PDA

View Full Version : I-tunes: My CD's vs Purchaed online?

2Driver
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Hopefully someone has an easy answer for me. Like most, my I-Tunes library has both my CD music converted into it as well as music I bought online. If you look at it in Windows Explorer you see both music and nothing is different
However, here is the difference I ran into:
I am currently editing Parker 425 video I shot at the race. While attempting to put some music to the video I found that only the songs that came from my CD conversions into I-Tunes will show up for insertion to tht video. Music I purchased online via I-Tunes shows the main folder (by album name) but wont show the songs if you click on the folder to add it to the video? Even if I copy and paste it wont bring any music in. However, I can insert music in my I-Tune library that was originally brought in by CD.
Any thoughts? All my good stuff is from online too :mad:

Coded-Dude
04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
In short.....online music is generally held to higher anti-piracy standards than CD's
(i.e. it has DRM - digital rights management)
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/
Steve Jobs wrote a lengthy, yet informative blog about the whole issue.

blown65
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
burn to cd and rip back into itunes. :)

AZKC
04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I burned cds and ripped them into Media Player then Movie Maker would pick them up.

Parker Dreamin
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I use a thing called Tune-bite... it takes your m4p and converts to mp3

2Driver
04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Great, HB'rs are the best!

blown65
04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Also, they just announced that for 30 cents more a single you can get it DRM free. Personally Ill save the change and just convert them, really not that big of a deal even though its stupid.

Racey
04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes the can be converted, but this is what audio experts refer to as a transcode, it is essentially like making a copy of a copy in a xerox machine, you will loose sound quality since the two differenent encoding schemes (mp3 and AAC/m4a) discard different information from the sound file to reduce it's size from standard wav format. This matters when you are listening on hi-end equipment or especially headphones, if you listen to enough music you can pick this out pretty easily. For 90% of listeners they don't pay attention enough to notice. It makes the music sound tinny, and you can hear more 'artifacts' or unwanted static.
Just FYI from an audiophile.