PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Tutorial (For those of you who aren't yet trailer saavy)

Jetaholic
04-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Some people see a combination vehicle and they freak. Because the first thing they think is that you drive the truck and the trailer just follows you and does what it wants. Not so when you actually know how to tow. When towing, you're not driving the truck per se....you're driving the trailer.
The worst thing you can do when handling a trailer is overthink it. This is the problem with most people that try to pull a trailer.
The easiest analogy (uh..huh..huh...he said anal...huh..huh) I can think of is that it's just as easy as pulling a Radio Flyer wagon. Think of the front wheels and the handle of the wagon as the truck, while the rest of the wagon is the trailer. When driving forward, you just have to remember that the vehicle is a little longer. Left turns are easy...you almost don't have to do anything different to make a left turn. Once you have the front of the truck in the left hand lane that you're turning into, immedietly straighten out the truck, and the trailer will get pulled straight before it approaches the median. Remember, the rear end of the trailer will always follow the direction of the steering wheel when going forward.
Right turns...you drive straight until the wheels of the trailer are just past the curb....then make a sharp right turn...this will turn the truck only. Once you straighten back out in the lane, the trailer will get pulled through the turn...and since the wheels of the trailer are now past the curb, there's nothing to accidentally jump the trailer over.
Outside rear view (OSRV) mirrors are your best friend for towing.
Also when towing, remember that most trailers have a wheel track width (i.e. the width of the axle, or the width from the outside of one tire to the other) that is wider than most full size trucks, so you always have to check your OSRV mirrors to make sure that you're not hanging over the adjacent lane.
Backing one is easier than most people think.
To keep the rig straight while backing, just follow the trailer with the steering wheel. Keep the wheel straight for the most part. If the trailer starts to wander left, turn left. If the trailer starts to wander to the right, turn right. Make small corrections...the trailer can get away from you really quick if you overcorrect.
To straighten out the rig at anytime, turn the truck in the same direction as the trailer is turned. Now if the trailer is turned too much, you will have to pull forward to straighten back out and start over. This is known as a "jackknife".
To turn the trailer while backing, you have to get the tow vehicle on the side of the tongue you want to turn the trailer in the direction of. In other words, to turn it right, you have to get the tow vehicle on the right side of the tongue. When turning a trailer while backing, you are basically "pushing" the tongue of the trailer in the opposite direction of the turn. By this I mean that while the rear of the trailer is turning right, the front of it is turning left. This being said, you have to first turn the truck to the left get the truck onto the right side of the tongue, so that you can push the tongue to the left, which will push the rear of the trailer to the right.
To straighten the rig back out while backing the trailer through a turn, turn the truck sharply back in the direction that the rear of the trailer is turned. If the trailer is turned right, turn the truck to the right as well and this will straighten your rig back out. When the truck is turned SHARPLY in the direction of the trailer, this will minimize (not completely eliminate, but minimize) any trailer turning movement and allow you to straighten just the truck out. If the trailer is turned too sharply in respect to the truck (i.e. jackknifed), you'll have to pull forward a little to straighten back out. While backing, the sharper you turn the truck the less trailer turning movement you will have.
To summarize:
1) The trailer is always one step behind the truck
2) The sharper you turn, the less turning movement you get out of the trailer while turning
3) Drive the trailer, not the truck. In other words...pay more attention to where the trailer is going. About 60% trailer/40% truck
4) Don't overthink it
5) When backing the trailer straight, use small corrections to keep the rig straight
6) When backing, always turn with the trailer to straighten it, and against it to turn it
7) And again, don't overthink it!!!
I hope this tutorial sheds a little light on the subject of trailering. Hopefully it will help to disspell any misconceptions you may have and show you just how easy it really is.

JetStalker
04-13-2007, 10:45 AM
To anyone who reads this...
This all sounds a bit complicated when you're reading it, but once you actually get out to drive a trailer...it will help immmensly! If he hadn't told me all this before I got behind the wheel, I would never have done as well as I did. Granted, I'm still a beginner, but for a newbie, I think I did pretty well. One of the main things, as he said, is don't over think it, and DON'T PANIC. If it starts to get away from you, just be calm, and correct it. If you overcorrect you can jackknife the trailer or god knows what else. Anyway, trust me...this will be a great help! ;) :D

Beer-30
04-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I am around 3 women that tow trailers. My wife being one of them. She does very well with the rig, and has just started using the mirrors. She was pulling the boat into a gas station, and the right side was gonna be tight with the front fender of a vehicle at a pump. I showed her how to watch the right side mirror and as long as she could see daylight between the two objects, she was fine. She got to see how mirrors help.
The other two I have never seen use a mirror. They both put their right arm on the seat, and turn around to back up the trailer. Then starts the questions. "How much room do I have on that side?" "How much room do I have on the other side".
Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors.

minimatt
04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Another little trick that my wife uses when backing is to put her hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Whatever direction she wants the trailer to go is the direction she moves her hand (turns the wheel). This works pretty well for her, especially when making small corrections in order to back up straight. This is may be one of those things you have to try in order to understand how it works.

Jetaholic
04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
This is maybe one of those things you have to try in order to understand how it works.
I fully agree with this statement. I can explain it to someone all day, but until they get behind the wheel and do it themselves and get a feel for it, they'll never know.
But the tutorial does in fact help...they may not understand it fully when they read it, but once they get behind the wheel and do it themselves, all of that stuff in the tutorial will come back to them.

Beer-30
04-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Another little trick that my wife uses when backing is to put her hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Whatever direction she wants the trailer to go is the direction she moves her hand (turns the wheel). This works pretty well for her, especially when making small corrections in order to back up straight. This is may be one of those things you have to try in order to understand how it works.
This is not limited to women, though. I know a few guys that my wife can easily out-drive. Forward OR backward.

Beer-30
04-13-2007, 02:50 PM
This was actually a suggested meathod in my dad's old '00 Silverado owners manual. Thought it sounded funny til I tried it. I could see how it makes it easier to use the mirrors by using this meathod.
It is two-fold. It does the "trailer goes where the hand goes" deal, but possibly more importantly - it keeps steering imput limited to that hand only. So many people want to start "wagging the dog" and turn lock-to-lock. "Small corrections" is what I tell the wife. By the time you go full lock, it is too late.

dumbandyoung
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
anyone have limo tint with a black trailer? Makes life suck when trying to back down the ramp an night with an empty trailer...or maybe i just need glasses? haha:D
One thing I was tought, Hold the bottom of the wheel when backing up, and point the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. It works great...I think I heard Bob Villia say it. :D

Jetaholic
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah that's the beginners way of doing it. However when I teach people to tow, I want them to develop the ability to "feel" it...in other words, doing it without even having to think about it. The bottom of the wheel technique I consider to be a "crutch".

YeLLowBoaT
05-09-2007, 05:53 PM
when backing down the ramp, put your hand on the bottum of the stiringwheel and turn it the way you want the trailer to go.

XtrmWakeborder
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
anyone have limo tint with a black trailer? Makes life suck when trying to back down the ramp an night with an empty trailer...or maybe i just need glasses? haha:D
One thing I was tought, Hold the bottom of the wheel when backing up, and point the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. It works great...I think I heard Bob Villia say it. :D
Haha night time? I can barely see during the day! I have to pop the back open to do it.

YeLLowBoaT
05-09-2007, 08:47 PM
no what sucks is when your towing a low profile boat in a lifted truck and you can't see the boat over the tailgate.

Jetaholic
05-10-2007, 12:45 AM
And that's what running lights are for. :D

dumbandyoung
05-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Using the bottom of the wheel isnt a crutch... I was taught how to drive and tow by a truck driver.;) Its a GREAT technique.. And Ive never hit anything.:D

epeagle
05-16-2007, 08:03 AM
the best advice i got for launching the boat was to watch the rear view mirrors...
when the boat was in the left mirror...point steering wheel towards that mirror..and vice versa.