PDA

View Full Version : How do you seal your transom adaptor?

Wally_Gator
02-05-2006, 04:58 PM
For those not running set back pumps, how do you seal your transom adapter?
Do you use silicone or the gasket?

Wicked Performance Boats
02-05-2006, 05:00 PM
use silicone

Squirtin Thunder
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I use the gasket and a little 3M 5200 on the transum adapter and then gasket to transum I use K&N sealing grease. This way you can remove it easy if needed. Sillycone is ugly and always leaks in time. Keep it clean and neat !!!

AZKC
02-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I Don't. But I run a Panther :crossx:

Wally_Gator
02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I will post the reason why I asked after the Super Bowl.
Visited the Boat show today and I disagree with something a vendor was telling a potential buyer...

Brooski
02-05-2006, 05:28 PM
I use silicone.

Wicked Performance Boats
02-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I use the gasket and a little 3M 5200 on the transum adapter and then gasket to transum I use K&N sealing grease. This way you can remove it easy if needed. Sillycone is ugly and always leaks in time. Keep it clean and neat !!!
ST, Is that like KY Jelly? Budlight

Squirtin Thunder
02-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Nope not one bit.

inwo
02-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Just put my fiberglass Dominator adaptor on with black tape caulk. This stuff is super sticky. Had to use an ice cube as a putty knife. (sticks to fingers)
Almost broke it after using silicon last time. Don't want to go thru that again!
And a gasket won't work well with the less than perfect surface.
Only time will tell how this works in the heat. If it doesn't soften up, I'm thinking it will be great. It comes in dif colors, and in foot long strips. Put three strips all the way around. Counter sunk bolt holes, and ground a thin groove (like O ring groove) all the way around intersecting the bolt holes. This is kind of like setting a sink. (plumbing mode off) :)
As I tightened the adapter the caulk oozed out and trimmed up super easy and cleanly.
This worked so sweet, that I decided to try it on the adaptor to bowl gap also. It is just like putting silicon in, but without the mess. You can keep kneading and molding it until it makes a nice bead. If the stickiness gets to be a problem, I figure on giving it a thin coat of paint or silicon to seal it.
Now if I screwed up my pump rebuild it will come out easy. :)

spectras only
02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Visited the Boat show today and I disagree with something a vendor was telling a potential buyer...
Let me guess :idea: . He told him not to use silicon or any adhesive .
I never used any myself.If the transom surface straight and clean the rubber seal does the job. Same with the "O' ring on the bowl .

Rexone
02-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I've always used a little silicone (keyword here being a "little"). Too much you play hell getting them off. 3M 5200 is great stuff but way overkill IMO for this ap, very hard to get apart without breaking things. All you're doing is sealing water out. Good marine grade silicone (like Boatlife), not the home depot household crap.

Wally_Gator
02-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok....
A certain unamed vendor at the boat show was telling some guy about a Berkeley pump and how to seal it. I mentioned the use of marine grade silicone due to the surface of older boats not being perfect for the gasket. This "Parts guy" starts to let into me and says how easy the o-ring is to install and all. I just walked away laughing. It is obvious he was never on the working end of a transom adapter in real life.

spectras only
02-05-2006, 08:35 PM
WG , all I use on the "O" ring is vaseline and the transom plate just slides over. :idea:

spectras only
02-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Mike , I need 4 drinkholders [ red] and you state ano and permacoat ones on your site. What's the diff ? Dave has a bunch of the bigger sizes but I need the smaller ones [ 3 3/8] . He'll be back from mexico on tuesday and I want to order them then.

Cs19
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
3m 5200 and the word easy do not belong in the same post. I hate that stuff.Its the wrong stuff for transom adapters.Window and door silicone is the stuff to use.

YeLLowBoaT
02-05-2006, 08:59 PM
you know 3M makes some stuff that eats siclone for breafest....I have used it alot... I also use it for work when I need to re cualk something( IE around a tub) makes the job ez

Squirtin Thunder
02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Nope works perfect. All that your ataching is the gasket to the adapter. Now if you have to remove the gasket from the adapter it is a bitch. But in 20 years they won't have jet drive boats anyway. They will have Jet Boats.

BigBlockBaja
02-05-2006, 09:20 PM
WG , all I use on the "O" ring is vaseline and the transom plate just slides over. :idea:
This turned GAY fast!!!!!

spectras only
02-05-2006, 09:26 PM
This turned GAY fast!!!!!
Do you want me to use KY-jelly instead :p :rollside:

Cs19
02-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Nope works perfect.
Whatever you say, your the expert Jim. :)

Wally_Gator
02-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I have seen Transom adapters that will not go over the o-ring with the best slippery stuff. But we were discussing the gasket versus silicone...

BigBlockBaja
02-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Do you want me to use KY-jelly instead :p :rollside:
Please, its water based...
:crossx:

WUTWZAT
02-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Whats up Chris, Wally, Budlight, BBB and everyone else! Just wanted to say Hi, and whatever happened to just spitting on it and smacking it from behind?
Well, I used marine grade silicon on mine. The boat hasn't hit the water yet so I don't know if it;ll keep the water out but it sure keeps the water in!
Jason

beerjet
02-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey wally , dont use any thing , I never put any thing on my o ring sept wd-40 to slip it on and nothing on the transon sept the rubber gasket and if it leaks it'll be real easy to remove and then add a little of some crap that will ooz out and turn yellow.

beerjet
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
and by the way , my "o-ring" is fine and water tight!

BigBlockBaja
02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
and by the way , my "o-ring" is fine and water tight!
Watch out now, cuase some guys here have there eye on it..

Wally_Gator
02-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Watch out now, cuase some guys here have there eye on it..
:2purples: