PDA

View Full Version : aluminum polishing

LAFD
04-10-2007, 01:08 PM
whats the best stuff to use on a pontoon to make it like a mirror finish. only thing ive found so far was never dull. but damn thats gunna take alot of elbow grease. want something that i can use with a buffer so some kind of compound. any help would be appreciated.

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 01:16 PM
whats the best stuff to use on a pontoon to make it like a mirror finish. only thing ive found so far was never dull. but damn thats gunna take alot of elbow grease. want something that i can use with a buffer so some kind of compound. any help would be appreciated.
I have found the following to work great. Easy to use and the shine is awesome. www.wickedproducts.com
Mike

SOCALDETAIL1
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Alot of work usually takes me and a worker all day to get them looking like a mirrior. High speed buffer, a few wool pads not foam, and we use waxing frenzys Shark Tower great polish. Mark

LAFD
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Alot of work usually takes me and a worker all day to get them looking like a mirrior. High speed buffer, a few wool pads not foam, and we use waxing frenzys Shark Tower great polish. Mark
what do you use the steel wool pads for. do they go on the buffer?

SOCALDETAIL1
04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
what do you use the steel wool pads for. do they go on the buffer?
WOOL pads not steel wood pads.

LAFD
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
WOOL pads not steel wood pads.
oops i typed the wrong thing. gotcha now.

gmocnik
04-10-2007, 01:39 PM
the best stuff i have ever tried...this what the shiney alum fuel trucks use...
start with this
http://www.californiacustom.com/aluminum_deoxidizer.html
then this
http://www.californiacustom.com/purple_metal_polish.html

Run_em_Hard
04-10-2007, 01:47 PM
I always like mothers with a nice wheel and a numatic(sp) drill or buffer.

LAFD
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
when its all said and done if i have it clear anodized will it stay like a mirror. cause i heard if i go this route it will not anodize.

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
when its all said and done if i have it clear anodized will it stay like a mirror. cause i heard if i go this route it will not anodize.
I had clear anodized hardware on my last boat. If I am not mistaken it is not going to be mirror like shiny once you do that. Again, I could be wrong, but the hardware on my boat was completely polished out and then clear anodized and it dulled it back up a bit.

LAFD
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I had clear anodized hardware on my last boat. If I am not mistaken it is not going to be mirror like shiny once you do that. Again, I could be wrong, but the hardware on my boat was completely polished out and then clear anodized and it dulled it back up a bit.
i have no idea either that what it said on a couple detailing websites. how bad did it dull it up?

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
i have no idea either that what it said on a couple detailing websites. how bad did it dull it up?
It really just looked like a clean light grey look. Not a mirror shine at all.

LAFD
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
It really just looked like a clean light grey look. Not a mirror shine at all.
cool thanks for the heads up. im just trying to find the best way to keep up the shine because i know it gunna start to fade after a trip or two.

rrrr
04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
:D Just hang out at LAX, by American's hangar, hire a few of the polishers, and your set, ever see a newly polished 767, looks nice !!:D
Infomaniac used to work at American's Tulsa heavy maintenance base.....he prolly knows a few guys that can do that.
But somehow I doubt they would be interested in polishing aluminum on their days off. :D :D

shippingguy
04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
cool thanks for the heads up. im just trying to find the best way to keep up the shine because i know it gunna start to fade after a trip or two.
I understand. The one thing is once you polish it it will be an ongoing job to stay up on it. LOT's OF WORK!!!

Riveratz
04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Just use Sharkhide "Protectant" and it will keep its shiny surface.
http://www.sharkhide.com/sharkhide_metal_protectant.htm

Jbb
04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27468&stc=1&d=1175043391

superdave013
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
has this ever been polished before?
If the answer is no I will continue.

LAFD
04-11-2007, 09:24 AM
has this ever been polished before?
If the answer is no I will continue.
nope not that i know of. just picked up the boat sunday. 97 suntracker 27ft pontoon.

imirsh1
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I have a friend that does all the polishing for 76 fuel trucks and you know how good they look. If you ever watched monster garage with the one where they built the pontoon to go shark diving they took it to his shop to polish out the pontoons.So he could do it for you,not very expensive either.His son is fireman too so he will hook you up in that sense too. Tell him Pat sent you.
Vic Caliva
(323) 887-0656

LAFD
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I have a friend that does all the polishing for 76 fuel trucks and you know how good they look. If you ever watched monster garage with the one where they built the pontoon to go shark diving they took it to his shop to polish out the pontoons.So he could do it for you,not very expensive either.His son is fireman too so he will hook you up in that sense too. Tell him Pat sent you.
Vic Caliva
(323) 887-0656
cool ill give him a call.