PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Hallet

QuickCheetah
04-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know if these are good hulls? I have a chance to pick 1 up for $1600 obo 454 BBC needs a new jet, carb and distributor. Guy said kids jumped over the fence and took the carb and dist. and he bought the boat with the jet out to fix but doesnt have the time...I saw a berk jet with place diverter on CL for $1000.00 is that a good deal? Input please..I dont have pics yet going to see it Monday. Ill post what i take.

MudPumper
04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
My 77 is solid as they come.

DeltaSigBoater
04-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Most boats of that vintage are going to show a bit of age, some more than others depending on how their owner(s) took care of them.
Halletts are solid built boats. However all boats are prone to stress cracks, delamination, blistering and rot.
All Halletts (to my knowledge) were, and still are, laid up with full length stringers. The Day Cruisers of that era are going to weigh about 2800 to 3500 pounds depending on size. Flatbottoms, GN and SK style boats are obviously going to weigh less.
To take off a carb is easy to do, but the distributor takes some doing, so I doubt that a couple of 12 to 14 year olds did it. Unless they were already off and they were justs things to steal. The good news is that these items are easily replaceable at most auto parts stores.
$1000 for a Berkley Jet w/ Place Diverter - Sounds like a good deal, but you never know until you see it in person... & will it fit the same holes in the boat?
Take multiple pictures of everything, even if you think its not important, you'll be glad that you have them later on. And when you post them it will give us a better understanding of what we're dealing with.
Cant wait to see the pictures - Keep us posted!

Schiada Time
04-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Awesome boats. My old '77 now belongs to Mudpumper and my wife and I had many good boating trips in that old boat. A friend of mine had a '73 and the lines are cool on those hulls as well.
Travis

QuickCheetah
04-08-2007, 01:19 PM
No one here has a pic of a Hallett so i have some kind of idea what to expect?

BrendellaJet
04-08-2007, 01:40 PM
you are asking about a boat you haven't even gone to look at?
The pump/diverter deal is good if the parts are all there and in good shape. A new diverter is $750 alone. Used they go for 300-400.

ck7684
04-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Pulling the distributor takes time??? Like what, 5 sec??

QuickCheetah
04-08-2007, 03:08 PM
you are asking about a boat you haven't even gone to look at?
The pump/diverter deal is good if the parts are all there and in good shape. A new diverter is $750 alone. Used they go for 300-400.
yea, im going to look at it tomorrow...i found a berk jet with diverter for 1k.

hallett72
04-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey QuickCheetah here is some pics of my project. She isn't much to look at but i got good plans for her. I would say $1600 is great price as long as there isn't a lot of rot. They are a heavy hull, they have full stringers, and ride wet. I haven't had mine in the water yet but i hear from people on here that they ride great. Gugs102 has a beautiful Hallet, PM him he might be able to send you a pic and some info.

GUGS102
04-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey QuickCheetah here is some pics of my project. She isn't much to look at but i got good plans for her. I would say $1600 is great price as long as there isn't a lot of rot. They are a heavy hull, they have full stringers, and ride wet. I haven't had mine in the water yet but i hear from people on here that they ride great. Gugs102 has a beautiful Hallet, PM him he might be able to send you a pic and some info.
Hey , thanks for the compliment, it's only beautiful if you can dig a brown boat. As for the construction, mine is a 78 and has NO stress cracks. Mine does not have a floor over the stringers which gives you more room to move around and the hull is a little deeper than most which makes it ride better.
Mine is "family sleeper" look with a vintage 70s tan and brown gel. With a tock 454 it ran 60 with the water at the dash. Runs better now...

DeltaSigBoater
04-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Seems to me that is gonna be 19' project fun.
What year is your boat?

Klinger
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I Have The Same Boat As Gugs The 78 Halett Sprint. I've Been Around Jet Boats My Whole Life And My Hallet Is The Best Riding Boat I've Ever Been In. Thats What I Hear From Most That Ride In It Too. I'll Try To Post Pics

hallett72
04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Yep it's going to be one heck of a project. It's a 72 Hallett Jet Sprint. I dought i will be done by this summer, money is the big issue right now. Gettting married in 6 months gotta save money for that. Yeah Klinger if you could post some pics would be great I could always use some ideas and inspiration. Quick question Gugs, i don't have a floor either i was debating in putting a floor in it or not. Can you give me any advice (pro's and con's). Also where do you store your ski's?

