PDA

View Full Version : Motorhomes

LGCDEVIL
04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm looking to buy a used Class A. There's a couple that I have my eye on (2000 -2003). What's the best way to determine fair market value on a used RV? I've checked out values on NADA and the values seem to be about 20-30% lower than the average asking price.

bohica
04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm looking to buy a used Class A. There's a couple that I have my eye on (2000 -2003). What's the best way to determine fair market value on a used RV? I've checked out values on NADA and the values seem to be about 20-30% lower than the average asking price.
Are you looking at private party or thru a dealer? I know with new prices, the price you can get them for is usually 25-30% off of sticker price. If your looking at a used vehicle thru a dealer, they just might have the same mark up.

LGCDEVIL
04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
No, private party so far.

Hustler
04-09-2007, 10:20 AM
What about checking the rvtrader agianst comparable models? Also maybe check with some that have sold to see what they really got for them compaired to the asking price.

H2oracer
04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I would keep an eye on craigs list.org. Dealers will generally have them marked high. Used NADA when looking for mine and it was helpful in determining a base line value for comparison. What I found was a 2000 36ft holiday rambler diesel pusher with only 26,000 mi on it. The seller was asking 50k, NADA said it was worth 60k and I got it for 45k. You won't find prices like this at a dealer but if you keep your eye out you may find one from a private party. Good luck with your search.

OGShocker
04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
What about checking the rvtrader agianst comparable models? Also maybe check with some that have sold to see what they really got for them compaired to the asking price.
Ditto, but with better spelling..:D

catman-do
04-09-2007, 11:56 AM
My dad has his Gulfstream for sale. Its a diesel (cummins), 32ft, 1999 or 2000, great condition. Only down side is there arent any slides. I believe its about 18k on the odometer. I believe he is asking a little under 50k for it. PM me if you want his contact info.

scarabrick2
04-09-2007, 12:21 PM
What are you looking for?
My sister has a diesel pusher, slide out, loaded (I think all are) low miles P/M if you want the info plus I'll get some info and try and post it tuesday.
BTW.. Bus is located in Washington state. No problem bringing it down for a sale...
Rick

LGCDEVIL
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Looking for a 30'er. Still want to be able to tow the boat without some fancy license. Slides would be nice, but not mandatory. Was looking to spend $25-35K for something with under 20K miles.

catman-do
04-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Looking for a 30'er. Still want to be able to tow the boat without some fancy license. Slides would be nice, but not mandatory. Was looking to spend $25-35K for something with under 20K miles.
You wont get a diesel pusher that cheap. If your looking to pull a boat, make sure the gas coach can handle the towing. Most cant, and if they are able to its so close to being over the limit that they have a good chance of overheating in the summer sun.

LGCDEVIL
04-10-2007, 07:49 AM
You wont get a diesel pusher that cheap. If your looking to pull a boat, make sure the gas coach can handle the towing. Most cant, and if they are able to its so close to being over the limit that they have a good chance of overheating in the summer sun.
Good point. I'll check it out for sure.

jackpunx
04-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Also.. when you find something.. you can call a dealer.. tell them that you have said RV and want to trade it in.. see what they will give you for it.. and take about 20% off that.. ...
Good luck..
BTW.. getting a pusher at that price will be risky.. good luck and do your homework.
RV.net is a good place to start

2Driver
04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
We bought AND sold our first RV this year. I go through a lot of boats and cars but this was a lesson in pricing, it's whacko. I think you need to be buying at mid book and below or something is wrong with the book or the asking price.
We got our 2006 Winnebago used with 7K miles on it. It was just purchased for 80K new. We paid $38K and resold it for $46K after deciding we needed something bigger. Both prices were way under NADA retail. There are more RV's for sale over here than you can believe. Many of them just get posted on the reader boards outside the RV storage compounds
in Sun city and the like.
Take your time and research it

LGCDEVIL
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Also.. when you find something.. you can call a dealer.. tell them that you have said RV and want to trade it in.. see what they will give you for it.. and take about 20% off that.. ...
Good luck..
BTW.. getting a pusher at that price will be risky.. good luck and do your homework.
RV.net is a good place to start
20% LESS than trade in value on the street? Trade in value seems to be about half of what you could get on the street. Wow, that's cheap.

GunninGopher
04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
If you are looking between 2000 and 2001 Workhorse chassis' (all late model GM's are workhorses, I think) go with the 2001. It should have the 8.1 and Allison (I think). It also has the wide-trac front end, which puts the front wheels at the fenders instead of recessed, which had been normal until then. We bought ours a year and a half ago. A 2001 came up for sale a week later and I think we could have had it for less $, too.
The 8.1's are supposed to get pretty good mileage. I also recommend Winnebago. We have a Brave (read entry level) and it is still a very high quality coach.
If your looking to pull a boat, make sure the gas coach can handle the towing. Most cant, and if they are able to its so close to being over the limit that they have a good chance of overheating in the summer sun.
It is true that most motorhomes tow ratings are lower than heavy duty light trucks, but you overstate the concern, in my opinion. My 2000 Winnebago 29' with a 454 tows my jet boat and buggy just fine. It never overheats. I wouldn't hesitate to tow something much larger, too. My father in-law tows a 26' toyhauler behind his '85 with a 454 and it doesn't overheat either. Neither of us tries to set speed records up big grades however. I usually keep it at 45 while towing and 50 when not towing on Mountain Springs Grade (I-8 Imperial County).