PDA

View Full Version : Weather at Havasu on Saturday

496mag
04-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Well it looks like we are going to be getting windy on the lake Saturday. It looks like its going to start at about 7mph in the morning and get to about 20mph at 6pm. My question is how rough does it get out there with those wind speeds and where is the best places to find smoother water when it is windy.
Thanks

Not So Fast
04-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Well it looks like we are going to be getting windy on the lake Saturday. It looks like its going to start at about 7mph in the morning and get to about 20mph at 6pm. My question is how rough does it get out there with those wind speeds and where is the best places to find smoother water when it is windy.
Thanks
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/243127_Fundeck_sunk_005.jpg NSF

Kilrtoy
04-13-2007, 07:15 AM
20 MPH is pretty normal out there. It was 20 last weekend

Not So Fast
04-13-2007, 07:32 AM
My reply picture was result of winds around 30-40 as I remember and it happened at Windsor last year or the year before (I'm forgetful now). As far as weather predictions go , yeah I believe them, sure I do;) This mornings winds were much higher that 20mph I can guarantee that, as to what they will be on Saturday, who knows but winds on this lake can be and are dangerous. Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

Mrs.Racer277
04-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Lake Wind Advisory
/O.NEW.KVEF.LW.Y.0006.070413T1523Z- 070414T0100Z/ LAKE HAVASU AND FORT MOHAVE-LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA- SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY-UPPER COLORADO RIVER VALLEY- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LAKE HAVASU...TOPOCK... NEEDLES... LAUGHLIN...BULLHEAD CITY... HOOVER DAM 823 AM PDT FRI APR 13 2007 /823 AM MST FRI APR 13 2007/
...LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PDT /6 PM MST/ THIS AFTERNOON...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LAS VEGAS HAS ISSUED A LAKE WIND ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PDT /6 PM MST/ THIS AFTERNOON FOR THE LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA AND LAKE MOHAVE.
NORTH WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL AFFECT THE LAKES FOR MUCH OF THE DAY BEFORE DIMINISHING LATE THIS AFTERNOON. THE WINDS WILL BE STRONGEST IN AREAS SOUTH OF COTTONWOOD COVE...AND IN NORTH SOUTH ORIENTED CHANNELS.
A LAKE WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS IN EXCESS OF 25 MPH WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS BOATING CONDITIONS ON AREA LAKES. THE STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE CHOPPY WATERS AND GENERATE LARGE WAVES WHICH COULD CAPSIZE OR SWAMP SMALL CRAFT.
BOATERS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION IF VENTURING OUT ONTO AREA LAKES DURING THE ADVISORY PERIOD...OR CONSIDER POSTPONING THEIR ACTIVITIES UNTIL AFTER THE WINDS SUBSIDE. AVOID THE OPEN WATER AND STAY CLOSE TO SHORE OR IN PROTECTED COVES AND INLETS.
Surf's Up :mad:

shueman
04-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Winds can whip up the lake pretty fast....:eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1761DSC03965a.JPG

yopengo
04-13-2007, 08:55 AM
We were out yesterday and it was not fun. We hit a big wave and the bump took out my father-in-laws back. Had to drop him off at the sheriff's dock. Then my daughter droped my truck keys in the lake. Thank God I always have a spare key. Had to load the boat and a SeaDoo solo in the wind...not fun. Windy today already. :(

Mrs.Racer277
04-13-2007, 09:40 AM
We were out yesterday and it was not fun. We hit a big wave and the bump took out my father-in-laws back. Had to drop him off at the sheriff's dock. Then my daughter droped my truck keys in the lake. Thank God I always have a spare key. Had to load the boat and a SeaDoo solo in the wind...not fun. Windy today already. :(
I can not believe all the small boats I saw headed out today. :eek:

Throttle
04-13-2007, 09:54 AM
to everyone that I told I would be on the water this weekend... cuz unless this wind stops I am not launching! I can not believe how many boats that I have seen that look like they are headed to the water... be safe... c ya in the channel - in my golf cart! yep its yellow too:D

MR HARLEY
04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Sounds great , what time do we launch. :D

MrsGHT
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Sounds great , what time do we launch. :D
Hey, you guys going to be out there this weekend? BTW, remember when we saw you last weekend right before Cattail, we ran out of gas and tried to call you. Anyways, think the gauges are off, but was able to get towed right away.

MR HARLEY
04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey, you guys going to be out there this weekend? BTW, remember when we saw you last weekend right before Cattail, we ran out of gas and tried to call you. Anyways, think the gauges are off, but was able to get towed right away.
Nope, I am at home this week. :mad:
You called? You sure you have my right number? :)
Glad you made it home safetly and great seeing all of you!

