PDA

View Full Version : Air in pump

Taylorman
04-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Does anyone have a problem getting their pump primed when they first put it in the water. When i back my boat in and crank it, it takes about 2 minutes for my pump to prime. I usually just have the driver float me off the trailer and i crank the boat. I have to sit there for a couple minutes before the boat will actually move.

BrendellaJet
04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Really? do you open your reverse gate when backing in? Seems like that would solve the problem.
Never had that problem in my boat when it was running...:( I know I've heard of it before though. HTP makes a valve for the air to escape that you can install in the bowl.

jbone
04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Have you considered the Prime-a-jet?
See it listed at the link to Hi-Tech Performance
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM
J

DirtySquirty
04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Prime-A-Jet is the only way to go. I struggled trying to get my boat to Burp till I installed mine. No more trips down the ramp hoping that the current doesn't take me away before I can steer the boat. Good product.

Devilman
04-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Does anyone have a problem getting their pump primed when they first put it in the water. When i back my boat in and crank it, it takes about 2 minutes for my pump to prime. I usually just have the driver float me off the trailer and i crank the boat. I have to sit there for a couple minutes before the boat will actually move.
You have a droop on your boat? I've read here of people having that problem when they have a droop snoot..... I know Richard (Esabataj) usually will start his on the ramp before taking it off the trailer to make sure he doesn't launch & then can't go anywhere. LOL
I never had that problem in the past, but I recently put a G bowl on mine & a droop, so I may be looking into that Prime-A-Jet deal that was mentioned if it gives me trouble....

Taylorman
04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I have a straight snoot. I will get a prime a jet.

centerhill condor
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
the only way your pump primes is when the air leaks past your seal! try just letting her sit in the water for the same amount of time. You might be able to hear the air leaking past the seal depending on ambient noise.
also, if you run your place diverter all the way up at start up the air will have less pressure to overcome and may bleed more quickly.

sleekcrafter
04-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Got mine yesterday, it was never a problem, until the pump was redone. Seems the tighter the pump the more of an issue it is getting the air out. The tighter the pump is, the more of an issue you have doing damage to the wearring/impeller.

patrolman808
04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Probably a dumb question, but where does the primeajet mount?

BrendellaJet
04-12-2007, 11:43 AM
in the bowl just after the impeller

Rondane
04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Have you considered the Prime-a-jet?
check with johnny at BIG A (423) 745-8347 he has them also, $33.00
Just wanted to let you know. :D

SnakeCharmer
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Might check Inducer Impellers..from the MFG of your pump. :)

Taylorman
04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
check with johnny at BIG A (423) 745-8347 he has them also, $33.00
Just wanted to let you know. :D
I'll check with my guy, he invented them.
you guys must have a chetitis thing goin on or something. Dont really have the time to read up on the "chet" but maybe i should. Seems he left a lasting impression? Gave you a biatch treament a coupla times maybe? Anyways, Call me whoever you want or whatever you want...it's all good. Truth is you really dont know shit, your just throwing BS out there to make a thread. The thing is though that the guy will never sell that boat at that money. Are you just ebay stupid? It's called a "lost leader" in case you dont know. Read the guys ebay history sometime aka. things previously sold by him in case you didnt know what that is. Happens all the time. Alot more of a "useful" post than what spews out of your mouth. BTW, Have you ever met tom morrow much less talked to him? Well, sorry to disappoint but i have several times. Don and him where very tight. (They both know Ron Dane but i dont think a "chet" or whatever name of the week you have would ring a bell.) Alot more or a standup guy than that clown you associate with. Truth hurts dude...everytime.
I gotta ask ya though...what happened to your roostertail signature?? Did you get reemed out too many times and finallly figured it out?
you need to get a life as you must really be an asshole. I PM'd ya just so that thread stays clean and doesnt go to benchracers...you obviously dont know that tactic either.

HBjet
04-12-2007, 12:23 PM
it takes about 2 minutes for my pump to prime.
2 minutes?
I have a droop and I make sure the reverse nozzle is up when I launch. I never drive the boat off the trailer so it takes a minute before I turn the boat around, get in and fire it up. Usually is air in the pump for about 5 seconds at most. I could not imagine being there for 2 minutes tapping the gas and nothing happening.
HBjet

tahitijet
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
at most mine would be 5-10 seconds also.. always launch with the reverse gate open and then push the transom of the boat up and down a few times you can usually hear the air burp out and your set. the problem got much worse with the droop so i put a prime a jet on now you can hear the air escaping as you back into the water.

Taylorman
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Maybe not 2 minutes but it seems that long. Maybe one minute. I backed it in the other day with the gate open and it still occured. Im gonna order a prime a jet from www.hi-techperformance.com.

cave
04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
prime a jet really works. When I added the droop i was putting on a show for dock phucks. Once I added the prima jet the pump loaded instantly. This deal works. No BS.

