PDA

View Full Version : level at powell

gearjammer
02-05-2006, 05:00 PM
anyone know the water level at powell and were the cool spots are on this lake never been here before just havi and mead

Panic Button
02-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Mardonzi & Titties and Beer know the places...

Mardonzi
02-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Good thing I came back over to the house to make myself a cocktail at halftime,,, so I can answer these important questions....
The lake is supposed to peak out at 3636 ft above sea level this year, according to the Bureau of Reclamation. This is 14 ft more than is necessary to open up the "Castle Rock Cut" and allow boat traffic to circumvent Antelope Canyon and the narrows.
This will open up quite a bit more lake to those "day trippers". Prime spots will include Padre Canyon, Gunsight Canyon, West Canyon and Rock Creek Canyon.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM....

boatnaked
02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
look on www.wayneswords.com a great web site for Lake Powell

Mardonzi
02-05-2006, 08:05 PM
The only untruth to that website is that Antelope Point is unusable.. It is,, and has been,, and has another 35 ft of Lake Level drop till it's unusable.

Big Warlock
02-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Sounds like the lake level is rising again!

Big Warlock
02-06-2006, 07:56 AM
this has been asked before...but what kind of contacts do we have on the board for houseboat connections? A few of us are planning a fall trip to Powell for a week.
Thanks

a catered life
02-06-2006, 08:00 AM
this has been asked before...but what kind of contacts do we have on the board for houseboat connections? A few of us are planning a fall trip to Powell for a week.
Thanks
let me know any information you find out about we want to do a trip next year

AzLakeLizard
02-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks
www.lakepowell.com for the houseboats at Lake Powell Resorts & Marinas/Aramark
then there is the one for Antelope Point Marina www.foreverhouseboats.com

Big Warlock
02-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I appreciate that Lake Lizard!

AzLakeLizard
02-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I appreciate that Lake Lizard!
You are very welcome.. and if anyone seems to have issues with the time slots seeming to be completely booked.. you can call direct to the Boat/Houseboat Rentals office for updated information. 928-645-1172 or 928-645-1111.
(I kind of know a few people down there! :p )

Brian
02-08-2006, 07:10 PM
anyone know the water level at powell and were the cool spots are on this lake never been here before just havi and mead
I like to camp at Oak Bay, about 3 miles or so past Rainbow Bridge. It has nice beaches and sits at the base of Navojo Mountain so the views are great. It's close enough to Dangling Rope for easy restocking runs, and far enough upstream to make a ski trip up San Juan or sightseeing to Escalante an easy day trip. Wherever you end up will be great; it's all spectacular!
:cool:

gearjammer
02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
what marina do you use to get to oak canyon is this a pretty sandy beach or is there any place better

Brian
02-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Oak is around 50 miles upstream from Wahweap. Antelope cuts off about 10 miles or so. From Hall's Crossing or Bullfrog it would be about 60 miles downstream. I could be off by a few miles so don't hold me to it...
Nope, no sand in Oak Bay...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2707oak_bay.JPG
;)

burtandnancy
02-15-2006, 07:24 PM
As of last Friday PM, Lake Powell was down 107', Lake Mead down 89' . This info is found at: www.gf.state.az.us/lake levels.sthml. There may be a shorter way to enter, I don't know. These levels are from full pond. When you look it up yourself there will be other interesting info as well.

VegasHallett
02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Just set the date for the first trip to Lake Powell this year. Hopefully the level will be high June 8th. I really don't want to go around the longgggg way.

burtandnancy
02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah, it came up from -140 to a -107. We're going to need a little more help here. It took 7/8 years to drop to that low, I don't think it'll come back in just a season or so. And have you noticed the amount of rain/snow we've had so far this winter?

VegasHallett
02-16-2006, 07:52 PM
I just hope the Castle cut will be open. What's the odds the water will be up to that level in June?

Outnumbered
02-16-2006, 08:19 PM
word is, they say the cut will be open this year :rollside: i still like running the channel :cool: a little air never hert anyone(yet) :rollside: :rollside:
I don't know, my ass still hurts from the last time I launched the Ultra off the tour boat wake in the channel. That was a hard landing :220v:. I wish I would have been in the tour boat to see the looks on our faces as we sailed by :cool:

AzLakeLizard
02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I don't know, my ass still hurts from the last time I launched the Ultra off the tour boat wake in the channel. That was a hard landing :220v:. I wish I would have been in the tour boat to see the looks on our faces as we sailed by :cool:
Ask TnB about the "mystery wake" we hit in his 28' nordic...mrs TnB and myself lost our hats.. and I can't remember.. but I do beleived there was some screaming involved! :220v:

NuckinFutz
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
If you're looking at the north end (Bullfrog area) shoot me a PM when you're coming and I'll give an update of the places and beaches. Others on here are much better for info on the south end. Currently the launch ramp at Bullfrog is good and will be for about another 5' drop. The summer the launching at Bullfrog looks good with current forcasts.

