees.
What would you do?

Jbb
04-06-2007, 09:37 AM
this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU)

Run_em_Hard
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Go to the police...

Do F150's Float?
04-06-2007, 09:40 AM
It must be because you come to fullerton, where i work, all the time, and don't buy me lunch. Its the "i didn't buy Amanda lunch again" penalty :D
What place is it?

Tige' 24v
04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Don't be surprised if it is the waitress/waiter that is doing it. I caught a waitress doing it to me and went down and had the manger pull there copy and sure enough she had changed the amount of the tip. Just for the record i had tipped her 20% so it wasn't like I stiffed her. Needless to say she was fired on the spot.

framer1
04-06-2007, 10:53 AM
this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU)
That might be a little overkill:D

andy01
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I would go down with evidence and ask them nicely if they are aware of it. It could be a mistake of some sort. I dought it but it would suck to loose a good place to eat by blaming them. I would go talk to them and find out what they say, then I would go side ways.

superdave013
04-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I would go down with evidence and ask them nicely if they are aware of it. It could be a mistake of some sort. I dought it but it would suck to loose a good place to eat by blaming them. I would go talk to them and find out what they say, then I would go side ways.
yeah, I just got my ducks in a row and am heading that way.
I know it's the waitress that's doing it. She's hot but not hot enought to get away with jipping me with no happy ending. lol :)

NOTALENT
04-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Hmmm...
When we were in Havi this past weekend @ Shrugs (something like that) I paid via debit card...total came to $75 and some change. We left a cash tip. I get home and check my statement and was like WTF!!!??? It was showing $90 and change. I thought they added more money. Check the next day and it still posted the sameway. Checked again this morning and it shows $75 and change.....:confused:
This happens on alot of rest/bars I go to.....I never got why that happened, but as long as my money/acct is right I let it slide.....
***EDIT***
My bad...I read it wrong...my story doesnt apply...DOH!

HM
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Are they adding their merchant fees to my bill? Sure looks like it. I know that's against any merchant agreement that I've ever seen. Well at least the two that I've had.
Adding the merchant fee is actually against the law, not just the merchant agreement.

Ziggy
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Is it the place or just one or two employees making these extranious charges?
If its employees and they get canned then it helps every customer, if its the place and they just refund you then it likely doesn't help all other clients.
Touchy to decide whether or not to involve authorities.

RiverToysJas
04-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm betting it's an employee or several employees over-charging on the credit on then taking the cash from the til. The books come out even in the end of the day, though the CC's will come out high, and the cash box will come out low. Depending on how they keep books this may or may not be evident to the manager or owner. I knew people who worked at a Gas Station when I was in High School where this was going on. Went very bad for those kids when it came to light too. ;)
Definately needs to be brought to their attention, and the attention of your CC Company.
Good Luck,
Jason

rodnjen
04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I've lived in Fullerton my whole life, do you mind sharing the place? I would definitley address it if you are certain of the infraction.

superdave013
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
well well, I had a talk with the manager and it's taken care of. I'll keep the place under wraps because he made it right.
If it happens at that place again it won't be by the same person at least.
And you know what? For some reason I feel bad because a person got shit canned from their job. I know I shouldn't but for some reason I do.

RitcheyRch
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Glad to hear they made it right although sucks it happened in the first place.
well well, I had a talk with the manager and it's taken care of. I'll keep the place under wraps because he made it right.
And you know what? For some reason I feel bad because a person got shit canned from their job. I know I shouldn't but for some reason I do.

RiverToysJas
04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it's a shame the thief isn't going to jail too. :(
RTJas :D

redi4fun
04-06-2007, 12:39 PM
You said this has happen more than once, so was this the same person adding a few bucks on all the time or was this a case of everybody at the places does it and if you get caught you accept the consequences.:confused:

superdave013
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I know I know, but I'd feel better about punching someone then ratting on them. But older and wiser knows that if I did that I'd be the one in jail.

superdave013
04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
You said this has happen more than once, so was this the same person adding a few bucks on all the time or was this a case of everybody at the places does it and if you get caught you accept the consequences.:confused:
you could be right but the manager looked into it and seemed to think it only happened on one person's shift.

