PDA

View Full Version : New Guy/Question

Tige' 24v
04-09-2007, 08:16 AM
I have been lurking for a couple of months and just wanted to say hi.
We have a trip planned for this weekend out to Laughlin. We have always put the boat in up on Lake Mojave. I would love to run down on the river but I am a little nervous about it. I have a Tige' 24V is it safe to run it down there? Where do you launch from? Any advise would be appreciated

2Driver
04-09-2007, 08:18 AM
How much do you like your boat? :D
Seriously, I ran my Carrera 21 jet there on occasion, and have done AVI to the sandbar in a jet. Now that I have a prop I would not do it. That's just me, but people do it.

Jordy
04-09-2007, 08:19 AM
I have a Tige' 24V is it safe to run it down there?
I wouldn't take a v/direct drive down there unless I didn't like the shape and placement/location of all my underwater running gear. That's just me though. ;)

Ziggy
04-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Can get a little dicey between Laughlin and Avi depending on the current water level(which changes during the day)....safer bet is to launch at the Avi and going south from there is much less stressful.

AirtimeLavey
04-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Launch from Needles (Jack Smith or Needles marina) and you should be fine. There is ramp at the Avi, but from there down to Needles can be tricky. All of this is of course assuming that you want to go south towards Havi. It's about 20-25min. tow to Needles from Laughlin.

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the boards!
I used to ran my 18' jet boat in Laughlin/Bullhead pretty exclusively for many years. Since buying my stern-drive Lavey, I've only launched in Laughin once, and I've run the boat up from Needles to Davis Dam once (probably do it more this season though). You really need to know the river, what different water levels mean to your course, and what time water levels will be changing (they swing by several feet typically). It's something that takes a lot of time to learn. If you come off plane in the wrong spot, or are on the Ca/Nv side when you should be favoring the Az side, it' can bite you w/ spendy results! ;)
Launch in Needles to run south, and you should be fine in almost all conditions. I've had to walk the boat out of Needles Marina in waist-chest deep water, but was still able to boat the river in Needles.
Good Luck!
RTJas :D

Jordy
04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
I've had to walk the boat out of Needles Marina in waste -chest water
That's disgusting. :jawdrop: :eek: :D

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
LOL! (I actually looked at that too....and thought it didn't look right)....
Well Needles sucks, what can I say!!! .....it doesn't have all the pee of Havasu like Parker, but it's got a lot of waste!!! ;) :D

photo chick
04-09-2007, 08:42 AM
You'd think with that current the water wouldn't have waste floating in it :D ;)

Jordy
04-09-2007, 08:43 AM
You'd think with that current the water wouldn't have waste floating in it :D ;)
Apparently it must wash over to the marina, and gets waist deep at times too!!! :jawdrop: :eek: :D

RiverToysJas
04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Apparently it must wash over to the marina, and gets waist deep at times too!!! :jawdrop: :eek: :D
NO, no, no...nothing like that.....it comes from the pit toilets in the campground. ;)

Big Kahunaa
04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Launch from Needles (Jack Smith or Needles marina) and you should be fine. There is ramp at the Avi, but from there down to Needles can be tricky. All of this is of course assuming that you want to go south towards Havi. It's about 20-25min. tow to Needles from Laughlin.
ding ding ding

photo chick
04-09-2007, 08:54 AM
All I know is I hate when going there b/c I get waste in my chest:D That really stinks!!

Nord
04-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I would launch your boat further down river like the needles area. Its save from there to the rest of zoo.

Tige' 24v
04-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks i will just stay up on Mojave I would rather not take the chance of hurting the boat.

