PDA

View Full Version : Who has their boat documented with the Coast Guard?

Magic34
04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
If you have it documented with the CG, does law enforcement in AZ recognize that or do they hassle you?
I know it is as legit if not more than local AZ #s, however, how does the local water police feel out here in AZ?
BoatCop, any love on this?

Big Warlock
04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Law enforcement in Az. does recognize it. No problem. I have been stopped and asked if it is coast guard registered. Easy enough. I know a few others as well. I did register my Donzi in Az. for a year as well because I went through a service to get the name changed, etc. etc. Took a few months. Now the Dept of Revenue in Az. is looking for taxes on the sale of the Donzi prior to registering it for next year.
Not going to re register it in Az.. And they (Arizona) owe me over $500K!!! So no, they will not be getting a check from me for the Donzi!! :devil: Maybe they need to pay me the money they have been holding out for four years???

al cole'holic
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Law enforcement in Az. does recognize it. No problem. I have been stopped and asked if it is coast guard registered. Easy enough. I know a few others as well. I did register my Donzi in Az. for a year as well because I went through a service to get the name changed, etc. etc. Took a few months. Now the Dept of Revenue in Az. is looking for taxes on the sale of the Donzi prior to registering it for next year.
Not going to re register it in Az.. And they (Arizona) owe me over $500K!!! So no, they will not be getting a check from me for the Donzi!! :devil: Maybe they need to pay me the money they have been holding out for four years???
...there's a story worthy of a large tub of popcorn :eek:

soupersonic
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Coast Guard Registered here also. It says right in the state web site that is one of the exceptions.
Straight from the Game and Fish webpage :)
All motorboats must be registered in Arizona regardless of their size, construction, or type and size of motor. This includes, for example, inflatable rafts, sailboats and canoes with motors (including electric motors). Exceptions to the registration requirement include watercraft used solely as lifeboats and those documented by the U. S. Coast Guard.

racecar.hotshoe
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
And it beats the crap out of cailfs reg every year

driverno8
04-12-2007, 02:33 PM
How do you even go about registering it with the CG. Between registering it that way and having the pink slip to it. Will I still need to pay the f'n luxury tax every year. God, that's getting old...quick!

racecar.hotshoe
04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
How do you even go about registering it with the CG. Between registering it that way and having the pink slip to it. Will I still need to pay the f'n luxury tax every year. God, that's getting old...quick!
you will still pay the lux tax just no reg

Mrs. 20
04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Our last boat was CG registered, and we never had a problem in AZ. We wanted to do it with this one, but the numbers are painted on. So it seems to be too much of an undertaking.:(

Jordy
04-12-2007, 02:40 PM
We wanted to do it with this one, but the numbers are painted on.
Painted numbers really aren't that hard to remove. Same thing with painted on names, although I have a hunch that boat has No Name. :D :D :D
There was a thread about it in the how to section. As I recall, oven cleaner was a popular method. ;)

driverno8
04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
you will still pay the lux tax just no reg
Then how do I get out of paying the luxury tax. $900+ a year is getting old.

racecar.hotshoe
04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Then how do I get out of paying the luxury tax. $900+ a year is getting old.
Move to Az.......:D

DeltaSigBoater
04-12-2007, 02:56 PM
In three years only stoped twice first time at Havasu Springs showed him the doc's good to go. 2nd time was not so good, had wife and kids with me, after going through the paper work and all was good no ticket yet so he inspected the boat for all the life jackets fire ext. you name it he wanted to see it, he musted of had a bad day Now there's one thing he over looked. It was the official number was not PAINTED IN 3 INCH size numbers on the main hull inside. Its there now and if you read what was sent to you the fine can be in the thousands if someone wanted to push it.
Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port.
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
All documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements

Boatcop
04-12-2007, 03:37 PM
How do you figure Arizona owes you money? Documenting a boat doesn't exempt you from sales tax. And there's no Luxury Tax in AZ.