MrsGHT
04-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Nope, I am at home this week. :mad:
You called? You sure you have my right number? :)
Glad you made it home safetly and great seeing all of you!
As Don was trying to find your number in his directory, my mom had already started to flag someone down. So, we were just about to call. Anyways, see you next time. Have a good weekend.:D

BOBALOO
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
We are leaving for our first (river) trip of the year in 20 minutes:D
Is there anything fun to do in Havasu? I am having a hard time remembering the place;)

BOBALOO
04-13-2007, 10:26 AM
As Don was trying to find your number in his directory, my mom had already started to flag someone down. So, we were just about to call. Anyways, see you next time. Have a good weekend.:D
What's up Mrs Dog :D

That Guy
04-13-2007, 10:26 AM
tried to call you.
You didn't call us...:cry: :cry: :)

MrsGHT
04-13-2007, 10:32 AM
We are leaving for our first (river) trip of the year in 20 minutes:D
Is there anything fun to do in Havasu? I am having a hard time remembering the place;)
Where's Havasu?

MrsGHT
04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
What's up Mrs Dog :D
Hey you, what's up?!!! On the road in 20min., huh. We'll be leaving at 1:30.

MrsGHT
04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
You didn't call us...:cry: :cry: :)
Me? You didn't call us.:jawdrop:

Mrs.Racer277
04-13-2007, 10:40 AM
to everyone that I told I would be on the water this weekend... cuz unless this wind stops I am not launching! I can not believe how many boats that I have seen that look like they are headed to the water... be safe... c ya in the channel - in my golf cart! yep its yellow too:D
Honk Honk :D

That Guy
04-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Me? You didn't call us.:jawdrop:
Home this weekend but out the next 2...you guys?:)

MrsGHT
04-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Home this weekend but out the next 2...you guys?:)
We'll be back that first weekend in May also, so we'll make sure to keep in touch and see you guys then. As for next weekend, we'll be home.

Mrs.RoxySnow
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
We'll be back that first weekend in May also, so we'll make sure to keep in touch and see you guys then. As for next weekend, we'll be home.
Hey chickie, check your PM's :devil:

ANXIETY ATTACK
04-13-2007, 11:15 AM
2 years ago this time of arpil coming back from the sand bar the winds were 40-50 mph, flying across the tops of 4 to 5 footers, I was having a blast, my friends were pissed off and throwing up. 6 boats sank that day.

DeepVee
04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm with Anxiety Attack and love the wind, makes all the waves go in one direction and gets rid of all the washing machine crap. Pick the bow up and stary jumping waves.

79 HUSTLER
04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
2 years ago this time of arpil coming back from the sand bar the winds were 40-50 mph, flying across the tops of 4 to 5 footers, I was having a blast, my friends were pissed off and throwing up. 6 boats sank that day.
That was a wild day. Coming up on the lake from the mouth of the river it looked like a traffic jam, everyone waiting it out. We made it through that in a 29 cat and 21 foot open bow.. :eek: :eek: That was sure scary but fun. Nothing like having to wear scuba masks and snorkles just to see and breath :D :D :D

ANXIETY ATTACK
04-13-2007, 02:25 PM
79 hustler, that was f ing funny, mask and snorkle to breath!
my friends were saying HEY BRET, why are we the only ones out in the middle of the lake? no worrys mate we're in havasu! said here have a beer, relax, even though it was imposible to drink anything on that trip back, you might chip a tooth.

Dan Lorenze
04-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Thursday and Friday were pretty bad, at least for my little boat.. Pretty much a "Channel" type of Havasu trip. Today it finally calmed down in the morning so we headed up to Topock for a couple of hours.. Today was a busy day in the channel...
Pic from Thursday (flag tells it all)..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dan_Lorenze/Havasuwind.jpg?t=1176607463

voodoomedman
04-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah Thursday was nuts. Launched and it was fine so we took off south. I got just past Steamboat and decided to head back and chill in Steamboat cuz I didn't like the way the sky looked. We were chillin in Steamboat for a few and the wind got a little silly so we booked back to the channel and the water wasn't really too bad. Hung out in the channel for a bit and the weather wasn't getting any better so we decided to get the heck out while we could. Got to the mouth of the the channel at Windsor Basin and was staring down 6 foot freaking rollers. It was nuts. I could have made it but why. Dropped my in-laws off by the condos and they hiked the road through Windsor for the couple or so miles and got my truck to pull us out at the Marina. I hate the Marina but they sure do have the best location. Oh and they were jerks that day as well. Made us hate them even more.