PDA

View Full Version : Ride Plate & Shoe

biggraypig
04-13-2007, 04:49 AM
What will a ride plate and shoe do for my performance and ride? Just picked one up and would like to know more info.
How do you install one? Does it just bolt up to the pump?
Berkeley 12JBA pump, 455 Olds, "73" Sidewinder super jet.

Jetaholic
04-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but from the closeup pic of the pump it looks like it has the wrong reverse bucket on it. Usually on a pump without the diverter the actuator arm on the reverse bucket is on the left side and the reverse cable runs through the large hole in the tiller arm right next to where the steering cable attaches to it. By attaching it the way it is now, that's whats putting that kink in the reverse cable, which isn't good for it. I'd hate to have that cable break while you're blowin' ass down the lake...that could be disasterous.
And here you go. :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28584&d=1176468401
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28585&d=1176468465
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28586&d=1176468521

Oldsquirt
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but from the closeup pic of the pump it looks like it has the wrong reverse bucket on it. Usually on a pump without the diverter the actuator arm on the reverse bucket is on the left side and the reverse cable runs through the large hole in the tiller arm right next to where the steering cable attaches to it. By attaching it the way it is now, that's whats putting that kink in the reverse cable, which isn't good for it. I'd hate to have that cable break while you're blowin' ass down the lake...that could be disasterous.
That's a 12JB and it is exactly how Berkeley designed/built it(although the cable looks a bit beat).

biggraypig
04-13-2007, 11:58 AM
That's the way it was when I bought it.
So can I put a ride plate and shoe on this pump?
Thanks again

centerhill condor
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
my understanding is that the boat actually rides on the ride plate. that is to say that there is less boat in the water and a corresponding reduction in drag.

Nucking futs
04-13-2007, 12:41 PM
The ride plate is an extention of the boat which means it extends the riding surface. Its not worth the money for a low HP set up and a stock performing boat. Just add a Place diverter and enjoy the boat.
Does nobody know how to use the search engine on this site? Its been asked about time and time and time again.:)

Riverbass
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
This pic my or may not help
IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/srferjo/IMG_0063.jpg[/IMG]

Riverbass
04-13-2007, 04:44 PM
This pic my or may not help

Riverbass
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Sorry this computer is a pile
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/srferjo/IMG_0063.jpg

Rondane
04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Its not worth the money for a low HP set up and a stock performing boat. Just add a Place diverter and enjoy the boat.
good point futs. add to that a loader and he will be good to go. He bought the add a shoe kit that was on ebay. He could always try it and take it off later.
rondane

biggraypig
04-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Like to use the search engine too, but then I wouldn't get all these interesting comments.
So, what you are telling me is I won't benefit any from a shoe and ride plate.
I am rebuilding a engine right now, (400 to 500 HP) and a place diverter will be in the near future.
If this mod won't help what will?

biggraypig
04-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the pics jetaholic.

old rigger
04-14-2007, 07:39 AM
biggraypig (cool name)
Your reverse gate is spot on and the way it came from the factory, jetaholic is just to young to remember the old school way of doing things. :) There's no kink on the cable, that's just the way it was and it's why they used that little knuckle with the rubber boot, which is impossiible to find now.
Nucking Futs is right too, skip the shoe and ride plate and spend your cash on a place diverter, 90% of the guys that spend the $ and effort to install the shoe/plate combo don't need it. You'll be able to up grade to the more modern reverse set up and unlike a shoe, a place diverter is something every jet boat can use. Besides, with that deep entry on the bottom of your hull, the faster you go the more it'll bow steer when you get off the gas...toss your girl friend outa the boat, break ribs, spin out, no fun. You want to go faster, get a newer design boat with a better bottom. You want to have fun, run your boat with a diverter. :)

mach1alaska
04-14-2007, 07:48 AM
there is alot more than just bolting a shoe and ride plate on, you have to machine the intake to install it and then play with shoe hight and plate angle
you have a nice boat right now I agrea with the others I would add a place diverter to it and have fun the shoe and ride plate probably wont help much without a bunch of other mods anyway
I had the same hull years ago and it handled reasonably rough water good handled great and cornered hard even at speed, it was alot of fun

BrendellaJet
04-14-2007, 07:52 AM
So, what you are telling me is I won't benefit any from a shoe and ride plate.
I am rebuilding a engine right now, (400 to 500 HP) and a place diverter will be in the near future.
If this mod won't help what will?
If you want more performance, you need more power. The diverter is a must for any jet boat. 400 hp is relatively stock for most lake jet boats. 500 hp or even 600 hp is really easy to do with a BBC or BBF. Hopefully you have one of those to work with. Do some research before you start buying parts for your build. Jet boat motors are special and depending on the foundation you have they require special mods to make them live.

biggraypig
04-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the tips Rigger.

old rigger
04-14-2007, 07:54 AM
there is alot more than just bolting a shoe and ride plate on, you have to machine the intake to install it and then play with shoe hight and plate angle
you have a nice boat right now I agrea with the others I would add a place diverter to it and have fun the shoe and ride plate probably wont help much without a bunch of other mods anyway
You're right, that is the correct way to do it... but there is a kit out there that is a bolt on deal for a normal (read that G, C, or old B, non e-pump like the one pictured above) berkeley. I think that's the one Rondane is talking about. :)

old rigger
04-14-2007, 08:00 AM
If you want more performance, you need more power. The diverter is a must for any jet boat. 400 hp is relatively stock for most lake jet boats. 500 hp or even 600 hp is really easy to do with a BBC or BBF. Hopefully you have one of those to work with. Do some research before you start buying parts for your build. Jet boat motors are special and depending on the foundation you have they require special mods to make them live.
He said in his first post that he's running an Olds, so he better do his homework to get 500 ponies from there, and make it live. :)