PDA

View Full Version : Bildge Drain Plug leak

Taylorman
04-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Im about to pull my hair out over my drain plugs leaking. I drilled a second drain plug on the left side of my pump a couple of years ago so i could use to drain oil. Well it leaks water and i cant make it stop. I drilled it as low as i could with a hold saw. I think because the bottom of the hole is flush with the bottom of the bildge, the plug can mushroom on the bottom which allows it to leak. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it stop leaking. I though about getting on of those black plastic plugs that attach from the outside at West Marine. This is pissing me off. I tightened the plug as tight as i could and it still drips.

LGCDEVIL
04-10-2007, 05:33 AM
They make a brass sleeve for the drain plug holes. Epoxy one in. Gives the plug a smooth surface to seal to.

IMPATIENT 1
04-10-2007, 07:29 AM
They make a brass sleeve for the drain plug holes. Epoxy one in. Gives the plug a smooth surface to seal to.
good idea! or you can use a piece of pvc pipe, glass it in and use a smaller plug.

jetboat
04-10-2007, 07:56 AM
tom,glass a smaller piece of tubing, then sand a little at a time so the plug is tight.did it on the taylor.have a good weekend?

Bow Tie Omega
04-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Use what you have, and a little silicone will seal it up as well

Xlration Marine
04-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Did you use a square hole saw?? And using a round plug?

Taylorman
04-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Did you use a square hole saw?? And using a round plug?
Wow thats funny. Thanks for the intelligent answer.

jetboat
04-11-2007, 04:05 AM
some on this suite think there very cool and funny,however there just nerds without any reason.the remaining ones can relate to common sence questions.

Wicked Performance Boats
04-11-2007, 05:40 AM
The problen with using a holesaw is that they don't make a very round clean hole. Using an auger drill bit will make a better hole. Unfortunately you already drilled the hole. So i would epoxy the brass sleeve in and be done with it. Pat

OKIE-JET
04-11-2007, 06:18 AM
The problen with using a holesaw is that they don't make a very round clean hole. Using an auger drill bit will make a better hole. Unfortunately you already drilled the hole. So i would epoxy the brass sleeve in and be done with it. Pat
Yep!:)

Taylorman
04-11-2007, 06:48 AM
I drilled it slow so the holes look nice and round. Im gonna pick up one of these and try it.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/283756.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
04-11-2007, 07:25 AM
In all honesty, If you epoxied the drain plug and it still leaks, take a little clear household silicone, put it on your finger and smear it over the leaky area, while the boat is out of the water. Then take a rag, wipe off the excess. THe silicone should only remain where it is leaking. It will dry in 1-2 hours. I had the exact same problem you did with two drain plugs, it worked great. And looking at it, you would never know I used it. And, silicone is water proof.

Xlration Marine
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Have you tryed to put the plug in (on the trailer) lift the bow up. Put some water in the bilge to see where exactly the water is coming out. It might not be the drain plug. I use a threaded brass fitting and use a rubber plug and not the brass one that comes with it.

Aluminum Squirt
04-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Can't find a picture but have you tried one of those duck bill drains? They insert into the hole and act as a one way valve. Every time you accelerate, any water in the hull flows to the back and out the duck bill, but water can't flow in. They look a little funny and mine leaks a little bit but every time I get after it, the water goes out. FYI, if you get one, be advised that your dog may like to use it as a chew toy. Every time I'd forget to take it off, I'd donate one to the chew toy pile-Aluminum Squirt

DMOORE
04-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Just use a bit of teflon tape on the plug. Usually solves the problem. Oh yea, and it costs about .05 cents.
Darrell.

GUGS102
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Can't find a picture but have you tried one of those duck bill drains? They insert into the hole and act as a one way valve. Every time you accelerate, any water in the hull flows to the back and out the duck bill, but water can't flow in. They look a little funny and mine leaks a little bit but every time I get after it, the water goes out. FYI, if you get one, be advised that your dog may like to use it as a chew toy. Every time I'd forget to take it off, I'd donate one to the chew toy pile-Aluminum Squirt
I thought they quit making those. Where can I get one or several?
There is always a little water that wont drain with the pumps or the plug pulled after on the trailer.
Gugs

Aluminum Squirt
04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1480
Try these-Aluminum Squirt