PDA

View Full Version : What would you do! (involved alcohol)

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Had a party for the fight last nite and one of our good friend who has no kids gave 2 14 year old girls a jello shot . He admits he gave the girls a shot and that girls kept pressuring him to give them the shot. The story from the two girls is the same they said we kept bugging him foe the shot . Now the 2 parents of the girls want to prees charges on the guy . Is that right. The friend was drinking and made a bad decision, now 2 parents want to ruin his life with this charge . This friend accually has a child he provides for but is not allowd visitation (thats why i said no kids) and cant do so if behind bars. The big kicker in this is the uncle of one of the girls who got a shot violently went after the the guy who gave the shot and a fight insued (no injuries thank god) and set a very bad example infront of all the kids. This is breaking many long frendships up because of a mistake on not 1 mans fault in making a bad decision by giving alcohol but all of us reacting in the wrong manner. So would you pess charges the friend giving alcohol or the uncle being violent ,Both! Or should you sit all the families down and learn from it and move on. We all have teenagers and we we all were teenagers once. We all have made bad decisions as adults also which problably included alcohol.

Boatcop
04-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Drinking age is 21. We're called adults since we're supposed to have better judgment then teenagers. Giving alcohol to a minor is a crime. If the parents want to press charges, that's their choice and right.
What, if after downing a few jello shots, these 14 year old girls wanted to have sex your friend? After all it's their choice, and your friend had been drinking, so it's not his fault, right? The girls were bugging him for it, so he's absolved of all responsibility, right?
Bad decisions have consequences. If you're lucky, the parents won't drag your butt into this, since it was your party. If you're not lucky, I hope you have a good lawyer.

curtiej
04-08-2007, 09:05 AM
How about taking a look at the kids.Do you think this is thier first time drinking.Sure the guy was wrong but to press charges come on.

lewiville
04-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Bad decisions have consequences. If you're lucky, the parents won't drag your butt into this, since it was your party. If you're not lucky, I hope you have a good lawyer.
Oh boy!:eek: :eek: :jawdrop: I have seen this happen more than enough times to know that if they are pressing charges they will by-pass your buddy and go right to you. I hope you dont owne your home? They wont go after your friend ( they might ), but from my experience and seeing this happen ( not on my part ) the parents will get a layer and sue you right to the poor house.

Schiada76
04-08-2007, 09:08 AM
We had some friends at the river house two years ago ask my wife to make their 16 year old daughter a margarita.:sqeyes:
They can't figure out why they haven't been invited back.:rolleyes:

lewiville
04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
We had some friends at the river house two years ago ask my wife to make their 16 year old daughter a margarita.:sqeyes:
They can't figure out why they haven't been invited back.:rolleyes:
very good move. Because of that you still have your house:D

John.
04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
if the friend could go and grab the jello shots, then why couldn't the girls just sneak the shots themselves? bad decision, but I don't think it was bad enough to press charges. I assume that they didn't get drunk off the 1 shot and do other bad things themselves. how did the parents even find out? worse decision of the father to start a fight over it. he was probably hyped up on alcohol and after watching the fights on TV wanted one himself.

John.
04-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Oh boy!:eek: :eek: :jawdrop: I have seen this happen more than enough times to know that if they are pressing charges they will by-pass your buddy and go right to you. I hope you dont owne your home? They wont go after your friend ( they might ), but from my experience and seeing this happen ( not on my part ) the parents will get a layer and sue you right to the poor house.
just curious, what would the parents have to sue over? what loss did they have over 1 jello shot?

desperado
04-08-2007, 09:14 AM
How many daughters do you have ultrajohn?

roostwear
04-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Now that the legal opinion has been rendered, maybe a little "social" opinion is in order. Yup, your friend screwed up. Did it do any harm to the kids? No. Would it do any good to prosecute him? No. The parents are over-reacting and are avoiding another important fact... the kids were bugging him to give them a shot. A sit down with all parties involved would be best case (if possible).
The whole having sex after a shot scenario smacks of reefer madness paranoia. Please. Next, it'll be turning into a crackwhore of heroin addict and shots are a starter drug.:jawdrop:

EAZYKILLER2006
04-08-2007, 09:17 AM
How about taking a look at the kids.Do you think this is thier first time drinking.Sure the guy was wrong but to press charges come on.
exactly! ...kids these days are going to go shit, either was...i never give the under age one shit.... the guy sho
uld of said "its there if you want it but, i am not giving it to you"...to bad he got caught up in this mess...
i am around a grip of what i call "the kiddies" since i dont judge ...listen. and am kewl with them.... the tell me alot of shit...if parents only knew...boy do i have stories...
PPL ALWAYS WANT TO BLAME "SOMEONE FOR SOMETHING"...

lewiville
04-08-2007, 09:17 AM
just curious, what would the parents have to sue over? what loss did they have over 1 jello shot?
its California brotha. First its the fact that a minor had the opportunity to take it, or get it and then no super vision of the minor. I know its sounds trivial, but thats just how it all starts.
The lawyers go after the home owners insurance. Then they have a "jello shot" of there owne.

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 09:19 AM
shouldent the parents on the girls be resonsible for watching them.should the uncle be charged with assault. just asking.And yes the sex thing crossed my mind but it wasnt that type of situation.

