PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs on a jet?

kingbrutis
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Bought a boat yesterday and love it alot. It doesnt have tabs or the jet isnt trimable. Fine for smooth water but needs trim tabs. It's just a 19 foot so I'm not going to put the nice Kekifer tabs on, an one use Bennet tabs? Looks easy to install and would do the trick. Are they quality and helpfull? Thanks Joe

essexjet
04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Bought a boat yesterday and love it alot. It doesnt have tabs or the jet isnt trimable. Fine for smooth water but needs trim tabs. It's just a 17 foot so I'm not going to put the nice Kekifer tabs on, an one use Bennet tabs? Looks easy to install and would do the trick. Are they quality and helpfull? Thanks Joe
I would go the route of a place diverter instead of installing tabs on a jet boat.

BrendellaJet
04-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I would go the route of a place diverter instead of installing tabs on a jet boat.
Ditto!

VegasHallett
04-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Place diveter. didn't have it one my 19 foot hallett but once we put it on(manual one) what a diferance. You can also put on tabs that are spring loaded and the water pressure raises them.

Queenbee
04-08-2007, 01:34 PM
We have a 21' jet that has a place diverter and trim tabs. The motor for the tabs has a short in it and several people have said not to waste the money to rewind it. Do you guys think thats true?

Jbb
04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Diverter will make the biggest difference

Riverat84
04-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Diverter will make the biggest difference
Ditto!

Boa1277
04-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Please explain what will the diverter do to help the ride. I have had a jet for a long time with no diverter, the boat is 21ft and now that it is much rougher than a few years back(much bigger boats on the lakes and rivers) I am looking for anything that will improve my ride...

plaster dave
04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Please explain what will the diverter do to help the ride. I have had a jet for a long time with no diverter, the boat is 21ft and now that it is much rougher than a few years back(much bigger boats on the lakes and rivers) I am looking for anything that will improve my ride...
It changes the ride by adjusting the nozzle position of the jet up or down for bow rise or to lower the bow. It makes a huge differents in your ride.

Jbb
04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Read this (http://www.placediverter.com/index.php?page=testimonials)
browse thru the site....
buy one...have it installed...
enjoy you're boat.....It will ride like a different.....and much better boat

kingbrutis
04-08-2007, 04:41 PM
So isnt this a diverter thing? Sorry, I dont know much about jets. I can buy a set of tabs on ebay for like $350. What does a diverter cost? I know my tabs worked great on my other boats. Thanks. Joe
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/kingbrutis/scarabdrive.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/kingbrutis/scarabdrive2.jpg

Jetaholic
04-08-2007, 05:29 PM
No that's just a standard nozzle.
The diverter nozzle is longer and the aft section of it moves up and down with a lever next to the driver seat.
Some are hydraulicly driven, which requires more parts, plus a trim gauge.
The mechanical diverter is much better IMHO.

plaster dave
04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
http://www.placediverter.com/Images/montage.jpg
No this is a diverter. Here is a link to the prices.http://www.placediverter.com/index.php?page=prices

kingbrutis
04-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok so what do I need? A salesman will try and sell me all kinds of stuff. Jetaholic says manual is a bettwer way to go. Is it easy to install? Thanks Joe

Jetaholic
04-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Ok so what do I need? A salesman will try and sell me all kinds of stuff. Jetaholic says manual is a bettwer way to go. Is it easy to install? Thanks Joe
And the reason I say that is for one on a hydraulic system you have to have a hydraulic pump...these can go bad and so can the associated circuitry. Just more things to go wrong on a hydraulic system...whereas on a mechanical all you have to worry about is a cable.
Second reason, you have to run a trim gauge to know where the diverter is set at. On a manual system you just look down at the control lever and see where it's set to.
You'll have to drill a hole in the transom for the diverter cable to run through to the diverter, which means you have to run a cable seal around that hole to seal out water. The diverter nozzle is a direct replacement for the standard nozzle. The outer nozzle ring for a diverter I believe is a little bigger than for a stock nozzle...but the diverter should come with it. The diverter kit will come with everything you need to install it and make it work.

kingbrutis
04-08-2007, 06:59 PM
On a manual system you just look down at the control lever and see where it's set to.
Not sure what you mean. Do you run another lever, like a throtle? Is there a manual button to push. Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm just new at this. Thanks for the help Joe

wolfie
04-08-2007, 07:05 PM
As Plaster Dave said, look at the website. It should answer a lot of you questions.
Depending on the type you get, there's either a mounted lever (manual) or a switch (hydraulic). That is where the trim adjustment is made.
http://www.placediverter.com

SmokinLowriderSS
04-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Put a Diverter on it, and a ride plate.

scarabrick2
04-08-2007, 08:27 PM
VERY IMPORTANT...........
Get the BIG rudder.......
You know how hard it is to steer now..... but with a big rudder, a manual place diverter,you will enjoy driving a jet a slow speeds and faster speeds.

bilgewiper
04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Wow, did anyone notice in the pictures that it's a Volvo/Pinta jet drive? Been around jets along time including the usual Berk/clones, Panther, Bayjet, Drake, etc, etc, even remember seeing a Mercruiser Jet at a boat show years back (30?) but i have never seen a Volvo/Pinta even though it's bowl looks like a Berk/clone.

kingbrutis
04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I will try an scorce parts and prices tommorow. BTW, with the boat straight in the garage, I have about 6 inches total to play with. Will those parts make it longer? Thanks JoeVERY IMPORTANT...........
Get the BIG rudder.......
You know how hard it is to steer now..... but with a big rudder, a manual place diverter,you will enjoy driving a jet a slow speeds and faster speeds.

Riverat84
04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the help. I will try an scorce parts and prices tommorow. BTW, with the boat straight in the garage, I have about 6 inches total to play with. Will those parts make it longer? Thanks Joe
yes maybe a little longer than that depending on your setup, brand of jet drive/diverter....just play around w/ it and it'll work!
Reid

BADBLOWN572
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I have driven jets for the past 20 years and I have never seen a jet boat NEED trim tabs. However, a place diverter is a MUST HAVE on any jet. It works similar to trim on any I/O boat. I too agree that a manual diverter is the best way to go. I have always found that the hydraulic diverters were too slow where the manual is instant.
I also do not agree that a boat with a hydraulic place diverter needs a gauge to tell where it is. You should be able to feel where the boat is riding. Just burry it when you take off and then start going up until you find the ideal set. If it gets rough, back it down. :)
Place diverters are definitely more expensive than trim tabs, but you can often find them in the spam section as well as on craigslist or e-bay. :)

kingbrutis
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Was told it was just a Berkley with a Volvo name. I was told there were like 10-20 made. I really like the deep V (for a 19 foot boat). You sit really deep in it. Anyway, was also told that there is only one guy that the previous owner found to service it. Sure theres alot more, because like you said it is a copy. I just need a little more controll in the rough water. Joe Wow, did anyone notice in the pictures that it's a Volvo/Pinta jet drive? Been around jets along time including the usual Berk/clones, Panther, Bayjet, Drake, etc, etc, even remember seeing a Mercruiser Jet at a boat show years back (30?) but i have never seen a Volvo/Pinta even though it's bowl looks like a Berk/clone.

XtrmWakeborder
04-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I have a hydraulic diverter with no gauge, and I see where it is by looking back. I couldn't imagine not having it. The only why I can boat in havasu is with the roost going and jumping over the chop. If I didn't have it i'd get beat up pretty bad. The only thing that sucks with hydraulic is it seems to eat batteries.