PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel removal

ck7684
04-10-2007, 06:34 AM
How do I pull the steering wheel off?? I've replaced auto wheels before, but my boat seems different...

Bow Tie Omega
04-10-2007, 06:40 AM
The steering wheel or its hub??? The steering wheel should be just a few bolts. The hub goes on a tapered shaft and has a key stock and jam nut holding it in place. Sometimes it is tough to get the hub off of the tapered shaft. That is how mine is anyways. Do you have any pics of yours to see if it is similar. If it is not similar, I am sure that someone on here will recognize your particular setup. Good luck

ck7684
04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Just the wheel. I removed the 3 bolts and thought the wheel would come right off, but the plate that holds the center cap seems to be held on by the large nut on the center shaft, and that is preventing the wheel from coming off. I just wanted to restore the wood on the wheel, so I dont need to pull the hub etc...

twowheeledfish
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM
You'll need to remove the center nut and give the wheel a good whack with a rubber mallet to break it loose. It should then slide right off.

ck7684
04-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the help. What I missed was getting in back and holding the gear while I removed the nut...after that everything came off nicely!!