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks i will just stay up on Mojave I would rather not take the chance of hurting the boat.
WHAT A PUSSY!!!!!!
New or not you've been lurking for a while, then you know the rules, lets recap:
First; Boobies, not yours, but your wife/GF, neighbors etc, we will need them to decide if we talk to you or not.
Second; We don't give a shit about your boat, we have people on this forum that fix boats, so run it from Laughlin and someone here will fix it.
Third; RD SUX!
Play by the rules or you will be asked to leave!!!:D

Tige' 24v
04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
:) WHAT A PUSSY!!!!!!
New or not you've been lurking for a while, then you know the rules, lets recap:
First; Boobies, not yours, but your wife/GF, neighbors etc, we will need them to decide if we talk to you or not.
Second; We don't give a shit about your boat, we have people on this forum that fix boats, so run it from Laughlin and someone here will fix it.
Third; RD SUX!
1. I will work un some updated pics of the girls this weekend!
2. I would prefer just to send them the cash and not hurt the boat.
3. That certainly has been pointed out repeatedly on here.:)

Baja Big Dog
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
:)
1. I will work un some updated pics of the girls this weekend!
2. I would prefer just to send them the cash and not hurt the boat.
3. That certainly has been pointed out repeatedly on here.:)
OK..you will be on a 7 day probation!!;)

Beer-30
04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Some friends did Laughlin to Topock years ago in a 21' Malibu tourny boat. When the depth-finder screamed at 3', they would shut down and walk it over the low spots. It took them quite a while to go round trip.
I know people do it with outdrives and V-drives all the time. They generally have related that they grew up on that stretch of river and know where the ROCK BARS (and I don't mean drinking establishments that play music) are. Most people run jets up that way.
I run from Havasu to Topock and back every time I am there. I have only hit once and it was my own fault. I cut a corner a little too sharp and the outdrive struck the sand. No damage, other than paint from the skeg. Since then I have been up and back 5 or 6 times with no touching. If I hit anything, and I try not to, I would choose sand over rocks anytime.
Not much chance of hitting anything at Mohave. 140' deep and all. It gets a little shallow in spots up by Hoover Dam. I saw 5 and 6 feet from time to time.

Old school Ultra
04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I have done AVI to the Sandbar with no problem in my 95 Ultra I/O, Needle is a nice place to launch.
If you go to Mohave check out Cottonwood Cove.....

Wake Havasu
04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I have been lurking for a couple of months and just wanted to say hi.
We have a trip planned for this weekend out to Laughlin. We have always put the boat in up on Lake Mojave. I would love to run down on the river but I am a little nervous about it. I have a Tige' 24V is it safe to run it down there? Where do you launch from? Any advise would be appreciated
Don't do it!
I spend more on props then my mortgage!
Direct drives hit everything!
If you run your boat on the Loch Ness you will hit the Monster in under an day!
Check out Tigeowners.com as well.

Beer-30
04-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Don't do it!
I spend more on props then my mortgage!
Direct drives hit everything!
If you run your boat on the Loch Ness you will hit the Monster in under an day!
Check out Tigeowners.com as well.
Hee hee.
Guns don't kill people - People kill people.
Cameras don't take pictures - People take pictures.
Props don't hit everything - People hit everything.
:D

dumbandyoung
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the boards!
Your fine after 2pm. Dont go there before that unless you really know that section of the river or you have an extra prop. The only way your gonna know the river is if you drive on it. ;) There will still be a few shallow spots just keep an eye out for ripples in the water. I do it in a jet. Ive never headed up to Laughlin from willow earlier than noon and and the water is usually up by then. I say 2pm just to be safe. I see a ton of wakeboard boats out early in the am sometimes and think they are crazy or they must really know whats up. Theres some parts of it I know like the back of my hand and some I get weary in,,,but what do I know Im in a jetboat.lol :D :hammer2:
Good luck, see you in on the river!

Coach
04-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Don't!!! We have done it in a jet many of times but I will not do it in my Tige. Here is the deal either drive south to Needles marina or to Park Moabi and launch there. Either way you will have deep water and not need to worry about the prop. If you do stop by site #19 at Park Moabi. We will be there Wed through Sunday. Personally I like the river much better than the lake. No need to worry about thunderstorms (which are a non-issue this time of the year) and no crazy lines like at Katherines.

EAZYKILLER2006
04-09-2007, 07:21 PM
WHAT A PUSSY!!!!!!
Third; RD SUX!
lol to funny he is just kidding..welcome aboard...

Coach
04-09-2007, 08:25 PM
:umm: whats a Tige ??:confused: oh yeah, it's one of those boats with the laundry rack on top, with big monster mickey mouse ear speakers, blaring to the point of distortion, with all that bass pumping on the water, you'll crush the rocks below, so no problem, go for it !!:D
Welcome........
Come on man we like to call those a roll bar around here.:D
Plus you have to spell it right - Tigé :wink:

SandbarScot
04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the boards neighbor. Smart decision not to make that run down from Laughlin.
You need to check out Havasu for a change :D

trawfish
04-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Fairly new to the boards myself... Not trying to hijack or anything, but how far from the sandbar to topock????
I keep seeing pictures of people at the bar in Topock, looks like fun!
Iv'e been to the sandbar with my 26' commander and it was scary seeing the bottom as I went by.:eek:

RiverToysJas
04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Fairly new to the boards myself... Not trying to hijack or anything, but how far from the sandbar to topock????
Iv'e been to the sandbar with my 26' commander and it was scary seeing the bottom as I went by.:eek:
Topock to Sandbar ~ 10-11miles. Topock to Needles Bridge ~10-11miles. ;)

Coach
04-10-2007, 06:26 AM
In a 26 commander about 10-15 minutes North. Devils Elbow is a no wake zone now so it slows the trip down some but gives you some time to get a drink and take a piss. Remmeber as you are coming from the sandbar to topock stay to your right as you leave the sanbar and then work back to the middle and as you aproach devils elbow get to your left. The rest of the trip you are good down the middle.
I screwed up going to the sandbar last week for the first time in my V-drive and my depth meter had me at 2.5 feet. I never payed attention before because I had a jet but now I am starting to look head at the water to see and sandbar that are builiding up.

Debbolas
04-10-2007, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't launch at AVI, I would go down to that Jack Smith place. You will be fine from there to the Parker Dam :D
Lake Mojave is big, you can hang out by the dam (sandy beaches) or take a drive through the basin up to Cottonwood if the weather is nice (not windy)
:D
Welcome and I want to see pictures of your boat ;)

RiverToysJas
04-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Just be careful, I heard they let anyone launch at Katherine's! ;)

Tige' 24v
04-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Don't!!! We have done it in a jet many of times but I will not do it in my Tige. Here is the deal either drive south to Needles marina or to Park Moabi and launch there. Either way you will have deep water and not need to worry about the prop. If you do stop by site #19 at Park Moabi. We will be there Wed through Sunday. Personally I like the river much better than the lake. No need to worry about thunderstorms (which are a non-issue this time of the year) and no crazy lines like at Katherines.
So if we launch down at Moabi and stay down river we would be good? We already have a hotel in Laughlin but are there places to stay down there? We normally go to Parker but are trying to change it up a little.

2Driver
04-10-2007, 08:04 AM
So if we launch down at Moabi and stay down river we would be good? We already have a hotel in Laughlin but are there places to stay down there? We normally go to Parker but are trying to change it up a little.
The AVI casio is pretty nice and a lot closer to the Needles area ramps. Avi is away from all the BS of Laughlin (if you want that, we do) has a great "Kids camp", beach, theator, big pool etc..
http://70.86.69.202/avi/

Tige' 24v
04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
The AVI casio is pretty nice and a lot closer to the Needles area ramps. Avi is away from all the BS of Laughlin (if you want that, we do) has a great "Kids camp", beach, theator, big pool etc..
http://70.86.69.202/avi/
Thanks!

wright27
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I launch from Moabi when I go to Laughlin. It is a drive, but the water from Moabi to Havi is alot deeper and not so many rockbars. I take my jet out at the Avi and I have hit bottom.

Coach
04-10-2007, 11:01 AM
The only places to stay near needles are the motel 6 and days inn. Both are cheap and clean. Not much to do at night in needles. Avi or laughlin have more to do at night just about a 45 min drive from Moabi to Laughlin. Needles motels to Moabi are about 10 mins. It is very easy to day camp out of Moabi they have a ton of beaches north of moabi and the moabi channel has a lot of room as well.