PDA

View Full Version : EBay Question

Jbb
04-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I bought a used piece of equipment on Ebay,from a seller with a 99.6% feedback.It is a small tiller that was described to be in good running condition.
It got here undamaged .....it is leaking fuel from the primer bulb and will run only at idle.anything above idle and it stalls.Yesterday the starter cord snapped..:D
I emailed the guy describing the problem,and his reply was ...well, did it look like it could have possibly been damaged in shipping......
I replied that it arrived here in good shape physically and in my opinion there was no damage in shipping....
I asked him for a shipping label to send this thing back and I asked for a full refund including the $35 shipping ...as it was not as described......I have not yet heard back from him.....
The question is ...I payed thru paypal on a credit card.....can I go thru the card company and get the charges reversed If he gives me a hard time,or is there something that must be done thru Ebay or Paypal first ?
This is his stated return policy..Item was NOT listed as is.
Item must be returned within: 7 Days
Refund will be given as: Money Back
Return policy details: We only accept an item for return if we made the mistake in the listing and the item is not in working condition as stated. No returns on items sold "As IS" Most of items we sell are used.If we agree to an item being returned, it needs to be returned in the same condition it was in when it was shipped to you, with the exception of damaged merchandise by the shipping agent. Please email us right away if there is a problem with the item and wait to leave your feedback until the auction is COMPLETE

4trax
04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd stop payment.

rrrr
04-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Send Brown with his machine gun and tough guy look. :jawdrop:

Jbb
04-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Send Brown with his machine gun and tough guy look. :jawdrop:
They dont call him....."the intimidator"....for nuthin!...:p

Baja Big Dog
04-08-2007, 01:47 PM
J....Did you get a good price on the tiller, would it be worth your while to take it to the shop to tune the carb, the rope is a n o brain-er, sure you could fix that.
If your still pissed send a message to Pay Pal and they will start a claim for you, then you and the seller have to come to an understanding, or they will get involved.

Jbb
04-08-2007, 01:50 PM
J....Did you get a good price on the tiller, would it be worth your while to take it to the shop to tune the carb, the rope is a n o brain-er, sure you could fix that.
If your still pissed send a message to Pay Pal and they will start a claim for you, then you and the seller have to come to an understanding, or they will get involved.
What made me mad is I had an immediate need for it.....I could fix whats wrong......a carb seal kit,fuel lines and recoil kit is what it needs. If a shop did it It would likely put the price closer to new than I would be comfortable with.

Jbb
04-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I guess the real question is do I have to go that way....or could I just deal with the card company first...
Its not really enough money to spend alot of my time chasing...

Tom Brown
04-08-2007, 01:58 PM
eBay does a reasonable job handling these disputes but the problem is, most guys will screw you around until the time limitations expire.
Request help resolving the problem from eBay before the seller's 7 day policy runs out. There are tons of dick wads out there who won't return your email for weeks and then tell you too much time has passed.
Of course, if you can get him to refund the money and shipping with no outside encouragement, that's the best.
PS - I spoke with the other outboard guys and none of us are comfortable with the idea of you using an outboard. Let us know if there's anything we can do to assist in getting this situation resolved.

Jbb
04-08-2007, 02:04 PM
eBay does a reasonable job handling these disputes but the problem is, most guys will screw you around until the time limitations expire.
Request help resolving the problem from eBay before the seller's 7 day policy runs out. There are tons of dick wads out there who won't return your email for weeks and then tell you too much time has passed.
Of course, if you can get him to refund the money and shipping with no outside encouragement, that's the best.
PS - I spoke with the other outboard guys and none of us are comfortable with the idea of you using an outboard. Let us know if there's anything we can do to assist in getting this situation resolved.
Incorrect assumption on the Tiller ......Tom.....:D
As you know Im no fan of the Outbored....
I was merely interested in a little thatch control.....run that by the O/B crowd...:D
Perhaps you could ....lean on the seller ...for me.....He's closer to you ,than me..:D

Baja Big Dog
04-08-2007, 03:39 PM
J....go to Paypal, they will help you. EBay wont be a help, they are more concerned these days in collecting their fees.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
we do some selling on Ebay and some buying..
You need to go through paypal and let them know he is not returning your calls and want the payment stopped .
also go through ebay and they can and should put a stop on his account until it is resolved .( so he can't sell )
then you can also go to your card company .
do this all before the 7 days is up. it is harder to fix after those 7 days. But if he is a good seller he will waive the 7 days and issue you your money back.
There is a complaint button to ebay about the seller. They will get back to you asap. They do not want issues involving people who rip people off.
We had even got a notice from ebay on something we were bidding on due to his ripping people off and they asked us not to bid with him until the issue was resolved with him.
Good luck and I hope this helps. Sir. LOL!!:)

CARLSON-JET
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
JBB, ship it back ASAP with a signed delivery slip. Then file an item not as described. Give him 3 days after delivery to return your money. If he does not respond escalate it to a claim (20 day limit) from date of filing. If paypal does not find in your favor use the CC company to make the claim. All this needs to be before 30 days. It is a waiting game and you will most likely not recieve your return shipping money back. That is a chance you take on ebay.. I have had over 400 transactions on ebay and have only been screwed 3 times. ( about $100 total) I filed it under the cost of doing buisiness. Good luck.. Any more questions, just ask..

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
JBB, ship it back ASAP with a signed delivery slip. Then file an item not as described. Give him 3 days after delivery to return your money. If he does not respond escalate it to a claim (20 day limit) from date of filing. If paypal does not find in your favor use the CC company to make the claim. All this needs to be before 30 days. It is a waiting game and you will most likely not recieve your return shipping money back. That is a chance you take on ebay.. I have had over 400 transactions on ebay and have only been screwed 3 times. ( about $100 total) I filed it under the cost of doing buisiness. Good luck.. Any more questions, just ask..
very well said..:)

Jbb
04-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info all.......except Brown....:jawdrop:

Xlration Marine
04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Yet another issue that I have went through. First thing, paypal is a screw job. I bought an item, the seller was fraudulant in his discription. As it was I won the dispute. Now the fun part. It was going to cost me more to get back my money than what the item was worth.
First of all you have to file a dispute, which you will loose because it said "as is" and it does run, just not past idle. But if you did win you would have to ship the item back on your tab. Show proof hat it was shipped and hope to hell that the guy has money in his pay pal acount so you can get your money back. Now if the money is there you will get it plus a "PAY PAL" FEE of $25.00 just because. So if no money you loose plus the shipping and then the screw me FEE. So it will cost you more to send it back than it would be to buy a $7.00 primer bulb. Sorry Buba, and thats what happened to me. I was lucky it was only 40 bucks and was able to get rid of it to a person that needed it.

Jbb
04-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Yet another issue that I have went through. First thing, paypal is a screw job. I bought an item, the seller was fraudulant in his discription. As it was I won the dispute. Now the fun part. It was going to cost me more to get back my money than what the item was worth.
First of all you have to file a dispute, which you will loose because it said "as is" and it does run, just not past idle. But if you did win you would have to ship the item back on your tab. Show proof hat it was shipped and hope to hell that the guy has money in his pay pal acount so you can get your money back. Now if the money is there you will get it plus a "PAY PAL" FEE of $25.00 just because. So if no money you loose plus the shipping and then the screw me FEE. So it will cost you more to send it back than it would be to buy a $7.00 primer bulb. Sorry Buba, and thats what happened to me. I was lucky it was only 40 bucks and was able to get rid of it to a person that needed it.
The item was NOT listed "as is"....and it needs more than a primer bulb...:)

sorry dog
04-09-2007, 04:10 AM
Incorrect assumption on the Tiller ......Tom.....:D
As you know Im no fan of the Outbored....
I was merely interested in a little thatch control.....run that by the O/B crowd...:D
Perhaps you could ....lean on the seller ...for me.....He's closer to you ,than me..:D
I'm still thinking you should have sent the Cobra back after the scoop deal.
Anyway...a few more weeks of waiting to build the putt putt course in front won't kill ya, but I gots some hemp rope if ya need it to get'er started.

Jbb
04-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm still thinking you should have sent the Cobra back after the scoop deal.
Anyway...a few more weeks of waiting to build the putt putt course in front won't kill ya, but I gots some hemp rope if ya need it to get'er started.
The scoop deal was a setback......I will give you that one....:D
but ...putt putt.....as you know .....Is a priority...and simply can not wait!

Jbb
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Jbb wins.......for a change...thanks for the ideas....I reported it to paypal......and he has decided to make things right ....:)

HM
04-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Was the item listed "as is"? :D

Jbb
04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Was the item listed "as is"? :D
:D

desertbird
04-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Paypal has buyer resolution and seller protection programs too. File a complaint with Paypal before you withold the cc charges.

talkinghead
04-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Believe it or not, 99.6% is not that good of rating IMO, below 99.5% and I keep looking.
Here's the reason: I think that for every person that leaves a negative, there are probably 5-10 that wanted to leave a negative but didn't in fear of retaliation (in the form of a negative feedback).
That's a flaw in the Ebay feedback system.
For something cheap, I may bend the 99.5% rule.

Tom Brown
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Brian, I'm curious to know what happened with this and also to know if the item was listed 'as is'.

Jbb
04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Brian, I'm curious to know what happened with this and also to know if the item was listed 'as is'.
I filed a complaint with Paypal....The next day the seller said he had not yet gotten to my original email.....he sent me a paid shipping label and gave me a full refund.....
Not listed as is.....but I bet it will be next time...:D

RitcheyRch
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Guess it took a little provoking to get him to respond. Atleast you got your money back.
I filed a complaint with Paypal....The next day the seller said he had not yet gotten to my original email.....he sent me a paid shipping label and gave me a full refund.....
Not listed as is.....but I bet it will be next time...:D

Desert Rat
04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Well I see you got it taken care of Congrats

Desert Rat
04-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Whoops