PDA

View Full Version : California Pool and Spa - Experience?

*BN*
04-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a very large dollar pool job.
Anybody have any experience good or bad regarding this company?

Third Alarm
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Do it yourself and save a ton of money. I just got done doing the owner builder route and it was very easy and uneventful. It took aprox. 3 months and I saved about 35-40K.
I have a friend who works for a very large pool builder here in So Cal and he said that there mark up to build a pool is aprox 43% and they just make phone calls. They don't even own a shovel.
If you are interested I can give you all of the names I used in Mission Viejo.
Jeff :D

checkr'd past
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Worst experience i my life. At least the office in orange.They had no clues to the codes of anaheim hills.One screww up after another.

photo chick
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I have not used them personally but having lived in So. Cal my entire life until 3 years ago I have only heard bad things about them.... Just what I've heard....

driverno8
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I've never heard anything good about them either. We ended up going with a local guy in Victorville. That said....
I'd NEVER own a pool again. Absolute waste of money.

HefeRaton
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
I think just about every company has its flaws. I had California Pools do mine and I'm very happy. They took longer than expected, but I just deducted a % on the final payment and they didn't even blink about it. You can't beat their warranty and they have been quick to take care of any problems I've had.

Dan Lorenze
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I have a California Pool and Spa, no complaints here...

rojo4
04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
After bidding out with a few companies i had California Pool and Spa build our pool. They mapped out a build timeline and I couldn't be happier. We used the office out of South OC. Follow up customer service and support has been great. Good luck.

*BN*
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the reponses. 3-1 to the good not bad i guess.

SAFA 1
04-10-2007, 06:25 PM
if you go strait to the source you will save allot of money, that's what i did, pool companies uses subs and they add there percentage, if you need help send me P.M.

SandbarScot
04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I have had 2 pools built in the past 5 years. I shoulda done it myself the sencond time. Its not that complicated, just takes time. If you pay someone to design it and write the plans to submit to the city, you can just use the same subs everyone else does.
The only thing is, you gotta be around when the subs show up to make sure they are doing what you want. Thats what you pay the builder big bucks to do while your not home.

ROZ
04-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Its not that complicated, just takes time. If you pay someone to design it and write the plans to submit to the city, you can just use the same subs everyone else does.
Designer and a plot plan... Most builders use an outfit out of Irvine for the blueprint plan. They have about 12k plans on file. They ask you a few question and maybe ask you to fax them a copy of the plot and design. Pay them 175.00, and they'll send them next day :)
The only thing is, you gotta be around when the subs show up to make sure they are doing what you want.
Thats what you pay the builder big bucks to do while your not home.
The home owner should always try to be home for the dig and steel... Dig in order to make sure the pool is a large as you like, and for the steel so you can make fine tune adjustments on location of wall seats, steps, baja shelves, etc...
The builder is not always there when the subs are starting work....
Also be there when the tile goes in.. I've seen the wrong tile go in pools..more than once...

PHX ATC
04-11-2007, 06:20 AM
My neighbor (obviously here in AZ) has used them twice and likes their products. A bit overpriced IMHO, but their pool(s) are nice.
I would do it yourself if you have the time and fortitude as you'll learn alot and save a ton of money. You can pick the brains of several people on here that have done it before. Maybe you could even hire someone on here at a cost + 5% or + 10% or something.

Baja Big Dog
04-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Ask them for the last 10 pools they built, then ask if its OK to talk to the owners. If they deny the request then Id look deeper.

Seasday
04-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Been in the Pool Industry 18 years and they are one of two companies I would never use. Every office is different, just a franchise, but in OC there are way too many good builders to settle for California Pools.
And as far as the 43% comment....BS! There is not a building on earth that is pocketing 43% of the gross sale after everything is said and done. That's is just plain wrong.

*BN*
04-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Seasday,
Who would you recommend or are you interested?
Brian
Been in the Pool Industry 18 years and they are one of two companies I would never use. Every office is different, just a franchise, but in OC there are way too many good builders to settle for California Pools.
And as far as the 43% comment....BS! There is not a building on earth that is pocketing 43% of the gross sale after everything is said and done. That's is just plain wrong.

bead
04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
thing to remember is they are all individually owned . they buy the name. so not everyone that does work for cal.pool/spa are the same . i would find the people in your location that had pools built and start there.

Seasday
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Seasday,
Who would you recommend or are you interested?
Brian
but would love to help you out. Send me a pm and I will do everything I can to help you.
Robert

*BN*
04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Robert,
Check your PM's

ROZ
04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Sure ain't 20%
I know of 2 builders who are running between 37-40% ..... It's not uncommon...

Seasday
04-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Added info on builders, call me if I can help. Take care.

bchbum
04-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm using Harbor Pools right now . Five weeks after pulling the permits we're pouring the decks tuesday . Roz is right about being there for the dig & rebar. The only problem was they dropped off our tile to install the next & it was wrong . Called & they went & picked up the right order , they we're lucky no tile was installed .So far I'm happy & the kids want to go swiming .