DeltaSigBoater
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Yep it's going to be one heck of a project. It's a 72 Hallett Jet Sprint. I dought i will be done by this summer, money is the big issue right now. Gettting married in 6 months gotta save money for that. Yeah Klinger if you could post some pics would be great I could always use some ideas and inspiration. Quick question Gugs, i don't have a floor either i was debating in putting a floor in it or not. Can you give me any advice (pro's and con's). Also where do you store your ski's?
Not saying you're wrong, but the from the your pictures posted I'd say your boat is mid to late 70's vintage, based on the way the transome portion of the deck is molded. You may want to check the hull id # which will tell you what month & year the boat was built.

hallett72
04-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey there deltasigboater thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure which numbers make up the month and year but if it's the last four then your right it was made 08 of '78. Crap that would make my meber id worng. Damn newbies. Opps... Thanks!

Klinger
04-10-2007, 09:34 AM
http://a596.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00712/59/57/712537595_l.jpg
http://a282.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00712/18/27/712487281_l.jpg
AN $800 INVESTMENT AFTER TWO YEARS AND ANOTHER 0 AFTER THAT:)

Klinger
04-10-2007, 09:36 AM
http://a99.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00532/89/01/532771098_l.jpg

GUGS102
04-10-2007, 10:05 AM
http://a596.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00712/59/57/712537595_l.jpg
http://a282.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00712/18/27/712487281_l.jpg
AN $800 INVESTMENT AFTER TWO YEARS AND ANOTHER 0 AFTER THAT:)
Have any more. I'm thinking of changing my seating arrangement. What buckets are those?
What are you running for a mill, pump etc. and what MPH at what RPM? Curious for a benchmark and secret trading.

hallett72
04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Hey Klinger beautiful Hallett. The Halletts are coming out of the wood work. Now looking at Klingers Hallett I would have to say yeah mine is a 78 cause they look identical. I got mine for free and as you can tell it is going to be a a few more bills to build up. Klinger do you have a floor or are your stinger exposed. Those are some nice seats where did you get them. They look like there from a newer boat.

Klinger
04-10-2007, 11:18 AM
THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS GUYS. ITS A MILD 454, JC PUMP RUNS BOUT 62-64 IM NOT REALLY SURE I NEVER HAD A GPS ON IT. HAD MY INTERIOR DONE AT A SHOP IN RIVERSIDE I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE SHOP BUT THE OWNER IS ERNESTO AND HE DOES THE BEST MARINE INTERIORS IVE SEEN YET. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND HE DOES INTERIORS FOR COMMANDER AND ELIMINATOR. $1500 FOR TWO BUCKETS, A BENCH, SIDE PANELS AND CARPET. PHONE IS (951)378-5128 IF INTERESTED. GOOD GUY AND DOES GELCOAT TOO. MINE IS A FULL STRINGER BOAT BUT I ADDED A FALSE FLOOR BETWEEN THE STRINGERS I WAS TIRED OF WATER RUSHING FOWARD WHEN I COME TO A STOP:rolleyes:

disco_charger
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Love the Sprint. My old man had one. Great riding boat for a 19'

hallett72
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Hey klinger thanks for the interior shop alittle far for me. Rverside is down by Los Angeles I think. Might have to find something a little more north. You say you have a false floor. did you just go from stringer to stringer or did you go all the way across. I have thought of both ways. Me and my family like skiing so i was thinking the floor so i could possible do some storage but i notice that because the seat setup i don't have much between the seats. Also people say if it can't breath you can rot your stringers faster.

Klinger
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
i actually cut a board to fit between the middle of the stringer all the way down to the floor because i like to have the depth inside between the seats. if you ran a board all the way across on top of the stringers the seats would be up too high and not very comfortable for your legs. i just laid resin down on both sides of the board then fiberglassed it in. simple and done deal. i'll try to get better interior pics for you this weekend

GM Killer
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
I have a 19' that is a solid and a nice riding hull.

hallett72
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
i actually cut a board to fit between the middle of the stringer all the way down to the floor because i like to have the depth inside between the seats. if you ran a board all the way across on top of the stringers the seats would be up too high and not very comfortable for your legs. i just laid resin down on both sides of the board then fiberglassed it in. simple and done deal. i'll try to get better interior pics for you this weekend
Hey i think i know what you are talking about. I made a sketch. I didn't think about the fact that you would't have any leg room cause the seats would basically be on the floor, like sitting on a cushion. Thanks

Klinger
04-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Thats It!!

RICKYB
04-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Looks good Klinger that place looks real familiar good times bro.

Klinger
04-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Ha Ha Straight Up!!