PDA

View Full Version : ? about a boat im looking to buy ?

Mr. Crusader 83
04-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Im really looking at a 1984 21ft Hallett with a 235 Johnson. It sits on a setback bracket. No hydro jackplate. The current owner says it just pops up and goes. But he also has a 19in pitched 5 blade allum prop on it.
What prop should it have?
Should I sh*t can the set back tube framed bracket and go with a hydro jack plate?
What speed can i expect?
Also on the Hallett ID Plate inside the boat. It says its for Ski Race perposes ONLY? Any ideas on that?

Towndrunk
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Im really looking at a 1984 21ft Hallett with a 235 Johnson. It sits on a setback bracket. No hydro jackplate. The current owner says it just pops up and goes. But he also has a 19in pitched 5 blade allum prop on it.
What prop should it have?
Should I sh*t can the set back tube framed bracket and go with a hydro jack plate?
What speed can i expect?
Also on the Hallett ID Plate inside the boat. It says its for Ski Race perposes ONLY? Any ideas on that?
They put that on there to cover their azz'z in case somebody gets hurt racing it.
Speed, not really any big numbers with the 235. They aren't really a racey motor and have somewhat weak rotating assy's. No big rpm's.
Set back? Try it the way it is before you go messing with it.
Does it have a nose cone on it? Can you post a picture?

Mr. Crusader 83
04-13-2007, 07:03 AM
I have no pics, and it has no nose cone. the engine is not set real high. its just back a good 12in. im not sure about this hallett. looks like it needs more work everytime i see it. motion has a 21 sanger that he will be sending me pics of. its a tunnel with a 2.5 merc i think.

Forkin' Crazy
04-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Speed, not really any big numbers with the 235. They aren't really a racey motor and have somewhat weak rotating assy's. No big rpm's.
Oh so speaks the mis-informed blacked bleeding merc guy.... http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
I have a stock 2.6 GT 235 that has run 96+ on a 20' Allison @ 7,000 rpm. Oh such a weak rotating assembly. My other 235 ran for 7 years at 6500 - 7000 a lot of it's life. Yea, I finally burned a piston, but that was my fault. No rod holes in the block. That is not to say that it cannot happen, but I have seen way more mercs with rods hanging out of the side of the block than OMCs.
Speed depends on what hull you have.

TUNNEL T
04-15-2007, 08:33 PM
go to spam and punch up lavey tunnel ! TUNNEL T

Towndrunk
04-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh so speaks the mis-informed blacked bleeding merc guy.... http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
I have a stock 2.6 GT 235 that has run 96+ on a 20' Allison @ 7,000 rpm. Oh such a weak rotating assembly. My other 235 ran for 7 years at 6500 - 7000 a lot of it's life. Yea, I finally burned a piston, but that was my fault. No rod holes in the block. That is not to say that it cannot happen, but I have seen way more mercs with rods hanging out of the side of the block than OMCs.
Speed depends on what hull you have.
Ohhhh big johnson, weak is weak. Ya can have an exception to the rule. I wouldn't call 7 K high rpm's. Hell my 9.9 turns almost that!!:D The reason for no holes hanging out is there aren't enough slomceeessssssssss around to notice.:idea: You are oh so right about the hull makes the speed. Don't blame me for bleeding black I been doing it all my life!:D :eek: ;)

Forkin' Crazy
04-16-2007, 08:35 PM
My 15 turns 7500. :sleeping:
It was rated 235 @ 5750. If you have ever seen an xflow piston, you would think 7K is high. Motor is about out of it power band, with stock porting anyway http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif