PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicle Question........................

Rod-64
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
So on a $60,000 vehicle, how much is a realistic figure to offer them? I thought I saw a thread somewhere where someone could get 10K off sticker.
Edmunds says fair market is 55K, But who the heck do you believe these days.
Seems like whenever you buy something new the thing goes on sale 3 months later like last time....bought a vehicle then that employee pricing rage came out.:mad:
So what should a realistic offer be where we don't tell each other to pound sand???

YeLLowBoaT
04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
depends on the car...Like with every thing else... the only thing they can do is say no.

Throttle
04-09-2007, 11:38 PM
take it for a test drive...
drive it like a rental car...
tell them you want it...
have them pull the blue book on it and see what its worth to them "wholesale" thats what you will give em... then leave.

Chipster27
04-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Go to one of the online services, I think I have used Consumer Reports, but there are others. You will pay for this service but it will give you dealer cost on the vehicle and options as well as any hold back/incentives the dealer receives. The margin on vehciles is all over the board. When I bought my F250 there was something like $8k margin. I ended up with X-plan pricing so it didn't really matter.
Also depends on how popular the car is. If the deal knows they have a car that will bring sticker, or close to it, they will not deal. They don't need to because they know they can get more money from the next guy so what is their motivation to sell it to you?
Try to find raw dealer cost and work up from there, rather than working down from the sticker.
Good luck!

wright27
04-10-2007, 06:45 AM
I go to www.kbb.com and pull up the vehicle that I am looking to purchase. You can add options and it tells you what invoice is on the vehicle. I print it out and take it with me and offer $300 over invoice for the vehicle. Some dealerships will tell you that kbb is not accurate and they can't do it. Which is when I will leave and never go to that dealership again because all they want to do is screw you. I will then go to another and I have always got my deal. I have bought 8 vehicles this way and never paid over $300 over invoice.

Dan Lorenze
04-10-2007, 07:06 AM
What car are you looking for?

Caljamr
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
My dad bought a new corvette this weekend and he was trading in his 2004 Commemortive edition vette with under 20k miles in awesome condition. They came back and said we gave you a great price for your trade in so lets finish the paper work. He said hold on what are you going to give me. They tried to just keep on going with the paper work and not answer him. They were going to give him $33k. He laughed and said low KBB is higher than that. They said KBB isn't accurate. So he said OK well how about the 2004 Z06 on your lot for $39k? In the end they gave him $37k.
I guess what i'm getting at is work all the angles to get the best price. Theres always room to deal.

TaylorJet
04-10-2007, 07:48 AM
depends on a lot of things. but you can go to edmunds.com and get invoice pricing from there. but remember they do need to make a little bit of money. and also remember there are some respectful honest working salespeople out there so keep that in mind.

bocco
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Start with the invoice price from Edmunds. You should be able to get most cars for $100 to $500 over the invoice price unless it's a hot model like a Mustang GT500 for example. Once you know exactly what you want then call some dealers and ask for the fleet manager.
Also don't let the trade in cloud the deal. Settle on the price for the car your buying. Then decide to trade the car in or sell it yourself. They can't give you full price for a trade in because they have to detail and inspect the car and there's flooring charges just to have the car sit on the lot. Trading in means giving up 20% to save hassles.

bocco
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Start with the invoice price from Edmunds. You should be able to get most cars for $100 to $500 over the invoice price unless it's a hot model like a Mustang GT500 for example. Once you know exactly what you want then call some dealers and ask for the fleet manager.
Also don't let the trade in cloud the deal. Settle on the price for the car your buying. Then decide to trade the car in or sell it yourself. They can't give you full price for a trade in because they have to detail and inspect the car and there's flooring charges just to have the car sit on the lot. Trading in means giving up 20% to save hassles.

Rod-64
04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
What car are you looking for?
2007 Escalade EXT Fully loaded.
Lots of good info here.....Thanks!!!:)

dumbandyoung
04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
If your buying a Ford. Ask for the D Plan Price. ;) You have to have a friend/family member that works for the company to get it. But ask them what it is then offer a few grand more....Fyi D-plan took about 10k off the top of my truck. Ford of Upland is almost giving away lift packages on their trucks. ;) Good luck!

andy01
04-10-2007, 01:31 PM
It all depends on the market and how much supply the dealer has. If they are sitting on a 90 day supply then you can get a smoking deal, or a vehicle that isn't easy to get then you may pay closer to sticker. It really isn't based on just the price. I just did a deal on a Jeep for a customer (I broker/setup new car deals for people) the Jeep was $39,871 when I got done shopping and setting the deal up it was $30,460. So depending on what the factory has to offer and what type of deal the dealer is willing to let go is your deal. Just for refference I set up deals at a cost of $150 to the customer with a gaurantee they can't beat the deal or it is no charge. Getting invoice or a amount over invoice isn't always your best deal. I just beat a costco "set up" deal by more then $800. It was well worth the $150 the couple paid me. Costco had a set amount around invoice. So make sure if you do some online homework to take it for what is worth. Good luck shopping, you should be able to get a pretty good deal on that.
Andy

TaylorJet
04-11-2007, 06:31 AM
The car guys have a square they use to keep you busy, price, trade in, financing, rebates. Don't give them trade in or financing and all they can talk is price...they hate that:D
Invoice already guarantees a profit for the dealership of a few grand.
invoice does still make some money but it is only 3% and most salespeople are not paid on that. they deserve something on each deal after working 65 hours/week.