Xlration Marine
04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Heck I was told 75 percent of the boast registerd in Havasu were owned by Cali people any way. 5 or 6 to a house.
As far as AZ motor boats. Does not say that row boats need to be registerd. That was what I thought it said. Only boats with motors of any kind need to be registerd. I don't think that pontoons and belly boats need to be registerd.How many people are going to register a blow up raft that holds 2 kids. Yup just called them. It has to be registerd if it has a motor of any kind. Paddles do not count nor do kick fins

OnlyMoney
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port.
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.
All documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements
Thank you DeltaSig for that one...Jordy didn't believe me...although we've had to deal with the law, and I don't mean just on the water with it here in Nevada. They changed our law here in 2003 so it's not like AZ anymore....the rat bastards! :mad:

Boatcop
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Heck I was told 75 percent of the boast registerd in Havasu were owned by Cali people any way. 5 or 6 to a house.
As far as AZ motor boats. Does not say that row boats need to be registerd. That was what I thought it said. Only boats with motors of any kind need to be registerd. I don't think that pontoons and belly boats need to be registerd.How many people are going to register a blow up raft that holds 2 kids. Yup just called them. It has to be registerd if it has a motor of any kind. Paddles do not count nor do kick fins
Boats are required to be registered in the "State of Primary Use", meaning where it's used 51% of the time. On the Colorado River, that can be either Arizona, California, or Nevada. (On the upper River and Mead/Mohave)
That doesn't apply to Documented Vessels.
As far as boats in Havasu being owned by Californians and registered in AZ, that's not a problem. Except that they must pay non-resident rates. Owning property, or using an AZ address doesn't make someone a resident. The AZGFD cross checks residents with Driver's License, vehicle registrations, Voter Registrations and State Income Tax returns.
You must actually BE an AZ resident to get resident in-state rates.

soupersonic
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
You should save your breath you"ll need to blow up your date later,and learn how to spell. My god whats a registerd? :D

burtandnancy2
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
The Coast Guard is not your problem, nor any LE officials, its the TAX MAN who wants to see you. I had to jump thru hoops in NV to AVOID $10,600 in state taxes. Its worth doing a little paper work.

OnlyMoney
04-12-2007, 04:05 PM
The Coast Guard is not your problem, nor any LE officials, its the TAX MAN who wants to see you. I had to jump thru hoops in NV to AVOID $10,600 in state taxes. Its worth doing a little paper work.
And those hoops are getting smaller and smaller and further and further apart. Damn, maybe we'll just have to stick to used boats and private party from now on. :)

Magic34
04-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I am buying a boat out of TX from a private party. I am required to CG doc the boat by the bank financing the deal.
Is AZ going to be weird about that, or does my bill of sale cover me because I technically wont have the titles and will never see them due to the loan?
I I have a Bill of Sale from the private party individual, I am covered, right?

Magic34
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
What paperwork, the Coast Guard doc?

Jordy
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
How do you figure Arizona owes you money? Documenting a boat doesn't exempt you from sales tax. And there's no Luxury Tax in AZ.
Alan, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the monies owed aren't related to the boat being documented. ;)
Thank you DeltaSig for that one...Jordy didn't believe me...
I believe you that it's a tax issue and there was more to the story than you were initially explaining... :notam:

OnlyMoney
04-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Alan, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the monies owed aren't related to the boat being documented. ;)
I believe you that it's a tax issue and there was more to the story than you were initially explaining... :notam:
Yes, you partially got me on that one. I should have explained it as two seperate issues yesterday...but NV is still different. Just like what DeltaSig wrote above.

Jordy
04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes, you partially got me on that one. I should have explained it as two seperate issues yesterday...but NV is still different. Just like what DeltaSig wrote above.
Wow, and I thought Kalifornistan was bad:
http://www.ndow.org/boat/register/doc/index.shtm

burtandnancy2
04-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Majic34. In my case, I had to prove the boat was out of state for 6 months. Luckily for me, I had receipts from CA approximately 8 months before I got a receipt from the Harbor Master for my first slip fee. This was good enough for the state tax man to lower my tax from $10,600 to the usual fee of $100. Whew! I guess it will vary from state to state. Good luck...

