PDA

View Full Version : Changing careers...After 20 years

Daytona100
04-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Well im finally hanging it up after 20 years in the auto industry. Its been a pretty good run but im tired of working commission and the constant ups and downs with little to no support. Both of my brothers work for ARCO refinery and have been trying to get me in for quite some time and with the current seperation from my wife I figured it was time to make a change. Im not one to take many chances probably why I stayed in the automotive field so long. But I think its time to try something else with retiremant and benefits for the last half of my life. Wish me luck and im anxious to get started in my new career.:D

BADBLOWN572
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Good luck!!! :) :) :)

andy01
04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Best of luck, it will probably be the best choice you ever made.

boatsnblondes
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Best of luck to you bro....it is the scariest thing..I know..I took it a step further last year, I changed jobs, houses, moved 500 miles north, and started all over. Very daunting....keep your brothers close, take a deep breath, you'll do fine....:D

Daytona100
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Im nervous and been studying non stop for a while but it,s gonna be worth it. Thanks Mike

CBadDad
04-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Good luck.
That's tough to do, but sounds like the time is right.

C-2
04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Damn dude, I'm like you. Ready to change after 20 years and a biz purchase of $300K - too damn hard to make money.
A regular, salaried job and regular paycheck sounds purdy good right about now :)
Good luck on it - sounds like your timing is perfect, plus you got the hookup.
Go for it!:)

ratso
04-13-2007, 09:46 AM
QUITTER! :D

RitcheyRch
04-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Good luck and keep us updated to your progress. Thankfully there are jobs out there. I was a little worried since was told my last day at my current job is Thurs, April 19th and already found another job that I start on Mon, Apr 30th that is closer to home and pays a tad more money.

3 daytona`s
04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Well im finally hanging it up after 20 years in the auto industry. Its been a pretty good run but im tired of working commission and the constant ups and downs with little to no support. Both of my brothers work for ARCO refinery and have been trying to get me in for quite some time and with the current seperation from my wife I figured it was time to make a change. Im not one to take many chances probably why I stayed in the automotive field so long. But I think its time to try something else with retiremant and benefits for the last half of my life. Wish me luck and im anxious to get started in my new career.:D
Will you be able to get us a deal on fuel.?:)

mobldj
04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
my dumbass brother in law works at arco in wilmington,almost 30 bucks an hour to fiddle with your dick all day long,good luck and hope you like rotating shifts.

Daytona100
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
my dumbass brother in law works at arco in wilmington,almost 30 bucks an hour to fiddle with your dick all day long,good luck and hope you like rotating shifts.
Yup thats what im told. First couple hours its coffee and bullshitting getting a plan together then it,s break time!!!!! I am used to working real hard so there might be an adjustment period. Unfortunatly no discounts on gas but there are bonuses at the end of the year!!!!!!!

syke-o
04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
they hiring????:D

Kachina26
04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
There is life beyond chasing a flag sheet! Congrats on the change, really weird being the new guy after being the guy that knew his chit.

Daytona100
04-13-2007, 08:24 PM
There is life beyond chasing a flag sheet! Congrats on the change, really weird being the new guy after being the guy that knew his chit.
I know you made the switch and I was impressed. And your right about chasing the flagsheet. Gets old real fast. Looking forward to learning new stuff. Thanks for the encouraging words.:D

JetBoatRich
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Good Luck on your second half of your life:D

BEER&WATER
04-13-2007, 10:05 PM
life is all about change . embrace it and you will do fine
good luck

trawfish
04-14-2007, 02:19 AM
I am rooting for you... I did this last year after almost twenty years and have to say it was very difficult and scarry but it's starting to pay off now.
Keep your eyes on the prize.....

boatnam2
04-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Yup thats what im told. First couple hours its coffee and bullshitting getting a plan together then it,s break time!!!!! I am used to working real hard so there might be an adjustment period. Unfortunatly no discounts on gas but there are bonuses at the end of the year!!!!!!!
really there is quite a few of us river guys that work at bp arco,when you starting?hope you dont go to the coker you can throw out that drink coffe and bullshit part.

boatnam2
04-14-2007, 04:07 AM
they hiring????:D
yep

Daytona100
04-14-2007, 05:13 AM
really there is quite a few of us river guys that work at bp arco,when you starting?hope you dont go to the coker you can throw out that drink coffe and bullshit part.
Going to the garage area. Maybe you know my Bro,s Daniel and Leo Neuenswander. Daniel,s an operater and Leo,s a machiniest.:D

Summer LuvN
04-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Are you changing careers or employers? You said your a mechanic now and your going to be working on cars for them right? Doesn't that mean you are still going to be a mechanic? What are you really changing? I think it's good-bye to the wife. I think you made the decision to stay in California after leading her on that you were joining her in Nevada. If you hadn't posted it on the net stupid her would still be thinking you guys were going to make it. It was really nice of her to leave with nothing but debt and leave you with the house, furniture, boat, etc. How many women do you think are out there like that??? I guess we know of one huh??? What a great second start you'll be getting. I don't think you need any luck I think you have already been gifted it..:(
Nice Boat, wasn't that a negotiation on her part with her family member? Do you think you would have it if it wasn't for her???

HavaSkank
04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Doh!

