PDA

View Full Version : Took the Omega out today

Bow Tie Omega
04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Finally took out the BTO for the first time this morning at Pleasant. Ran it for about to 20 minutes in the marina just going thru all of the systems and checking for leaks, man she sounded good, she got alot of attention at the ramp, two very tiny leaks, easily fixed with silicone. Once everything checked out, I left the marina to open her up a little more. I took her up to 3000 rpm, man those timing gears sounded great. Ran her there for about 1-2 minutes, the boat planed out nicely. The steering worked well also. Went ahead and took her up to 4000, (still on the primaries only) rpm and my oil temp started climbing slowly from about 140 to 170, the water temp was a little high at about 180. Then it started falling a little, while the oil temp climbed slowly, after about another minute, I took it up to 4500 rpm, and my oil temp was at 195 and climbing slowly, my water temp started fluctuating and dropped to almost zero, within 15 seconds of it fluctuating. I took her to idle and realized that my exhaust was getting hot and I shut her down, making sure to shut off all of my water valves. To make a long story short, the water hose off the jet pump going to the motor blew off. I must not have tightened the clamps enough, as it was completely gone. I got a tow in from a nice couple, my oil temp stayed at 195 for several minutes while the motor was off and then it started to cool. Got her back on the trailer, pulled it up top and once it cooled off, I fired it up for a second, and it sounded great, it did not skip a beat. All in all, it was a good day, this was a day to work out bugs, and I found one, but apparently only one. I will check the spark plugs later and check the oil again, but overall, I was pleased. It sure was nice to get the boat back on the water, Very relaxing. Even when the hose belw off and I was getting towed in, my wife said I had a smile on my face. The best part, my wife asked what that whine was and if it was supposed to do that, I just smiled and said that it was fine. Man I love the sound of gear drives. I will fix the hose this week and take her out again one more time next weekend. If all goes well, she will be off to upholstery.
Happy Easter ( I know mine is)....Joe

BrendellaJet
04-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Dude I am stoked for you. How many years has it been? Its too bad that damn hose is what took you out, of all things...It sounds like you have the water flow set about right. maybe a little fine tuning but it sounds operable the way it is.
Do you have any pics of it on the water?

Bow Tie Omega
04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Dude I am stoked for you. How many years has it been? Its too bad that damn hose is what took you out, of all things...It sounds like you have the water flow set about right. maybe a little fine tuning but it sounds operable the way it is.
Do you have any pics of it on the water?
Dad does, I am going to try to get them uploaded tonight.

cruser
04-08-2007, 12:28 PM
BTO,
Glad to hear it well so well. A loose clamp on the water hose is nothing. I made my first trip on an Az lake (Sagurao (sp?)) yesterday also. Unfortunatly, I could not take the boat yet but it was fun anyway. I am hoping to get it on the lake before the end of April.
Towed 2 boats. first one was a rental pontoon that was being stubborn about starting. Towed him away from shore and got it started for him. Second was a guy who was taking his new to him boat out for the first time. He was just motoring around the dock area waiting for his wife and poked a hole in the side of his oil pan. He didn't get on it hard but that was the end of his trip. Looks like I am collecting Az karma, hope I don't need to cash it in.....

Bow Tie Omega
04-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Cruser. It was hard to be bummed out. I am just glad I was watching my guages like a hawk. Simple piece, yet very vital. It was nice to be a participant again and not a spectator. Months of stress and anxiety just melted away.

BrendellaJet
04-09-2007, 07:13 AM
lets see some pics!

Bow Tie Omega
04-09-2007, 07:48 AM
lets see some pics!
Dad did not bring a digital, he brought a disposable. And I told Barbara not to worry about bringing ours because I assumed it was digital:(