FilthyHaBIT
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm in the process of CG documenting my boat right now....1st you must determine if your boat qualifies for CG documentation. Its seem 25' or greater is the cutoff limit. They have an online calculator to plug in your lenght width and berth to find your net tonnage. two reasons for me to document ....boat was purchased from private party and to register with state will send up flag for tax man....secondly I HATE the idea of putting those decal numbers on such a beautiful gel coat job.....Ultra gel job is the shiat..

OnlyMoney
04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow, and I thought Kalifornistan was bad:
http://www.ndow.org/boat/register/doc/index.shtm
Miss Patti is who's been in the room with Chris the past two days. :rolleyes:

soupersonic
04-12-2007, 09:04 PM
I am buying a boat out of TX from a private party. I am required to CG doc the boat by the bank financing the deal.
Is AZ going to be weird about that, or does my bill of sale cover me because I technically wont have the titles and will never see them due to the loan?
I I have a Bill of Sale from the private party individual, I am covered, right?
Bro you just have to keep the loan documents aboard with your bill of sale. Copies are fine.The Coast Guard takes some time to get the vessel registered,they are way backed up. Dont sweat it.

Fountainduo
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Ours is documented, but have found it all depends on the lake your on. At least in our case. Been checked as much as 4 times in 2 days...... Kinda takes some fun away. No problems when checked, but when you are sittin there tryin to have fun........and your sober and they want to look at your docs. while 100' feet away there are ski boats full of drunk kids and they dont bother them...........well enough said

Magic34
04-12-2007, 11:11 PM
So, if I have a Bill of Sale notarized on both ends, seller and buyer, is that sufficient proof for the state of AZ for me not to be charged tax?
I haven't seen the titles yet, but the bank is getting those anyways. I wont ever see the titles until I pay it off when I sell it. I have a bill of sale stating a private party sale basically between 2 individuals, not businesses. Is AZ going to try and collect tax based on the purchase price on the bill of sale even though I consider this a private sale?

Boatcop
04-13-2007, 05:47 AM
So, if I have a Bill of Sale notarized on both ends, seller and buyer, is that sufficient proof for the state of AZ for me not to be charged tax?
I haven't seen the titles yet, but the bank is getting those anyways. I wont ever see the titles until I pay it off when I sell it. I have a bill of sale stating a private party sale basically between 2 individuals, not businesses. Is AZ going to try and collect tax based on the purchase price on the bill of sale even though I consider this a private sale?
If this is a new boat, purchased from a dealer, and has never had sales tax ( in any state) paid on it, AZ will want sales tax.
If it is legitimate private party sale. That is, a purchase by one individual from another individual, then no sales tax is required.

Instigators
04-13-2007, 06:29 AM
I also bought my 353 Formula out of Texas and was required to Document it by the lender. It costs about 600.00 and is well worth it. Just make sure you read all the paperwork and keep your address current with homeland security. The annual renewal is free but must be done every year. The fine for running without renewal is something stupid like 10,000.00. Just send in the renewal and no big deal.
1st the lender took care of the Documentation Process thru Atlantic Boat Documentation. They can be found @ http://www.abdoc.com/forms.html
2nd, make sure that you have a seperate bill of sale on the Trailer Only for as small a price as possible. That way when you register the trailer, if you are required to pay sales tax, you will only have to pay sales tax on the trailer price.
3rd In the state of Arizona, you will not have to pay sales tax if you are buying used ( previously registered ) from an Individual or private party. From a business, then you will have to pay in either the selling state or the buyers state and have proof of taxes being payed.

Magic34
04-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I can hardly decide what boat I want to keep for more than a year.
Now I have to pick a name I will remain happy with?
Sh*t!!!!!!! This is a 2 month process in itself.

