PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive crash

HM
04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I had a hard drive crash on my laptop. Are the low price guys for real? I only need a couple power point and publisher files recovered, everything else was backed up. If it is over $300...it aint worth it, I can recreate for less.
Anyone ever used data recovery for a crashed disk? My hard drive is physically broken...it sounds like a bicycle wheel with playing cards in the spokes.

Riverkid
04-09-2007, 07:20 PM
IT guy...

RaceFace
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, right! I heard tell that Later said you ain't got nuttin that's hard. He oughta know cuz his 250 lb wife told him.
Prolly just yer nasty pics of ol' whats-his-name and the goat.:D
Rio
YEEEEOOOOOUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHHH!!!!:eek:

JetBoatRich
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, right! I heard tell that Later said you ain't got nuttin that's hard. He oughta know cuz his 250 lb wife told him.
Prolly just yer nasty pics of ol' whats-his-name and the goat.:D
Rio
what:rolleyes:

ddevore
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
It really depends on what you mean by it crashed. Is the drive physically damaged (won't power up, making noises, BIOS won't recognize it) or is windows just damaged to a point that it won't boot? If it's the second, it's very easy to salvage data. If it's physical it can get very tricky and expensive depending what is needed to get the data back... sometimes something simple like using Easy Recovery pro with the drive hooked to another system works, many times the drive needs to go to a recovery center (ouch - 1k +). If you have any questions send me a PM, I do this stuff regularly - I don't do the hard core recovery stuff, but I have used some companies for it that cost me a fortune.

HM
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
It really depends on what you mean by it crashed. Is the drive physically damaged (won't power up, making noises, BIOS won't recognize it) or is windows just damaged to a point that it won't boot? If it's the second, it's very easy to salvage data. If it's physical it can get very tricky and expensive depending what is needed to get the data back... sometimes something simple like using Easy Recovery pro with the drive hooked to another system works, many times the drive needs to go to a recovery center (ouch - 1k +). If you have any questions send me a PM, I do this stuff regularly - I don't do the hard core recovery stuff, but I have used some companies for it that cost me a fortune.
My hard drive is physically broken...it sounds like a bicycle wheel with playing cards in the spokes.
software is not an option. I got the laptop to boot with a cd, but could not access nor recognize the hard drive.

ddevore
04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
It sounds like it's toast, I've tried many times on our Dells at work when they make that clunking sound and there usually crapped out. There are data recovery companies for that stuff, but I'm guessing 1k or more - wish I could help out better.

HM
04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
It sounds like it's toast, I've tried many times on our Dells at work when they make that clunking sound and there usually crapped out. There are data recovery companies for that stuff, but I'm guessing 1k or more - wish I could help out better.
I did a google search on it and came up with a ton of data recovery guys. some are really low priced - just looking to see if anyone use the low priced guys with positive results. The data is not worth much...just time and effort into some marketing stuff.

BajaMike
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I did a google search on it and came up with a ton of data recovery guys. some are really low priced - just looking to see if anyone use the low priced guys with positive results. The data is not worth much...just time and effort into some marketing stuff.
It's probably going to be very expensive if the drive really crashed like you say....or maybe there is no way to get the data. I estimate $2000 minimum cost....the low price guys will bump you up once the have the hard drive in hand.
:idea:

brad22
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
You are pretty much fuc&ked, same thing happened to my Dell 600m laptop and the cheapest INITIAL fee was like $600 just to bring it to them. It would have been over a G to get all my files off. Sucks. Its like losing a piece of your life. :D

koyota93
04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I work at laptop repair center. Its $60 diags to see how much it will really cost. If you go through with it, your $60 gets credited towards the recovery. Its $250 if we are able to do it in house, and up to $1500 if we send it down the street to Data Mechanics in Irvine. Unfortunately I am not authorized to give any deals. If your hard drive is spinning and not too badly damaged, you can also get an external HDD enclosure and access it on another computer using a USB cable. These are cheap ($30) http://www.addlogix.com/xmem/
Hope that helps.

Racey
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Backup Backup Backup, CD-R's make it sooo easy nowadays, DVD-R make it even easier.....

Coded-Dude
04-10-2007, 08:05 AM
www.drivesavers.com I think you may have to call them to get a quote.