Placecraft Dragstar
04-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Maybe not 2 minutes but it seems that long. Maybe one minute. I backed it in the other day with the gate open and it still occured. Im gonna order a prime a jet from www.hi-techperformance.com.
If you know where to shop they are only $22 delivered to your door, and yes they are the good ones.

BUSBY
04-13-2007, 05:33 AM
prime a jet ... it works ... should fix it
cyclone (Mike) had the same problem I think when he redid his pump last year, a lot of racers have had it as well ... not 2 minutes, but it might just seem like 2 minutes as you have said.
install it and move on.
to answer patrolman's question more directly, you tap your bowl about 3" back from the leading edge from where it bolts up to the suction piece (on the top of course) and screw it in.
It's a simple one way check valve that allows the air to escape. Well worth the money IMO to avoid wear ring damage.

b's sanger
04-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Back it down with the bucket open. It has worked pretty good for me.

jetboatperformance
04-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Prime-a-jets a good piece we've also seen folks simply drill a tiny relief (1/16) hole with a slight "backslant' in the top of the bowl ,the pic is a piece we use also but needs to be "burped" manually Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/steves%20eliminator/DSC03865.jpg

bp
04-14-2007, 10:58 AM
the prim-a-jet is a dual acting ball check that allows air to vent, but seals when water gets to it, at pretty much any pressure. it also seals to prevent air from entering the bowl from outside.
the last time i went to the rope without one was 6 years ago. the bucket was open for launch and all the way out there. after starting the engine and running it for 25 seconds, the boat would not move at the hit. after what seemed like years, it purged itself - something like a 30 second r/t. haven't run without one since.

cave
04-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Here is a pic of the one I installed on my pump.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j107/cave13/Prime-A-Jet.jpg

Shark Attack 065
04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
the last time i went to the rope without one was 6 years ago. the bucket was open for launch and all the way out there. after starting the engine and running it for 25 seconds, the boat would not move at the hit. after what seemed like years, it purged itself - something like a 30 second r/t. haven't run without one since.
Had the same problem last yr. with mine , fired it up when the lights start flashing and was lucky if the pump loaded when they went solid ( first race of the yr. ) My bud installed one for me between rounds and when I went to start the boat one hand on the rope other on key it blows the gate opened as soon as it fires off they work very well and I tryed the open gate and back in hard :mad:

Dogballs
04-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Might check Inducer Impellers..from the MFG of your pump. :)
Inducer won't make any difference one way or the other. Been there. Drill a 1/16" hole or install a prime-a jet.

Devilman
04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Well, after running my new droop this weekend, mine is having the same issues, even backing down the ramp with the reverse bucket open, it still took a good 25-30 seconds before it started moving any water. Sounds majorly trivial, but seemed like forever there, tryin to get away from the launch area. (I do everything I can not to tie up the ramp) LOL
Guess my question would now be, is it better for the bowl to be off to do the drilling & tapping, or is fine to do it with it on the boat....

bp
04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
it's ok to do with the bowl installed. just follow the instructions with it, go slow with the drill, and make sure it's nice and straight.

GasGuzzler
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Hold the shop vac hose right beside the bit and it will catch about all the shavings.

Dominator Scott
04-16-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't remember having this problem after installing the droop on the Sanger.:confused: Even with the bucket closed having this issue.
Guess I will have to check that in a couple weeks when I take the boat out for a shakedown run.

blue wonder
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Hold the shop vac hose right beside the bit and it will catch about all the shavings.
put a little grease on the bit if your worried about metal shavings...works pretty good...for some reason i have never had a problem with the pump priming...as soon as my boat fires on the line it starts pulling forward...never cavitates at the hit????...guess im lucky

squirt
04-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I"ve had a prime a jet too for about 2 years, it's still sitting on my dresser haven't got around to installing it yet. My pump won't load for a good while unless I launch it with the bucket open and the diverter in the up position, it's a pain in the ass if I forget and launch on a ramp with wakes or in the river.

GasGuzzler
04-17-2007, 05:01 AM
I"ve had a prime a jet too for about 2 years, it's still sitting on my dresser haven't got around to installing it yet. My pump won't load for a good while unless I launch it with the bucket open and the diverter in the up position, it's a pain in the ass if I forget and launch on a ramp with wakes or in the river.
The prime a jet took my air lock (with a droop) right out. Works as good as the banderlog valve:D

Taylorman
05-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Problem cured. That is the coolest part. I put my boat in yesterday and got in and no problem what so ever. I never knew it was there but it cured my problem. Thanks Duane.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/Parts.HTM

Rondane
05-14-2007, 07:35 PM
If you know where to shop they are only $22 delivered to your door, and yes they are the good ones.
taylorman...you just must have money to burn. :confused: Do you even like to save money? I think you get more of a kick out of swingin than anything else.

Taylorman
05-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Wow, that didn't take long for you to take that bait. Like an old catfish in muddy water. Wish the fish were biting this good last weekend, i could have caught my limit.