PDA

View Full Version : Todays Parker Winds, or Box Anchor Re-set Lesson

Trailer Park Casanova
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I was online with the wife logging onto: make me com. heal, no wait, it was: make me heal .com when the winds picked up here in Parker, just south of Havasu on the Colorado river.
Two Pontoon boats beached & secured a few yards away from us, but also a families new Kachina just broke loose from it's box anchor,, and the beach spike and took off for Bass Point. The family nowhere around, no clue where they camp'd.
I ran out the door and made it down the beach & into the water to just grab the boats stearn rope and hung on, but the then boat was caught in the winds irons and started to swing into one of the pontoon boats for a nasty t-bone, or me and the boat were gonna take off for a$$ point.
I was up to my ass in the water, gelcoat damage gonna happen to this beautiful Kachina for sure. Big ol' slab sided Kachina caught in a 45 mph+ wind, me with a graveyard class hangover trying to hold it.
I looked down river and saw Boatcop in route, then three neighbors came down and we held the families Kachina from harms way.
I sent Maynard to find the family, only on the strength we knew they drove a red Ez Go.
Damn,, a lot of red EzGos at Emerald Cove campground.
Good ol 7 year old Maynard found them and the thankful Kachina owner fired up his Kachina and got it in open water, we got his trailer on the ramp, and severl hot run tries in the strong winds and whitecaps, got the boat on trailer and all was well.
The lesson:
This time of year lots of new boaters buy a box anchor at the campground store, and like in this case, just simply tie 15 feet of rope throw it overboard in 12 feet of water and that's it. With no wind or current, they think they have it dick'd.
Ya gotta put plenty of rope on it and 6 ft of heavy chain,, even though Box Anchor claims ya don't need chain.
On a lake or the sand bar maybe no chain, but in current you should consider 3 times the depth for the length of rope leading to your
Box Anchor, and 6 ft of heavy chain,, hooked up old school style.
If you're anchored in 8 ft deep of flowing water then at least 24 feet of rope leading to your box anchor, and remember the chain.
At least that works for us.
Hope this helps someone.

AirtimeLavey
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Good man. Nice save. I always carry chain for the box, but don't always use it (the chain). Nice to have it for sitches like you desc.

mrs.rvrluvr
04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I bet they were glad you saw it happen.....thumbs up for helping a fellow boater

BajaMike
04-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Nothing like lots of line and 6 feet of chain to hold the boat in the wind and/or current (3 times the depth is the minimum for those conditions...the more the better. 6 times the depth is better if you have no chain).
I've been in Gasoline alley a few times with a bunch of boats tied together....usually some guys have no anchor out, most of the rest have theirs hanging straight down, thinking it's holding them (it's not), and a couple boats have a properly set anchor with plenty of line out, and they are holding the whole bunch of boats. A good wind comes up and everyone is drifting into the rocks......:jawdrop:
:jawdrop:

phebus
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
TPC, where were you when my trash can blew away today? :D

RitcheyRch
04-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Thumbs up for helping out a fellow boater. I'm sure they appreciated it.

77charger
04-12-2007, 04:08 PM
This time of year lots of new boaters buy a box anchor at the campground store, and like in this case, just simply tie 15 feet of rope throw it overboard in 12 feet of water and that's it.
Aint that the truth just cause they have a box anchor they thinh they hold in any conditions.Minimum of 3-1 rope to depth ratio in the thing they ought to learn first.
Yes a box anchor could do with with 2-1 but if condition get bad they just might not hold

Boatcop
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Aint that the truth just cause they have a box anchor they thinh they hold in any conditions.Minimum of 3-1 rope to depth ratio in the thing they ought to learn first.
Yes a box anchor could do with with 2-1 but if condition get bad they just might not hold
Recommended anchor scope (length) is 7-10 times the depth of the water.

purrfecttremor
04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Good you were there and willing to help:D :D

boatnam2
04-12-2007, 05:16 PM
pretty tough deal at emerald.i have yet to really get my boat to hold...well once but then i couldnt get the anchor up had a diver dig it out.you throw out 30 or 40 feet of rope it can be a real pain in the ass you leave and your bouy is 5 camps down and someone takes your spot or runs it over,or you try and roll up the rope in a current between 2 boats 5 feet apart in 10ft of water(dosesnt work either)so we pretty much take a ride and take it out unless im going to be standing there holding it.i guess if i had a little boat maybe but a bigger deck boat forget it.

Racey
04-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Lucky for them there are good Samaritans like you, I'd of grabbed the popcorn before i jumped into that water :devil:

Trailer Park Casanova
04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Recommended anchor scope (length) is 7-10 times the depth of the water.
Good to know BC, even with a Box anchor?