Strippoker
04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
it wasnt by chance this fine place in fullerton called cherries?
Glad its all fixed now

superdave013
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
it wasnt by chance this fine place in fullerton called cherries?
Glad its all fixed now
nope, never even been in there.

superdave013
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Adding the merchant fee is actually against the law, not just the merchant agreement.
I have no doubt you are right but how does the AM/PM gas staitons get away with adding .45 when I zip the plastic?

dumbandyoung
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
That sucks bro.
7elevens are famous for this too. Ive noticed it on my statement a few times. NOthing more than a dollar. So I try to hit up the AmPm's instead.

andy01
04-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Good for you, ya it sucks that somebody is with out a job now. But at least 2000 people are not with out $2-$4 dollars. Look at it this way, the person has been making so much extra money they can probably afford to take some time off.
BTW if we go to lunch by your work, your buying...... :)
Andy

Ziggy
04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
I have no doubt you are right but how does the AM/PM gas staitons get away with adding .45 when I zip the plastic?
I'd bet they have signs that say use of a debit card has a service fee of X amount...just like ATMs have the same disclaimer.
Your deal is and was unauthorized nor openly disclosed.

superdave013
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd bet they have signs that say use of a debit card has a service fee of X amount...just like ATMs have the same disclaimer.
Your deal is and was unauthorized nor openly disclosed.
Now that you say it that way I bet it's more of a fee to use their outside ATM.

Boatcop
04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmmm...
When we were in Havi this past weekend @ Shrugs (something like that) I paid via debit card...total came to $75 and some change. We left a cash tip. I get home and check my statement and was like WTF!!!??? It was showing $90 and change. I thought they added more money. Check the next day and it still posted the sameway. Checked again this morning and it shows $75 and change.....:confused:
This happens on alot of rest/bars I go to.....I never got why that happened, but as long as my money/acct is right I let it slide.....
***EDIT***
This is common. When using a debit card the place a hold on funds in your account, often for slightly more then the actual bill. This is to protect them until the transfer takes place. Covers any "denial", overdraft or returned item fees. Keeps people from stripping their account to scoff the bill. The higher amount is just a "hold" and funds aren't yet subtracted from your account or credited to theirs.
When the actual transaction (transfer of funds) takes place it's for the true amount of the bill.

Ivan Dan
04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I go to this little bar / grill in Fullerton for lunch allot.
We take turns buying and yesterday my friend said they double charged him on his credit card two different times.
Well yesterday was my day to buy so I whipped out the company plastic like always.
So I check my bank statement online later on that day. Hummm, the total on my receipt + the tip I added is $2.07 less then what my bank is showing they charged me.
So I look into it some more and find out they have been adding a little extra on all my bills.
WTF is up with that? Are they adding their merchant fees to my bill? Sure looks like it. I know that's against any merchant agreement that I've ever seen. Well at least the two that I've had.
I know it’s not the end of the world money wise but I still feel like I’m getting jipped. It might be different if I knew in advance they were adding fees.
What would you do?
Hero's or Stadium Tavern? :D Both have great food and hot waitresses.

Reaper1
04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I work in Fullerton and we often go to Hero's. If it's the chick I'm thinking of, she's got a rockin body but the face doesn't match.:eek:

78Southwind
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Hmmm...
***EDIT***
Notalent
The company is actually putting a hold on an estimated amount of your bill so that they make sure they get paid. Some companies actually put a hold on your money for up to 72 hours. Where you have to be careful is if you keep your debit account funds low you actually could bounce a check and get an insufficient funds charge if the company over estimated too high. I have heard of gas stations holding up to $75 for a $14 charge.

Baja Big Dog
04-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Hope it aint Brians, probobly Biggs....

BoatPI
04-08-2007, 03:45 PM
It is either the owner or employees ripping u and I am sure others off. Make a crime report with Fullerton PD. The detective assigned the case will contact Visa security and conduct an audit of various accounts.
Visa may do this on their own is asked by the PD. the PD will go to the business and ask to examined the charges and slips with the owner. Owners will cooperate on this as I suspect it is a server padding the bill and keeping the additional amount as a tip. The owner can also conduct an audit.
Under stand that individually this is a misdmeanor crime, but they can be viewed as indicidual acts, or in their totalaty as a felony if over $400.
Some DA's may view this, if a continual theft daily by an employee, as burglary, which is s specific intent crime.
Will all of that said, make a crime report first without delay.
BPI

Old school Ultra
04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I heard something on the radio the other night about millions of dollars being scammed thru resturant workers adding tips and skimming account numbers and buying online before you realize it has happened.
Glad to hear they took care of your issue....

Tom Brown
04-08-2007, 04:04 PM
For some reason I feel bad because a person got shit canned from their job.
You still like women though..... right? :confused: