PDA

View Full Version : Priceless

probablecause
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Engine Hoist - $150.00
Engine Stand - $80.00
The fact that my wife thinks that the motor was remove for some basic maintenance - Priceless!!!
Thanks to all of you who have posted info about how to remove a motor. It was pretty easy. Can't wait for the gear drive, headers, tunnel ram, and dual 650's.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/priceless.jpg

YeLLowBoaT
04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
oh boy you better hope she does not check HB from time to time...

Moneypitt
04-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I hope yoyu got the "silent" gear drive, cause the silent one is LOUD, I can just imagine the regular one........MP

MudPumper
04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd think twice about the gear drive. It may sound cool at first but its gonna bug the shit out of you after a bit, especially if you like to cruise for any distance.

TahitiTiger
04-08-2007, 08:03 AM
HARBOR FREIGHT! I got the same set in my moms garage. :D
Mum loves the fact that my boat takes up most of her back yard :D

El Prosecutor
04-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Yep, I got plenty of that orange stuff in my garage too. Sometimes I feel guilty for buying all that Chinese made stuff, but on a budget it is either used equipment (when I can find it), no equipment, or Harbor Freight sometimes.

4604me
04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
and you trust that harber freight stand to hold a complete moter.I would through a old tire under it just in case. Harber freight = cheep. my 2.cts

malcolm
04-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah, that's their 1000 lb stand, but still.... :D
I have to admit I've done that with the same stand before. ;)

YeLLowBoaT
04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, that's their 1000 lb stand, but still.... :D
I have to admit I've done that with the same stand before. ;)
I bought one of those 1000lb stands... in the insturctions say its only 750...:jawdrop:
Its not built very well and its a apain in the ass to turn. I would not put a complete engine on it. I built my short block on it, then put it on a roling storage cart to build the rest.

biggraypig
04-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Looks like basic maintainance to me.

malcolm
04-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'd take that radial arm saw and cut a 2x4 the right length to joe-poke under the balancer or pan to keep it from bouncing when you move it. :)
Then use the wall mounted vacuum to suck up all the saw dust. ;)

Squirtcha?
04-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Yep, I got plenty of that orange stuff in my garage too. Sometimes I feel guilty for buying all that Chinese made stuff, but on a budget it is either used equipment (when I can find it), no equipment, or Harbor Freight sometimes.
I wouldn't feel too guilty about it. My Craftsman drill press was made in China too. Half the shit you buy these days (even stuff with American sounding names) is made in china. I've got just about everything HF makes and it all works. Just watch their air tool ratings. Let's just say that they're a little optimistic when they say a tool takes 5 cfm it's probably more like 12-14 cfm. You can always take it back though. I've found that Lowes Kobalt air tools are rated correctly, are relatively inexpensive and work real well (I buy low buck stuff).
and you trust that harber freight stand to hold a complete moter.I would through a old tire under it just in case. Harber freight = cheep. my 2.cts
I've put my motor and several others on that little stand and left em on there for whole winters. I do use a little chock piece under the crank/balancer just in case though.
Didn't have it under there for this particular picture though. Motor is complete right down to 10 quarts of oil in the pan.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/motor_shot.jpg

Taylorman
04-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Just watch their air tool ratings. Let's just say that they're a little optomistic when they say a tool takes 5 cfm it's probably more like 12-14 cfm.
Holy crap, its funny you say that about the air tool. I have two chicago pneumatic die grinders from HF. I was using one the other day and was having problems. I though it was my HF air compressor not being able to keep up with the demand of the air tool.

TahitiTiger
04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
when I had my 455 on the harbor stand all was good. When I started putting the logs on, intake, etc I got scared and took em off LOL. Plus it was much easier to manuever half dressed engine. :D
As for my air tools, dare I say it, Snap on for 90%. My air buffer is a CP though :D

pw_Tony
04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
Psh... not everyone has $350 for a torque wrench or $95 per rachet. I just wished I had a harbor freight over here in Bullhead, I'm used to two being on every block haha