Mandelon
04-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Geez, make sure those parents don't take their kids to Europe. :rolleyes:
The guy goofed up, but to make a legal case out of it is just silly. :sqeyes:

lewiville
04-08-2007, 09:22 AM
shouldent the parents on the girls be resonsible for watching them.should the uncle be charged with assault. just asking.And yes the sex thing crossed my mind but it wasnt that type of situation.
yeah, I think a simple sit down and talking about it should be enough. This do happen like this, and as a kid at one time, I always knew how to get what I wanted. Hell I had a fake I.D. when I was 17 or 18. Good Ol' Steve Chapman was my name:devil: :D :D

Sleek-Jet
04-08-2007, 09:23 AM
There is more at play here, and it sounds like the parents and kids have some serious issues...
If you could press the parents, I'm willing to bet they had their first drink or two in their early teens and probably not in the same environment (with adults and parents around).
I would go as far as to say the girls had probably been bugging their parents for a jello-shot all evening, gave up and found someone more willing to bend to their wishes. The parents are pissed at the kids, but not wanting to upset them to much, the adult friend is getting the brunt of their anger.

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 09:24 AM
the shots were in the theater room and we dont let the kids under 16 in the theater during fight nite the jello shots were the only alcohole in the room other then what someone had in there hand. And not my house my best friends house and all the people involved have been friends for many years like 15 or more.

photo chick
04-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Were the parent's of the girls at the party too? Why is it that kids today are not responsible for anything...they're 14 and old enough to know better!! The girls should be in trouble too! Yes this guy made a bad choice but to press charges, get real!!
If this happened in TX no one would even know, the kids would've had a great time, the parent's too.....ridiculous!! Makes me not miss Cali when I hear stuff like this:mad:

NashvilleBound
04-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Drinking age is 21. We're called adults since we're supposed to have better judgment then teenagers. Giving alcohol to a minor is a crime. If the parents want to press charges, that's their choice and right.
What, if after downing a few jello shots, these 14 year old girls wanted to have sex your friend? After all it's their choice, and your friend had been drinking, so it's not his fault, right? The girls were bugging him for it, so he's absolved of all responsibility, right?
Exactly! Be thankful your not involved....yet. Tho all three should be in trouble somewhat equally. The 14year olds should not be asking for jello shots....that in itself tells me they are already going down the wrong road. No cure for stupid.

Kim Hanson
04-08-2007, 09:30 AM
the shots were in the theater room and we dont let the kids under 16 in the theater during fight nite the jello shots were the only alcohole in the room other then what someone had in there hand. And not my house my best friends house and all the people involved have been friends for many years like 15 or more.
Friends don't press charges on you.........( . )( . )..........Enemy's do :idea:
What is a lousy shot going to do? Talk about blow this all out of proportions, those are not friends.........:idea:

riverroyal
04-08-2007, 09:30 AM
so next time dont invite anyone,just sit alone and drink.Thats what I would do:D

XtrmWakeborder
04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Now that the legal opinion has been rendered, maybe a little "social" opinion is in order. Yup, your friend screwed up. Did it do any harm to the kids? No. Would it do any good to prosecute him? No. The parents are over-reacting and are avoiding another important fact... the kids were bugging him to give them a shot. A sit down with all parties involved would be best case (if possible).
The whole having sex after a shot scenario smacks of reefer madness paranoia. Please. Next, it'll be turning into a crackwhore of heroin addict and shots are a starter drug.:jawdrop:
Bingo..man this gives me an idea. I'll have some kids, send them to a party and ask them to beg for a drink, then sue the guy for his house! Free house, and no harm done to me or my kids. Brilliant! Give me a fockin break, this society is retarded.

JetBoatRich
04-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Sounds like an over recation to me, I don't want anyone giving my kids alcohol and would not be happy if it happened, but pressing charges?
Was it one jello shot or did he get them drunk?

MR.rvrluvr
04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
where they strawberry or watermellon...Yes it does matter..:D :D

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
definitly not drunk the jello shots were very lite and small it would take 5 of 6 to get one ounce of alcohol and we found out immedietly.

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Peach and strawberry !

JetBoatRich
04-08-2007, 09:39 AM
definitly not drunk the jello shots were very lite and small it would take 5 of 6 to get one ounce of alcohol and we found out immedietly.
sounds more like life lessons:sqeyes:

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Life Lesson I Agree!

BadKachina
04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Who cares, tell your kids not to drink and get over it. :idea:

SHOTKALLIN
04-08-2007, 09:47 AM
IMHO Jello shots should not be served around teenagers if you don't want them drinking. When I was a teenager my folks had wine coolers at thier parties and we definitely sneaked a few. Was it terrible? No. Predictable? I would think so. The guy who served the shots is obviously a moron. Every family has them. Why else would someone not have visitation to his own kids? Honestly it sounds olike your friends life is already ruined.

SHOTKALLIN
IMHO Jello shots should not be served around teenagers if you don't want them drinking. When I was a teenager my folks had wine coolers at thier parties and we definitely sneaked a few. Was it terrible? No. Predictable? I would think so. The guy who served the shots is obviously a moron. Every family has them. Why else would someone not have visitation to his own kids? Honestly it sounds olike your friends life is already ruined.

AZJD
Who cares, tell your kids not to drink and get over it. :idea:
Beat me to it Paul! Let cooler heads prevail in a day or two! And if your inviting people that are bringing kids to a party with alcohol, they will get it while no ones looking if they want it bad enough......I always did. As far as the uncle trying to fight, he needs to have some charges pressed against him. He set a great example!

Mandelon
04-08-2007, 09:48 AM
The kids see the grownups doing the shots, and having fun, and typically the more alcohol, the more fun....
They are just imitating the adults...that's what kids do.
My kids get virgin margaritas. So far they understand the rules, gotta be 21. Its the law, they can't argue the point.
Heck, I am 21 twice now.... LOL

460 jus getn it
04-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Bad decision, chalk it up as a bad decision and everyone move on. If the parties have been friends for years, this is a silly thing to ruin frindships over. Chances are this isnt the first time the girls have drank. The parents of these 2 girls better to some looking into there childs lives. Next is them having sex and getting prego.

4trax
04-08-2007, 10:03 AM
I agree with Rooooostwear! Over reacting, Just drop it.

MudPumper
04-08-2007, 10:05 AM
exactly! ...kids these days are going to go shit, either was...i never give the under age one shit.... the guy sho
uld of said "its there if you want it but, i am not giving it to you"...to bad he got caught up in this mess...
i am around a grip of what i call "the kiddies" since i dont judge ...listen. and am kewl with them.... the tell me alot of shit...if parents only knew...boy do i have stories...
PPL ALWAYS WANT TO BLAME "SOMEONE FOR SOMETHING"...
Geez, make sure those parents don't take their kids to Europe. :rolleyes:
The guy goofed up, but to make a legal case out of it is just silly. :sqeyes:
Exactly!!!

Wet Dream
04-08-2007, 10:05 AM
WOW. What happened to our society? These do-good douche bags want to press charges? Are they so pure that they never did things as kids? Illegal or not, get real. If the kids got drunk, that might be one thing, but for one Jello shot, go screw. Thats the equivalent of doing 56 in a 55.

MR.rvrluvr
04-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Peach and strawberry !
thanx:D :D you'll be fine then all is well....If they were lime, OH SHEET you would be in deeeeeeeeeeeeep water

Boatcop
04-08-2007, 10:09 AM
My reference to sex wasn't to imply that one jello shot would turn them into nymphomaniacs. It was to illustrate that adults are the ones that need to be responsible when teenagers are around, and to not use the excuse that "he'd been drinking" to rationalize bad behavior.
Children (and yes, 14 years old is still a child) can't always make the right decisions. That's what we're here for.

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the responses i never thought this thread would build this fast . I feel the same way . JUST DROP IT AND LETS ALL MOVE ON AS FRIENDS!

John.
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
How many daughters do you have ultrajohn?
zero kids for me. probably never gunna have kids either. and yeah, that probably plays into my feelings on this topic. I think it was an overreaction.

Flyinbowtie
04-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Alan has given you the straight scoop.
What you have is a situation where someone in your home gave alcohol to two minors.Then, an adult relative of the minors intervened with the person who provided the alcohol, and a fight ensued.
If a local cop comes out to write a report because the parents or uncle are desirous of a complaint, they are going to spend days interviewing the minors, you, the man who provided, (handed the kids the shots) and the two who fought, and everbody else at the party.
The D.A. is going to look at this cluster, and going to try to determine if there is a crime here that he can convince a judge/jury to render a verdict of guilty on. The DA knows the guy who handed the kids the shots is going to want to file a battery complaint agains the uncle, and vice-versa. This is a tough case to make in a criminal court, but it sure as hell can be done, depending on lots of factors.
Now, in a civil case, the parents of the minors, (whom it sounds like were present at the party), share some responsibility for controlling thier children. The fact that alcohol was in the house is clear, the fact that somebody not the homeowner handed it to the children is clear, and if their is civil liability here I think it could go either way, a jury may fault the guy who handed the booze as primary, the homeowner as secondary, and the parents as at fault for not exercising suprvision.
Ideally, a group made up of somebody who can act like an adult from all involved corners, blessed with the authority to speak for their side, can sit down and talk this out, realizing that nobody really wins in these deals. Friendships have been ruined here already, the damage is done. Is it really going to serve to educate those kids and / or repair the other wounds by taking it into the legal system?
I think not.
However, you have to get people on a rational playing field if you hope to have them come to the same conclusion. Getting them therre might be the toughest move; I'd be on the phone to my attorney and my homeowners ins. co. ASAP to get them up to speed.

TCHB
04-08-2007, 10:31 AM
1. Should not have given shots (stupid)
2. Parents over reacting
3. Hopefully nothing else happend
Lesson Learned
Do not be stupid it can bite you.
I agree with EZ that these kids are most likely allready drinking and the parents do not want to face what teen age kids can do.
I hope it all works out.
Legal issue- Giving a minor liquor

Sanger D
04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
just make sure you never ask a cop for his/hers opinion:rolleyes: the kids parents and the kids ALREADY had a problem!!!!don't invite the drunk anymore and ALL attendants do not need to be that drunk around kids anyways...................FRICKIN MOROOOONS!!!!!

eliminated1
04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
JUST GOT THE CALL charges are going to be droped

4trax
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
That's cool, True friends can and will work this out. Without the law involved.

DAVEO
04-08-2007, 10:55 AM
This type of stuff kills me. Lead by example. If you are drinking and having a good time with younger kids around they are going to think the same way drinking = fun. It was what I thought growing up. Now I have been sober for 15 years. I was a drunk due to young drinking. Kids see thing in a differant light. Mom and Dad partying looks like fun I cant wait till I can drink. Most of the time its the parents that give there kids the first drink. Now should they be charged with contributing to a minor. Same differance. Ask the parents Have they ever given the girls a drink. If they say yes then it started back then. Yes you friend was wrong. I cant see pressing charges for a jello shot.
Im not one to say drinking is bad and dont do it but only do it when of age. I wish I could drink but I know better I cant handle my alcohol consumption. Its all or nothing. just my .02

EAZYKILLER2006
04-08-2007, 10:56 AM
good job... it lets ya know what kind of ppl ya dont want as friends...sue? just not right...can you imagine ppl like this on your boat? ..they get hurt and want to sue ya...:sqeyes: :mad:

4trax
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
good job... it lets ya know what kind of ppl ya dont want as friends...sue? just not right...can you imagine ppl like this on your boat? ..they get hurt and want to sue ya...:sqeyes: :mad:
My thoughts exactly.

DeltaSigBoater
04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Who among us on here has not contributed to the delinquency of minors? I haven't done so for a number of years now.
But giving alcohol to 14 year olds is different than giving alcohol to 18, 19, & 20 year olds, even though both are not legally old enough to drink.
Pressing charges on the guy who gave the girls shots is within the rights of their parents, since they girls are Juvenile Minors, not Minor Adults.
Another thing you might what to know, if the event was at your residence, you too could be brought up on charges for furnishing alcohol to minors, even though you actually didn't give them any alcohol.
Even though I don't have kids of my own, I think its the parents responsibility to teach their children about such matters. While remembering that kids will imitate the behavior and actions of the adults around them. If they see their parents and friends of their parents, drinking heavily, making lude comments, and acting inappropriately then it’s only a matter of time before the kids start acting in that fashion too.

HTRDLNCN
04-08-2007, 11:14 AM
another example of people wanting the goverment+law to
do what they should be doing,taking responsibility for their
own godarn kids instead of expecting everyone else to do it for them.
When I grew up drinking age was 17 and we grew up and acted
a hell of alot more responsible than the kids that grewup with 21
as the drinking age.
Good to see charges were dropped,...

EAZYKILLER2006
04-08-2007, 11:23 AM
another example of people wanting the goverment+law to
do what they should be doing,taking responsibility for their
own godarn kids instead of expecting everyone else to do it for them.
When I grew up drinking age was 17 and we grew up and acted
a hell of alot more responsible than the kids that grewup with 21
as the drinking age.
Good to see charges were dropped,...
my gosh i LOVE your avater...http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/eazykiller2006/Image1.jpg
is that your dog?...looks like my beloved lobo...RIP...i know i knowhttp://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/style_emoticons/default/hijack.gif

djunkie
04-08-2007, 11:31 AM
I agree. Its amazing what people will do nowadays. The defintion of friends just aint what it used to be.

460 jus getn it
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Glad to hear things got worked out.

SUBPRIME
04-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Growing up in missouri (don't know if that applies although I think I would have gotten into a lot more trouble if I had grown up in Southern Cal) my mother, in high school would buy me any alchohol I wanted but I had rules I had to follow, couldn't leave the house (she took my keys), and there was always a chore to be done in the morning after a night of drinking, but my mother knew a very important fact I would be drinking anyways if she didn't provide it for me, I would be sneaking around (probably driving) and drinking anyways. If I had to drink she wanted it to be at home and under her supervision. Everyone where I grew up drank in high school. I had my moments, believe it was my 17th birthday and I had a party, had a few friends over we were boozing (now this is the country, not Socal where everyone is looking to sue everyone else, I know this would be a bad decision here and now) I got totally hammered and went outside to puke and passed out. My mother put me to bed, not a moment that I was happy about, but I believe this was an important lesson that has helped me handle alchohol through the rest of my life. When I went to college and was around a bunch of kids that had never been away from thier parents, they went totally crazy, in my frat there would be kids past out in the halls of the house with sharpe marker all over thier face, acting completely ignorat and drunk, and not keeping up thier responsibility's of school. The kids that came from the strictest parents seemed to be the wildest! Don't get me wrong I partied alot in college but I always made it back to my bed, never drank and drove, and graduated in 4 years. I think if I had not had the opportunity to drink all I wanted before I left home I would have handled myself very differently when I left home, in regards to boozing and partying.

f_inscreenname
04-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Some poor taste here.
1, Your buddy giving the them shots. Even though in the 70’s it was cool to “rather have them drink at home” in this day and age it is no longer accepted.
2, The folks that brought their 14 year old kids to a “Adult Party”. If you cant trust your kids to be out of site at a party that has drinking going on then they should have never been there. They are 14, if they wanted it they would have got it one way or another. I sure did. It doesn’t excuse your friend though. Also at 14 you do not want to go to mom and dad’s, friends boxing party that’s for sure. I bet one of the reasons they were brought to the party instead of left home in the first place was the parents were afraid that they would have boys over or would have been drinking or smoking, etc, etc or could not be trusted for some reason. With what all teenagers do.
If anyone reads this that has teenagers and thinks they can trust them 100% to always due right, you are a fool. I went to a all boys Catholic high school. Some of the parties I was at have not been matched to this day! Oh and the geeks were there, the jocks, the cool kids ……..They just had to be home by midnight because their parents trusted them to be.
3, The uncle wanting to fight in someone’s home over this….what a ass. If he was so “the great uncle” where was he when it happened? Not watching out for his poor defenseless teenager nieces. He’s probably pissed that they didn’t ask him instead and I’m sure it would have been OK then.
4, Your choice of friends (the parents). Going to bring the cops to you house over this. Embarrass you in front of friends and neighbors. I’m sure it’s the neighborhood scuttle butt already. Lets throw in some court appearances (lost time at work and lawyer fees) and if you have kids a couple social service visits to prove you are not feeding your kids dog food and making them smoke crack. Good luck with that when they have “lets make a example of this guy” attitude. Lets do that to a “friend” that was nice enough to invite their sorry asses to the party in the first place. Its not like its their or their kids fault in anyway. I’m sure they were held down and had the shooter crammed down their throat. It wasn’t like they were scheming to get them in anyway. Ya right!
When are parents going to stand up and be responsible? They are worse then teenagers these days. “Its not our fault, its theirs. They made me do it” Grow the F___ up parents and be parents for gods sakes! If they are that pissed take away their cell phones and credit cards for a month you f_in pansies.
5, The teenagers. You don’t ask a adult to get you drinks. Be a little more creative. You deserved to get caught.

4trax
04-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Growing up in missouri (don't know if that applies although I think I would have gotten into a lot more trouble if I had grown up in Southern Cal) my mother, in high school would buy me any alchohol I wanted but I had rules I had to follow, couldn't leave the house (she took my keys), and there was always a chore to be done in the morning after a night of drinking, but my mother knew a very important fact I would be drinking anyways if she didn't provide it for me, I would be sneaking around (probably driving) and drinking anyways. If I had to drink she wanted it to be at home and under her supervision. Everyone where I grew up drank in high school. I had my moments, believe it was my 17th birthday and I had a party, had a few friends over we were boozing (now this is the country, not Socal where everyone is looking to sue everyone else, I know this would be a bad decision here and now) I got totally hammered and went outside to puke and passed out. My mother put me to bed, not a moment that I was happy about, but I believe this was an important lesson that has helped me handle alchohol through the rest of my life. When I went to college and was around a bunch of kids that had never been away from thier parents, they went totally crazy, in my frat there would be kids past out in the halls of the house with sharpe marker all over thier face, acting completely ignorat and drunk, and not keeping up thier responsibility's of school. The kids that came from the strictest parents seemed to be the wildest! Don't get me wrong I partied alot in college but I always made it back to my bed, never drank and drove, and graduated in 4 years. I think if I had not had the opportunity to drink all I wanted before I left home I would have handled myself very differently when I left home, in regards to boozing and partying.
I agree, it was the same for me. As a parent of 3. I would do the same.

moneypit
04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
boy times have changed. My parents allowed me to have a party at home in 1982. Thay said it was ok if they could be there to over see things... There was a lot of alcohol....No one got hurt, we drank, and everyone still comments about how cool my parents are and what a great time they had at my Toga party... The parents were all cool about it back then.
Having a party like that now would be a crime. Parents get all bent out of shape.. My parents allowed me to drink under age as long as it was done with them... funny thing is that I never cared to. I did it a few times... But I believe the way they handled the situation helped form the way I am now. I could care less about alcohol... I like it, I have a good time, but I could give a shit if I drink it or not.
People tody jump the gun and get all butt hurt about.. I'm not saying its right or wrong but I'm amazed that someone would press charges over a frickin jello shot, or some uncle for kicking ass on the guy. These girls are fourteen. They have most likely drank alcohol before and had sex. HELL maybe they have done drugs...They might do it next weekend also. The guy was wrong for doing it. He should have used better judgement... but to press charges? gimme a break...

YeLLowBoaT
04-08-2007, 12:03 PM
14 is a little young for jello shots. Maybe, they might get a dessert that has some booze in it, maybe.

4trax
04-08-2007, 12:16 PM
boy times have changed. My parents allowed me to have a party at home in 1982. Thay said it was ok if they could be there to over see things... There was a lot of alcohol....No one got hurt, we drank, and everyone still comments about how cool my parents are and what a great time they had at my Toga party... The parents were all cool about it back then.
Having a party like that now would be a crime. Parents get all bent out of shape.. My parents allowed me to drink under age as long as it was done with them... funny thing is that I never cared to. I did it a few times... But I believe the way they handled the situation helped form the way I am now. I could care less about alcohol... I like it, I have a good time, but I could give a shit if I drink it or not.
People tody jump the gun and get all butt hurt about.. I'm not saying its right or wrong but I'm amazed that someone would press charges over a frickin jello shot, or some uncle for kicking ass on the guy. These girls are fourteen. They have most likely drank alcohol before and had sex. HELL maybe they have done drugs...They might do it next weekend also. The guy was wrong for doing it. He should have used better judgement... but to press charges? gimme a break...
You are correct. Today, it would be a crime if I did it. But..... I still did it for my oldest sons Graduation party. I had signs up all over and told parents about it also and everybody was real cool with it.

Baja Big Dog
04-08-2007, 12:39 PM
"THATS WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR"
Not the first redeo for these little butes!!
IM thinking sueing for 100k should take care of the problems.
Let me guress, the parents drove the little cuties home with a BAC over the legal limit....

ratso
04-08-2007, 01:28 PM
The kids parents need to look at themselves, and screw this bullshit about them being minors... Hell I read where 5th graders were having sex in the classroom...maybe their parents can sue the school since they've done a poor job raising their kids... Any talk about lawsuits over something so trivial really pisses me off!

JetBoatRich
04-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I always like these threads:D

HTRDLNCN
04-08-2007, 07:46 PM
(sorry for continued hijack)
That Nakita, she is my 4 year old Alaskan Malamute.
She is happiest in or around the water.
:)
my gosh i LOVE your avater...http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/eazykiller2006/Image1.jpg
is that your dog?...looks like my beloved lobo...RIP...i know i knowhttp://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/style_emoticons/default/hijack.gif

C-2
04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Let me guress, the parents drove the little cuties home with a BAC over the legal limit....
Yup, and I'll add:
SOBER UP before deciding to go all legal on friends.
What a bunch of drama-filled lightweights. When I first started reading this thread, I thought to myself – The easy answer is wait until Monday, by then everybody is sober and the hangy-poo is gone. Then reflect back on the evening’s events.
Caving in a few hours later just reinforces what everybody else has already pointed out – it was a drunken mess.
(and no offense meant to eliminated1)

Coded-Dude
04-09-2007, 07:11 AM
My parents used to let me have a few beers at the lake.....
They KNEW I wasn't going anywhere, and I had plenty of supervision(family + friends).
Had the guy been trying to get the girls drunk for "other" reasons, I could see the reason for all the hoopla, but since they were adamantly pursing it themselves, I think some community service is in order(for the girls). From the sounds of it, this guy will probably never give a minor another drink

Big Warlock
04-09-2007, 07:34 AM
I grew up outside of the US and have lived 28 years out of this country. I never lived someplace where there was a drinking age, except for the US. I have 6 siblings. My parents controlled what we did and who we were with etc. etc. Drinking wasn't encouraged, but always available. Wine with dinner, beer at the beach, etc. etc.
I went to high school in Europe, again, no age in Italy. Wine with dinner and beer out at night. Came to the US for college and was blown away at what a big deal everyone made about drinking! Cruising and drinking! WOW Where I was from we talked about politics, chased girls and dreamed about lives we hoped we would create.
Sadly this whole thread is what the US society has become over the years. It's not even the drinking for kids. It's the getting alcohol. And it is used to get people to do other things. Disgusting!
I don't drink and boat or drive. Not worth it to me. I love a great bottle of wine and a beer with my friends. On the lake, diet pepsi and a cigar. And if kids come over, not a chance on my boat. If they want something they should get it from their parents. If they are asking a stranger, parents have a problem already!!

Magic34
04-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Some poor taste here.
2, The folks that brought their 14 year old kids to a “Adult Party”. If you cant trust your kids to be out of site at a party that has drinking going on then they should have never been there.
This sounds like it was a planned drinking party with the making of the Jello shots. Kids should not have been there.
I understand that adults want to have a beer or 2 or 3 and I think it would be OK if the kids were in a situation like that, but with a form of shots there, they should have never walked in that door. Parents dont have a clue.
The parents are making a big deal out of the situation, where were they when the kids were asking for the shots? Not watching their kids then? The parents should have been more responsible to start with and either not atteded the party or found a place for their kids to be rather than bringing them into that environment.
The guy that gave them the shots was in the wrong, however he isn't raising the kids, the parents are.

Cole Trickle
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Agreed....
My parents allowed me to have a beer or two around 15-16 while camping or bbqing around the house. They taught me what was right and wrong and it has followed me into my adult life.
Before I was 18 one of my good friends mothers threw him a 18th bday party with strippers. (Too our group it was no big deal and alot of fun..there was no sex but we did have some beers with his parents-If that would have happend today and the group hadn't been so close I could only imagine the trouble)
I celebrated my 18th B-Day in Cabo with my family and had some cocktails.
We rented a limo for my 21st bday and I was probably the most sober one there.
Most of the people on this board had Sex and Alcohol before they were 15 and kids today are growing up much faster.
If you don't teach your own kids what is right/wrong who will? (Locking your kid in a closet until there 21 is not gonna work)
I would chalk it up to a bad decision...and a learning exp.(Glad to hear the charges were dropped but none of the people involved would ever be invited to my home again)

