PDA

View Full Version : moisture in valve train

76 sanger hydro
08-18-2002, 08:32 PM
i hava some aluminum valve covers and it does get about 100 degrees in the garage at times i ran my valves and seen im getting alot of moisture there in the cover and on my rockers is this normal no water in oil

Kindsvater Flat
08-18-2002, 08:49 PM
Mine is always a milky mess after a weekend. Could be to much water in the headers, engine not getting hot enough, poor venting. I'm going to try draft tubes from the valve covers to the headers this winter and see how it works. Can't get any worse thats for sure.

Rexone
08-19-2002, 02:16 PM
This is very common and if it's just condensation while not good for engine parts, it doesn't mean you have a water in the oil problem. However, if you see milky oil on the dipstick that's cause for concern. You may see condensation on the dipstick above the oil level, but if the oil in the pan is milky at all, you may have a problem ranging from too much water in the headers to a crack somewhere or blown or seeping head gasket. Warm engines around water just tend to condensate, especially overnight when they cool and the air also gets moist. I've seen it many times where it was not an indicator of an engine problem.

Nstigator74
08-21-2002, 04:50 PM
some boats never get the engine oil up to enough temp(200+ degrees)to boil the moisture out.my boat will do the same if i run it a few short times and don't run it very hard.Plus if you research Dan Olson oil coolers with thermostats,the thermostat doesn't open till 210 degrees just for that moisture problem.