PDA

View Full Version : New guys ride

UltraJet
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Looking for information, opinion about this boat/hull. What kind of performance should I be expecting. It has a stock 454/390HP with american turbine/dominator jet equipped with rideplate, shoe, and of course the 'ole rooster booster. It throws a hell of a roost but not sure how much speed I should be expecting. I've taken it to 60+ but not sure how much farther I can push it. I'm not really looking for speed I am just curious how far I can take if safely. It is a 2000 Ultra Custom and as far as I can tell it seems to be in the same make as the Southwind T-deck hull which has been passed around "like a cheap hooker" according to some posts I have read in the past.:)

QuickJet
04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Nice boat. Get it to 85 and have some fun. After that take the motor out and stick it into a tunnel.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28514&d=1176352786

Squirtcha?
04-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Nice boat. Get it to 85 and have some fun. After that take the motor out and stick it into a tunnel.
Probably be alright to 90. I had an all time best of 89.9 with my Kachina (same bottom) and it wasn't at all squirrelly. Some say they have a tendency to chine walk after 90, but I haven't gone that fast in one. The only difference would be mine had a setback pump, rideplate and shoe, and some bottom work.

UltraJet
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
You guys are kidding right? You really think I can take this boat to 80+ with a stock engine?? I am right around 4200rpm at approx 60mph. I was thinking maybe 70-75??

mach1alaska
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
You will probably be doing good to get to 70 with a stock engine , I think they were saying what the boat would be safe to with enough horsepower

Squirtcha?
04-12-2007, 02:02 PM
You guys are kidding right? You really think I can take this boat to 80+ with a stock engine?? I am right around 4200rpm at approx 60mph. I was thinking maybe 70-75??
mach1 is correct. We were referring to the maximum safe speed of the hull.
With stock (tired) power mine was running 62 mph.
I've seen others in stock configuration (no setback, shoe, rideplate etc.) Just a diverter and some wedging run as fast as 72 with a nice crisp crate 460 BBF and a set of headers, dual plane manifold, and vac sec Holley 650.
This particular boat had a nice straight bottom on it (unlike mine).

UltraJet
04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys.
Can you guys answer another question for me? I have yet to get a decent answer to this question so I have to ask 'cause I'm not a big engine guy. Is there any particular reason to have the scoop facing forwards/backwards? Is it purely aesthetic or is there a performance issue involved??

MudPumper
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Guys usually face the scoop backwards for 2 reasons. Either they don't have a flame arrestor or they are afraid of getting water in the carb. Bottom line, Backwards scoops are gay. :eek: :)

Nucking futs
04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys.
Can you guys answer another question for me? I have yet to get a decent answer to this question so I have to ask 'cause I'm not a big engine guy. Is there any particular reason to have the scoop facing forwards/backwards? Is it purely aesthetic or is there a performance issue involved??
On a few of my engines I would pick up a hundred or so rpm with it backwards. sometimes the carb will work better drawing in what it needs rather than ramming it full of air.
So I guess that makes me gay, kinda like the name "mudpumper"....:D
whats up Mike?