Old Texan
04-09-2007, 08:46 AM
There's a time and place to have the kids around and it isn't at an adult party. One of my many pet peeves today is parents bringing the kids along to bars or allowing them to "play" around in the bar area of a restaurant. Parents that allow this are generally just to cheap to get a baby sitter or if it's older kids like these 14 yr. olds, they haven't raised them with enough responsiblity to be left at home alone.
I'm amazed at the number of parents these days that are being "bossed" by their kids. I'm also amazed at the number of Bar/restaurants that allow children to run wild under the fear of losing business.
As far as private home parties it's completely acceptable to add a "No kids" attachment to the invite. If parents can't understand your point, you probably don't want them or need them around anyway.
($.02 worth of opinion from a cranky old F--K w/ grandkids.:D )

eliminatedsprinter
04-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Great. Now find some new friends.:)

Biglue
04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Sorry but the friends over-reacted something awful. I agree bad choices were made. The actual adults duking it out screams drama queens. Had that been my friend and kids I would have said "kid, get your ass in your room, don't let me catch your ass with alcohol/beer/jello shots again OR ELSE, friend knock it off asshole, kids are too young". Plain and simple. These people acted like the friend was shooting up their kid with heroin for Christ's sake. If people are truly friends with one another, boundaries are clearely defined and understood. Very simple. Just my .02

Nord
04-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Let me get this straight......the guy currently has NO visitation rights to a kid that is his???

wright27
04-09-2007, 10:21 AM
They should press charges against the person who made such weak ass jello shots.:D

RiverDave
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Eliminated1, to answer the original post.. I think I'd get some better friends. I've only hung out with one person in my life (briefly) that I could imagine him pressing charges on someone, or sueing someone for something.. and I don't hang out with him anymore.
To kinda go against the grain here with regards to the kids. Who gives a shit if they had a jello shot? Obviously their parents do, but they are living in a fantasy land. I can't think of one person that I know that didn't have relatively easy access to alcohol by that age, and in most cases alot earlier?
I have no kids, but I can tell you point blank in today's world if my kids were going to drink I'd much rather have them with me, then out partying with friends. Nowdayz if a kid gets caught drinking they try to ruin their whole lives over something that damn near everyone did when they were younger.. Makes no sense to me.
For those that are rolling their eyes.. How many "keggers" did you goto when you were in high school? I know I went to plenty, and hosted my fair share as well.
RD

riverbound
04-09-2007, 10:52 AM
in today's world if my kids were going to drink I'd much rather have them with me, then out partying with friends.
I feel the exact same way. You arent going to stop them. might as well know they are doing it in a SAFE and CONTROLLED environment. At least you know they arent going to get in a car and attempt to drive anywhere.

Larry Nebb
04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
so what fight was better? The one on TV or the one live and in person??

460 jus getn it
04-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I can no longer boat with bubba and his friends. They are a bad infulence on me.:D :D :D :D

Biglue
04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
I can no longer boat with bubba and his friends. They are a bad infulence on me.:D :D :D :D
This the same bubba as in Mr. Bubba your celly? :D

460 jus getn it
04-09-2007, 11:07 AM
This the same bubba as in Mr. Bubba your celly? :DJust some WHITE BOY we boat with
Now ask 396 about bubba and he will have all kinds of nice things to say

Cole Trickle
04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Eliminated1, to answer the original post.. I think I'd get some better friends. I've only hung out with one person in my life (briefly) that I could imagine him pressing charges on someone, or sueing someone for something.. and I don't hang out with him anymore.
To kinda go against the grain here with regards to the kids. Who gives a shit if they had a jello shot? Obviously their parents do, but they are living in a fantasy land. I can't think of one person that I know that didn't have relatively easy access to alcohol by that age, and in most cases alot earlier?
I have no kids, but I can tell you point blank in today's world if my kids were going to drink I'd much rather have them with me, then out partying with friends. Nowdayz if a kid gets caught drinking they try to ruin their whole lives over something that damn near everyone did when they were younger.. Makes no sense to me.
For those that are rolling their eyes.. How many "keggers" did you goto when you were in high school? I know I went to plenty, and hosted my fair share as well.
RD
Drunk;):D
I never did anything illegal when I was 14-18:devil: :jawdrop:

Beer-30
04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Are the kids going to get charged for consuming? I don't know the code or section for other than involving a motor vehicle. I would assume there is a Penal Code (and assuming again that this is CA we are speaking about) that describes the legalities of minors consuming alcohol.
CONCERNING DRIVING:
Alcohol: Persons Under 21
23140. (a) It is unlawful for a person under the age of 21 years who has 0.05 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle.
(b) A person may be found to be in violation of subdivision (a) if the person was, at the time of driving, under the age of 21 years and under the influence of, or affected by, an alcoholic beverage regardless of whether a chemical test was made to determine that person's blood-alcohol concentration and if the trier of fact finds that the person had consumed an alcoholic beverage and was driving a vehicle while having a concentration of 0.05 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood.
Yes, it is still wrong that the adult handed it to them, but they are just as guilty for asking for / and consuming it. They made a bad choice, also.
I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this ? was asked, but; where were the parents? If they are so bent out of shape that THEIR children were consuming alcohol, maybe they need to accompany them to said parties.
Once again, the ADULT should have made a better choice - no doubt. But, I don't think that it lets the children off the hook. They are not 6 and don't know any better. They are 14/15 and know better. Or should, anyway.
I got a jay-walking ticket when I was 14. I CHOSE to walk across the street out of a cross-walk. If an adult had told me to cross there, and I did, I WOULD STILL BE THE ONE WHO CHOSE TO CROSS THERE. Sure, the adult would have not been too cool for telling me to do that, but I still would have known better.
I say call the kids on the carpet, call it mutual-combat, and both sides cancel each other. The adult gets scolded and, after all this, will surely never do anything this stupid again. Similarly, the kids get scolded, are already scared, and will surely make better choices because of it.
What will a law suit solve?