OnlyMoney
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Ok, who has been hit in the face by one of those wakes and got a bloody nose?? Oh, I guess I'm the only one. :rolleyes:
Can't wait for the cut to be open. I'm sick of everything flying off the counters of the houseboat. :yuk:
Bring on the snow!!!! :rollside:

Mardonzi
02-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Some see it as a bad thing,, I personally look at it as entertainment,, nothing like watching someone who has never ridden a PWC before cruising through that or watching the bass boat guys try to stand their boats on their tail...
As far as the bloody nose thing goes,, I've never experienced that, however, I have spilled my margarita before..... :mad:

Cole1313
02-17-2006, 09:47 AM
18 foot jet boat going 35-40 mph open engine compartment, 4 adults, 1 cooler and one tour boat. Use your imagination! Since that day I have not talked to the two other people who were in my boat. They thought they were going to die

Mardonzi
02-17-2006, 09:53 AM
I bet,, good thing you had the cooler in there for ballast....
We run a 48 ft cruiser out there sometimes,, and watching some of the people that rent boats and how they react to wakes is amazing. I personally blame the boat rental people. They don't give these renters any real instruction on how to operate in that enviroment. They just take the credit card info and do the damage waiver,, and send these guys off.
Usually when we are cruising, if we are passing or have a houseboat coming towards us a bit too close, we'll slow down to about 10 mph.. try to minimize the wake. The tour boats don't do that,, nor do they care. Seems like they have forgotten that they are liable for the damage caused by their wake.

Cole1313
02-17-2006, 09:57 AM
I bet,, good thing you had the cooler in there for ballast....
We run a 48 ft cruiser out there sometimes,, and watching some of the people that rent boats and how they react to wakes is amazing. I personally blame the boat rental people. They don't give these renters any real instruction on how to operate in that enviroment. They just take the credit card info and do the damage waiver,, and send these guys off.
Usually when we are cruising, if we are passing or have a houseboat coming towards us a bit too close, we'll slow down to about 10 mph.. try to minimize the wake. The tour boats don't do that,, nor do they care. Seems like they have forgotten that they are liable for the damage caused by their wake.
48 foot Cruiser?? Do you pull your sea plane as well? Is he still running around there?

OnlyMoney
02-17-2006, 09:59 AM
The bloody nose was in our Conquest, not the best boat for running the channel against the tourboat.
Last year we timed it PERFECTLY and had the tour boat behind us in the no wake zone and by the time we got up to "speed" in the houseboat they were gone and the wakes were already dying. I was a super happy camper.
Although, when we had the Slingshot, the boys were pretty fuzzy and decided to "circle the tour boat" and jump the wake while howling like indians. I'll bet those tourists thought it was part of the show!! :rollside:

Mardonzi
02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
48 foot Cruiser?? Do you pull your sea plane as well? Is he still running around there?
Unfortunately, the seaplane is still on the wish list,, one toy at a time....
There is a guy out of Tuscon that has a red and white Grumman Albatross that lands out on Powell,, cool set up.
The interior is made up like a motorhome,, galley, beds, etc... and he has a couple of pods that he carries PWC's in. Way cool set up.

DeepVee
02-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Friends of ours on the top deck of a houseboat saw a guy knock himself out in the channel last summer. He was in a small runabout, hit a wave, hit his head on the steering wheel and fell to the floor unconscious with no one else in the boat. The boat kept going and was heading directly for one of the 100' cliff walls in Antelope. It sure looked bad but at the last minute the guy woke up, turned the wheel and skipping the boat across the cliff wall. Our friends then pulled along side the guy and offered assistance but he refused, said he had blood all over his face.

OnlyMoney
02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Friends of ours on the top deck of a houseboat saw a guy knock himself out in the channel. He was in a small runabout, hit a wave, hit his head on the steering wheel and fell to the floor unconscious with no one else in the boat. The boat kept going and was heading directly for one of the 100' cliff walls in Antelope. It sure looked bad but at the last minute the guy woke up, turned the wheel and skipping the boat across the cliff wall. Our friends then pulled along side the guy and offered assistance but he refused, said he had blood all over his face.
Nice!

dirty old man
02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
The bow wave off the tour boat is something else! Those mystery rollers are caused by a submarine running too close to the surface. When the sun is just right you won't see it until its too late

Mardonzi
02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
The bow wave off the tour boat is something else! Those mystery rollers are caused by a submarine running too close to the surface. When the sun is just right you won't see it until its too late
Funny,, I always thought the "Mystery Wave" was caused by the driver not paying attention while he was reaching for another Silver Bullet.....

Mardonzi
02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
I WASN'T GETTING A BEER,I WAS LOOKING AT YOUR WIFES TITS :rollside: :cool:
Who said I was talking about you??? If it were you, I would never belittle you and make fun of your boat driving skills for doing something as innocent as looking at my wife...lol
(Wifey still says that the mystery wakes suck though)