Magic34
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
If this is a new boat, purchased from a dealer, and has never had sales tax ( in any state) paid on it, AZ will want sales tax.
If it is legitimate private party sale. That is, a purchase by one individual from another individual, then no sales tax is required.
OK... If they come looking, I am quoting you. :D :D
Thanks for the help and adding your thoughts to this thread. I appreciate it.

azwetnwild
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree with what has been said in this thread, just a little bit of our story with documenting.
In 2000 we bought a new house boat from Kentucky, and at the time the selling company "who is out of business now" said if you document you don't have to pay the state sales tax. I was stupid and believed them. In 2005 I received a notice from AZ indicating I owed $20,000.00 in taxes and penalties. Took the notice to our tax man and he tried, to no avail to get the penalties waived. We stated I was relying on the selling company who setup the financing and such.
We're still Documented and if we buy a new big boat we will stay Documented but I will definitely pay the taxes.

Big Warlock
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Arizona owes me money via my business. Happy to share the long version. The short version is a state law that exempted certain size pipe (material) from state tax. My company paid that tax because of liability issues between the developers, us and the state. Over tha past years, many construction companies have been applying for this tax to be returned. In the interest of my business, we applied for the credit as well. The state acknowledged this and then audited my books for two years. Bottom line: they owe me the money and they have been stalling in paying me and others.
If you want more information I can put you in touch with one of my attorneys working on the case.
But it has nothing to do with my Donzi. My Donzi was a private sale between myself and another individual in Missouri. Far as I know, a private sale between two parties is a non taxable event for the Arizona resident. True?

Boatcop
04-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Arizona owes me money via my business. Happy to share the long version. The short version is a state law that exempted certain size pipe (material) from state tax. My company paid that tax because of liability issues between the developers, us and the state. Over tha past years, many construction companies have been applying for this tax to be returned. In the interest of my business, we applied for the credit as well. The state acknowledged this and then audited my books for two years. Bottom line: they owe me the money and they have been stalling in paying me and others.
If you want more information I can put you in touch with one of my attorneys working on the case.
But it has nothing to do with my Donzi. My Donzi was a private sale between myself and another individual in Missouri. Far as I know, a private sale between two parties is a non taxable event for the Arizona resident. True?
Ahhh!
It sounded like the boat and the money owned was connected.
True. Private party sales do not pay sales tax.
Actually, in AZ, sales tax is kind of a misnomer. We have what's called "Transaction Privilege Tax". A company that conducts business in AZ is required to pay 5.6% of the cost of goods to the state for the "privilege" of selling in AZ. The COMPANY has to pay this. But the tax laws allow (but not require) the tax to be passed on to the consumer. That's why you see a lot of "sales" in AZ where the company says "WE PAY THE TAX".
For good purchased out of state for use in AZ, the tax is levied on the purchaser.

Wild Horses
04-13-2007, 03:19 PM
I also bought my 353 Formula out of Texas and was required to Document it by the lender. It costs about 600.00 and is well worth it.
Save yourself about $480.00 by going on line and getting the paperwork and doing it your self. I did mine and it is way easy!!! :D I don't even have a title to my boat, a CG documented boat is not required to have a title. I had to pay the taxes on mine when I registered it for the state. :mad:
Clint
Runnin' Wild

Big Warlock
04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Ahhh!
It sounded like the boat and the money owned was connected.
True. Private party sales do not pay sales tax.
Actually, in AZ, sales tax is kind of a misnomer. We have what's called "Transaction Privilege Tax". A company that conducts business in AZ is required to pay 5.6% of the cost of goods to the state for the "privilege" of selling in AZ. The COMPANY has to pay this. But the tax laws allow (but not require) the tax to be passed on to the consumer. That's why you see a lot of "sales" in AZ where the company says "WE PAY THE TAX".
For good purchased out of state for use in AZ, the tax is levied on the purchaser.
Thanks Alan! Just trying to avoid paying something I shouldn"t!