PDA

View Full Version : Swim steps

phebus
02-06-2006, 09:37 AM
The swim steps on my boat (I have three, one long one high in the middle of the boat above the drive, and then one on each side sitting lower) are very slippery. They are fiberglass, with a texture molded in, but not rough enough. I have tried cutting out hydroturf/astrodeck type pads, and attaching them, and while the material looked good, and worked well, they looked ghetto, because you can't cut it well enough to look professional, like a die cut pad would be.
Here is my latest idea, and wanted opinions as to how people would think they looked. I am thinking of buying step pads from Dana Marine, and attaching them to my swim steps.
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/partImages/SP-1425-1.jpg
Thoughts, or other suggestions welcomed.
Thanks

Jyruiz
02-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I think that would look good.

ROZ
02-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Superglue thumbtacs upside down.. That'll give ya a little extra grip :D

Desert Rat
02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Why put swim steps on swim steps? Why not just replace them with the Dana steps or have Dana make some custom to fit. I had him make me a custom ski pole and mount it to the engine. They do great work

Mrs.Racer277
02-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Jet Trim in Havi make swim step overs also. :)

a catered life
02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I think that would look good.
ditto nothing like looking ghetto and coming from rancho vista somewhere :p

phebus
02-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Jet Trim in Havi make swim step overs also. :)
What type do they make? Interested in all options.
Thanks

prosthogod
02-06-2006, 10:47 AM
My gas fillers are on the transom, and they routinely overflow if you don't watch it=my point is this , my Dana swimsteps with pad inserts have totally discolered in 2 yrs. I'm assuming from gas even though I wash off immediatly.

Mrs.Racer277
02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
What type do they make? Interested in all options.
Thanks
They are custom made. Our friends have them on their Elim. Cat. I think they are like a vinyl material. Give them a call, they do great work. I have used them in the past.

phebus
02-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Why put swim steps on swim steps? Why not just replace them with the Dana steps or have Dana make some custom to fit. I had him make me a custom ski pole and mount it to the engine. They do great work
Because replacing them with the Dana steps would be way north of $1500.-. Safety is the number one concern, with appearance a close second, but if it's not in the budget, it won't get done.

Desert Rat
02-06-2006, 12:03 PM
BOAT
B Break
O OUT
A Another
T Thousand :D

SB
02-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Well you could try those pads they glue onto surfboards. Also there is a material called re-deck used for sailboards. It is a glue/resin you paint on like rubber cement.

phebus
02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Well you could try those pads they glue onto surfboards. Also there is a material called re-deck used for sailboards. It is a glue/resin you paint on like rubber cement.
That's what I have used, and they work good, but cutting them, and getting a good true edge that looks professional is difficult. I'm going to call Hydroturf and ask them if I bring them a template, could they custom cut me a set.

SOMEBEACH
02-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I wonder how Rhino Liner would work/look. It's not slippery when wet, and you can get it in just about any color. Plus it's soft and doesn't have that sandpaper finish like other spray in's. Might be worth looking into! Just a thought!!

Debbolas
02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Kelly and I fell "in love" with this guy who was next to us at the last OP6C.......he had the comfy-ist swim steps............Lemme go find that pic.............
:D
Here he is.......the steps were like a regular step down, swim step, but covered with foam
:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1566s_Dress_067-med.jpg

Mtg Pro
02-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Rick,
Now that you are retired, you sure have been asking a lot of questions. I would trade the boat in for one with better swim steps.

phebus
02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Rick,
Now that you are retired, you sure have been asking a lot of questions. I would trade the boat in for one with better swim steps.
Good idea. Who needs swim steps, it won't be long until I need a wheel chair ramp.

wanna B V
02-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Try this guy-good stuff. Ive had it on my swim step for a couple of years now. No slip and easy on the girls knees....... http://www.wakejunky.com/

phebus
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I remember in the old days, Tom Morey came out with a spray on texture that was produced to replace surf wax. The stuff worked great for traction, but worked so good, it would just about rip your nipples off when paddling. I wished someone still made it. It was called Slip-Check.