Coded-Dude
04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
What will a law suit solve?
Are you kidding....? Thats the NEW American Lottery!

Beer-30
04-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Are you kidding....? Thats the NEW American Lottery!
:rolleyes: Of course. What was I thinking? :D

Make it a Double
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
RD
Dave- I do have kids and you are 100% right.

ratso
04-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Maybe things are different here in Texas... but a couple of years ago, my son threw a big party, and most of these parties bring out 100 to 200 people out at my place. Most of these start at midnight and run til 7 or 8 am. They will use a "gate keeper" now to check for IDs... I know a ton of people here in law enforcement and also with TABC. I wasn't around this particular night until about 3am... I come up, the police have raided the place and were towing vehicles parked out by the street, there are people cuffed and being searched, and I'm like WTF!!!
Seems they decided to let everybody in to the party that wanted to come, had kegs, liquor, you name it. People were scrambling everywhere to get away and by the time the dust settled, they wrote up 75 MIPs, and towed 16 cars. The minors had to call their parents to pick them up, and I was told that I would be arrested if it happened again... and I'm making another long story very short here. The youngest was 14 that was drinking, out of the 75. I waited for each and every parent of these kids to show up and get them, and practically every parent came up and apologized to me for the inconvenience, no threats, no nothing, no lawsuits. These kids like to have a good time, their parents know it... they just happened to get caught. Personally, I think that having 21 as the drinking age is bullshit.

Old Texan
04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=ratso; Personally, I think that having 21 as the drinking age is bullshit.[/QUOTE]
I remember when they lowered the drinking age to 18 in MI back in the 70's. Big mistake. Kiddie carnival. I think the drinking age should be raised to 35 for males. :D :D
Of course I've been drinking "responsibly" since I was 15.....:devil:

Devil's Advocate
04-09-2007, 07:13 PM
14 is a little young for jello shots. Maybe, they might get a dessert that has some booze in it, maybe.
jello with vodka = dessert with booze in it.:D

496mag
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
To me it seems like both parties were in violation of the law. If charges are filed against the guy for providing the liquor shouldn't the girls be charged with Minor in possession and consumption?

YeLLowBoaT
04-09-2007, 11:01 PM
jello with vodka = dessert with booze in it.:D
jello is not dessert... run cake or icecream with whisky carmel suaces is dessert...
jello shots are for eating out of the cleavage of a big breasted women or getting chicks in the sack... nothing more.

SB
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Some people send their kids off to college at 18 with zero knowledge about booze, sex, and drugs. These parents have not their jobs.
Start giving a kid a glass of wine with dinner at age 14, like in Europe.

Coded-Dude
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm going to start with whiskey in the baby bottle at 14 months.........:D

ratso
04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
at 18 you can buy a house,car,boat and go to war and DIE but can't drink till your 21:( :devil:
I had thought about mentioning that... We have turned away people without proper ID's... they had military ID's... but had to turn them away from the club I was working at because they didn't have an "official" driver's license on them. I think it's bullshit, but it was company policy. You are right, they can fight and/or die for our country, but they can't have a beer... http://***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/yuk.gif

Racey
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
RD
That is 100% correct RD, Huge over-reaction, if the parents are drinkers they should have zero problem with their kids having one Jello Shot at that age, it's alot better to learn about alcohol at a younger rather than an older age.
Of all the people i know and hang out with the most responsible drinkers are the ones that have been around booze since they were kids, the people that had their first drink at 21 are 9 times out of 10 totally out of controll when they drink I have personally beared witness to this dozens after dozens of times.
It may be against the law to drink at that age, but right/wrong, and legal/illegal are two completely different things. Laws aren't always the best guide to morality, and common sense. And if there were adults, friends, and family around that means the kids couldnt get into too much trouble even if they were DRUNK, which aint happening over a jello shot.

Queenbee
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
jello shots are for eating out of the cleavage of a big breasted women or getting chicks in the sack... nothing more.
I need to hang out with more people that have your point of view!!!:devil:
My husband and I have already discussed the underage drinking thing in respect to our kids. As we both did, I'd rather hand my son a beer and chill with him at age 15 or 16 in the desert as opposed to him hanging out somewhere in his car and drinking stolen booze with is friends. There's a time and a place where its appropriate and there's a limit to how much consumption is appropriate.

Coded-Dude
04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
There's a time and a place where its appropriate and there's a limit to how much consumption is appropriate.
When and how much is what separates the USERS from the ABUSERS.