PDA

View Full Version : rookie question

buknhrse
04-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Can someone explain the difference between a flat and a runner bottom? I see ads for boats for sale and they say "true flat, not a runner bottom". I thought there was an obvious difference. I am looking for a v-drive flat bottom, and I was curious what the difference really is.

adjones419
04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
A flatbottom is just that, flat...meaning that the cavitation plates on the back of the boat are flat. A runner bottom has runners that trap a small amount of air...there are 3 cavitation plates on the back of the boat. The two on the outside are raised above the middle plate, creating what some call a "step" which might look something like this -----_____----- (Lame I know, but it makes for a good visual).

buknhrse
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
thats pretty much what I thought, but some stuff i had read led me to believe there was more to it. Any advantages or drawbacks you can think of for either?

adjones419
04-11-2007, 02:38 PM
thats pretty much what I thought, but some stuff i had read led me to believe there was more to it. Any advantages or drawbacks you can think of for either?
The idea behind a runnerbottom is that it will be more stable at higher speeds. I've never driven a true flat, but I know those K boats haul ass in some pretty rough water. Fast drag racing flats are runnerbottoms, such as TAF, BGF, PGF, and the faster bracket flats. Are you looking to buy?

buknhrse
04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
yes, i had a 76 hondo t-deck which now that you have explained the difference, was arunner bottom. I loved that boat but it was a jet not a v-drive. I have driven an early 70's Nordic v-drive with a twin turbo small block, and I fell in love with v-drives. I am looking for one, but i'm not sure what yet

adjones419
04-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a 1976 Hondo XH-511GT T-deck (actually a "GT" deck) runnerbottom v-drive with a little history. Great boat...sets good and runs true, it's been the perfect 9,10,11 second bracket boat for me. I'll have it for sale in the fall. All the advice I can give is be patient, don't buy the first thing that you see. Shop around a bit and you'll find exactly what you want.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
yes, i had a 76 hondo t-deck which now that you have explained the difference, was arunner bottom. I loved that boat but it was a jet not a v-drive. I have driven an early 70's Nordic v-drive with a twin turbo small block, and I fell in love with v-drives. I am looking for one, but i'm not sure what yet
This is a runnerbottom... is this what the bottom of your jet looked like?;)
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Copy%20of%20DSC00396.JPG

creepingcharlie
04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
This is a runnerbottom... is this what the bottom of your jet looked like?;)
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Copy%20of%20DSC00396.JPG
wow never seen a runner like that. What hull is that?:confused: I thought on runner bottoms the center was lower then the outsides?:confused: That looks like a tunnel.

adjones419
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Way to go V-Drive Video, now you have the rookes all confused! :D :)

RiverGames
04-12-2007, 08:27 PM
whatever v-drive video has going on is some serious shiznat. the most common are these two.
this is a runner bottom
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/agames139/3.jpg
this is a true flat
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/agames139/cavitationplatesblue.jpg

buknhrse
04-14-2007, 12:08 PM
wow, thats different, my Hondo looked more like the second pics, with the middle being the lowest. That first one looks like what I thought was more like tunnel. Thanks for the info. I would be very interested in your boat. I'd like to see some pics. Could you e-mail me some?

adjones419
04-15-2007, 08:13 AM
wow, thats different, my Hondo looked more like the second pics, with the middle being the lowest. That first one looks like what I thought was more like tunnel. Thanks for the info. I would be very interested in your boat. I'd like to see some pics. Could you e-mail me some?
I got your PM and will e-mail you tonight or tomorrow (Monday) as soon as I get on my home computer.

adjones419
04-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Sent you an e-mail but I got a mail delivery failure notice to that e-mail address you gave me. :confused: