PDA

View Full Version : oil problem w/ 454??? please help!!!!!!!

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-16-2003, 08:08 AM
I have a 454 in my WIFES biesemeyer. It would build 70 lbs when it started in within a minute or so it would drop to 20 lbs. I tried multiple filters and then broke down and re-built the motor. I did find 2 spun rod bearings. I cleaned the oil journals replaced the rods and all the bearings. set the bearing clearance at .003 mains and .0026 on the rods. also replace the oil pump w/ a high vol. pump. now I get 55 lbs at start and it drops to 40 lbs. I also cut the oil filter and found some more bearing material in it. I have now pulled the engine apart again and the bearings all look good. what could be doing this to me? could there be more bearing crap stuck in a journal that would cause this much loss in oil presure and still not kill the new bearings? this is not my first engine build but the first time I have ever seen a problem like this.

GofastRacer
04-16-2003, 08:18 AM
If you found bearing material in the filter and there's nothing wrong with the new bearings then I would think you didn't get all the junk out?, did you tear down the complete motor and wash it down??. Did you take the new pump apart and check clearances and the relief valve?, is it a Mellings pump?, although they are a very good pump, they are still a production piece, that could explain the difference in pressure?....

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-16-2003, 08:27 AM
GofastRacer:
If you found bearing material in the filter and there's nothing wrong with the new bearings then I would think you didn't get all the junk out?, did you tear down the complete motor and wash it down??. Did you take the new pump apart and check clearances and the relief valve?, is it a Mellings pump?, although they are a very good pump, they are still a production piece, that could explain the difference in pressure?.... I flush the oil journals and wash the block. yes it is a mellings pump, I have tried both the old pump and the new one. after the re-build the old pump was only getting 50lbs vs. 70lbs before the new build. the new pump is giving me a little more and only drops 15lbs vs. the old pump dropping 25 lbs

GofastRacer
04-16-2003, 08:49 AM
The oil pressure drop before was probably due to the spun bearings?, 50 vs. 70 lbs, sounds like maybe the clearance between the gears and the cover is exccessive, very common on a Melling pump, the relief valve spring may not have the same tension as the old pump also?. Is your new bearings have the same clearance as before?. BTW, what kind of oil filter are you using?..

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-16-2003, 09:09 AM
GofastRacer:
The oil pressure drop before was probably due to the spun bearings?, 50 vs. 70 lbs, sounds like maybe the clearance between the gears and the cover is exccessive, very common on a Melling pump, the relief valve spring may not have the same tension as the old pump also?. Is your new bearings have the same clearance as before?. BTW, what kind of oil filter are you using?.. the 70 to 50 dif. was w/ the same pump. the new pump gave me 5 more lbs. the bearing clearance is tighter than the old bearings. I have used the fram hp and another performance filter as well (can't remember the other filter). If you build a motor, use the same pump and loose 20 lbs of oil pres. what would that tell you? The only thing I can think of is somthing is blocking a oil journal. I just cant think of a place that can build up that much crap to plug it up. or is it something else??????

GofastRacer
04-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Well, if it was me I wouldn't beat my head over it, I would tear it down and start over, something got overlooked somewhere and it's not worth taking a chance on it!..Just my .02 for whatever it's worth!.. :rolleyes:

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-16-2003, 09:28 AM
GOFAST thanks for the thoughts. I think I will send the block to the machine shop for a bath and see if they can find anything. So far everyone I talked to has never seen or heard of a problem like this. My wife thinks it's a gremlin or somethin and we should through the motor away and start over. :D :D :D

mickeyfinn
04-16-2003, 10:20 AM
That sounds like the best idea.....Can you throw it all the way to Atlanta?

DansBlown73Nordic
04-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a good Hot Tank may fix the problem...Is it possible one of the plugs at the cam has come loose or is leaking? They look like a little freeze plug....

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-16-2003, 03:03 PM
mickeyfinn:
That sounds like the best idea.....Can you throw it all the way to Atlanta? Give me a minute..............................
nope, It landed on the engine stand again. :D :D
I guess I will try the hot tank next. I feel like I am having unprotected sex. PULL, PRAY AND PUT IT BACK IN!!!!!!!!! :)

BK
04-16-2003, 07:20 PM
I feel like I am having unprotected sex. PULL, PRAY AND PUT IT BACK IN!!!!!!!!! :) [/QB][/QUOTE]
LMAO, now thats funny! :D :D

Lookin for Liquid
04-17-2003, 04:42 AM
Before you pull it out you might want to remove the pressure relief above the oil filter (2 bolts) and ck to see if it is stuck with debri in it.

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-17-2003, 05:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lookin for Liquid:
Before you pull it out you might want to remove the pressure relief above the oil filter (2 bolts) and ck to see if it is stuck with debri in it. [/QUOTE
that relief valve was replaced by the oil cooler. Now that you say that, there is no relief vale any more. that could cause it if the filter was dirty from bearing juice. when I put in a new filter it gave me a little more pressure and would fall off after that.

Thunderbutt
04-17-2003, 05:00 PM
After it sets for awhile does it go back to 70#? What journal hole do you pick up the oil?
Take the line off going to the gauge and blow it out.

SERIOUS ISSUES
04-17-2003, 08:36 PM
thanks for all the help. it's a bare block now and I have a idea of the problem. here is what I came up w/. the bearings are at .003 - 004. a little loose but not a big deal by it's self. problem 2. there is no by pass valve for the filter (it was removed for the oil cooler and the oil cooler has none). problem 3. I have alot of bearing juice in the bottom of the pan (I must have missed some on the first cleaning). So, the oil filter was getting clogged up from a old bearing, the oil could not pass through a bypass =low oil presure. :rolleyes:
Anyone have another explanation?????? If not I am going w/ this and putting it back together cleaner and tighter.