Havasu1986
04-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Are you changing careers or employers? You said your a mechanic now and your going to be working on cars for them right? Doesn't that mean you are still going to be a mechanic? What are you really changing? I think it's good-bye to the wife. I think you made the decision to stay in California after leading her on that you were joining her in Nevada. If you hadn't posted it on the net stupid her would still be thinking you guys were going to make it. It was really nice of her to leave with nothing but debt and leave you with the house, furniture, boat, etc. How many women do you think are out there like that??? I guess we know of one huh??? What a great second start you'll be getting. I don't think you need any luck I think you have already been gifted it..:(
Nice Boat, wasn't that a negotiation on her part with her family member? Do you think you would have it if it wasn't for her???
You know...theres always 2 sides to every story.:D

Summer LuvN
04-14-2007, 11:29 AM
one is very sad

mobldj
04-14-2007, 12:47 PM
and one is very happy in his boat.........

shockwaveharry
04-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Someone's got a hard on for ya, Daytona100... Your ex get on here much?

Daytona100
04-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Someone's got a hard on for ya, Daytona100... Your ex get on here much?
Look this was never supposed to become a pissing match between me and my wife. I am just trying to make the best of things with my current situation. For better for worse till death do us part doesnt mean when times get tough you bail to greener pastures. She,s more than welcome to come home and we get through this together. I have to do what I have to do. I will do what it takes to get my daughter through high school and watch her graduate. I love my wife and I hope everything works out. But I can,t turn my back on a killer opportunity.

SHOTKALLIN
04-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I guess you should have negotiated no use of the ***boat forums???:jawdrop:

Daytona100
04-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I guess you should have negotiated no use of the ***boat forums???:jawdrop:
This is the only forum I post on so im a easy target. Sorry for the drama.

boatnam2
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Going to the garage area. Maybe you know my Bro,s Daniel and Leo Neuenswander. Daniel,s an operater and Leo,s a machiniest.:D
yea i know leo pretty good he use to bring homemade burrito's in the morning.know of daniel.garage area that will be cool you will see our trucks all the time seem to get pretty thrashed.

boatnam2
04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Look this was never supposed to become a pissing match between me and my wife. I am just trying to make the best of things with my current situation. For better for worse till death do us part doesnt mean when times get tough you bail to greener pastures. She,s more than welcome to come home and we get through this together. I have to do what I have to do. I will do what it takes to get my daughter through high school and watch her graduate. I love my wife and I hope everything works out. But I can,t turn my back on a killer opportunity.
is your daughter at hemet high right now?my buddies kid is the big football stud there pat bishop.go bulldogs!

Daytona100
04-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Yup she,s a junior. Moms burritos are famous she,s fed alot of people. I have great family im pretty lucky. I,ll be staying at moms during the week and coming home on the weekends.

Summer LuvN
04-14-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm so sorry for doing this on ***boat, think of it as group therapy. First of all , I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART but you know I did not leave because of hard times, I left because of the kid situation. I cannot have a child disrespect me the way she was. I told you over and over and you did nothing about it, maybe you didn't realize how bad it was, I can't say. You say you would like for me to come home and work it out and I would love to do that, but you will not be there. You will be in torrance and your minor teenage daughter will be in hemet. I do not think she is responsible enough to leave behind due to her track record. I think she is better off with her mother. You can still see her graduate. I am angry because you have not been honest with me. When the lying starts the trust disappears and the relationship dies. I would love to work it out as well but I'm not sure how at this point....:confused:

boatnam2
04-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Yup she,s a junior. Moms burritos are famous she,s fed alot of people. I have great family im pretty lucky. I,ll be staying at moms during the week and coming home on the weekends.
ask her if she knows pat bishop!

Summer LuvN
04-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Any ideas anyone?????? We're talking a ten year relationship here....

charlyox
04-14-2007, 06:49 PM
You mean Leo the "PYRO"?

Daytona100
04-14-2007, 06:51 PM
You mean Leo the "PYRO"?
Thats my Bro!!!!!!!:D

Riverbass
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
We are looking for ride mech at Disneyland 4 days a week 10 hr a day, great river job. this is nothing like an auto mech 50k to 90k a year.
PM me for more info.

charlyox
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Know him.

MBlaster
04-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Back in the day one of my older buddys divorced over their teenage daughter's lack of parental teamwork in raising her. I'm sure there were other factors involved that I didn't know about. He was in town during the holidays and I asked him about his daughter. She's in her early 30's now, single, 5 kids, multiple fathers, 3 of them are teenagers. Not good.

shrek
04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Lots of river people at bp carson.......I worked in that refinery for several years.......ran the equipment rental yard there.........there are a bunch of good people that work there......
I made alot of life long friends while working there.....
If you are going to work in the garage, tell Marino that Matt said Hi.....you are a lucky guy to be working for him.
Shrek

charlyox
04-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Is Leo still staying with the folks?

mobldj
04-15-2007, 12:24 AM
tuff road to travel.got divorced because of my kids and the step mom,now that time has passed,kids are grown up and only call when they want money,but blood is thicker than water,probably a jealousy issue with the girl,doesnt want to share daddy and makes life miserable for the wife.wish you luck.

Daytona100
04-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Is Leo still staying with the folks?
Yea he,s still staying with the folks. My mom needs help and Leo keeps the old man in line. Mom is great and the old man has had a great run and doesn,t appreciant it.

fastprogasflat
04-15-2007, 02:29 AM
I've been there for 38 years and my son 14 years. A great job with a career. Paid for a lot of dragboat racing for 9 years.

Ultracrazy
04-15-2007, 03:00 AM
I'm so sorry for doing this on ***boat, think of it as group therapy. First of all , I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART but you know I did not leave because of hard times, I left because of the kid situation. I cannot have a child disrespect me the way she was. I told you over and over and you did nothing about it, maybe you didn't realize how bad it was, I can't say. You say you would like for me to come home and work it out and I would love to do that, but you will not be there. You will be in torrance and your minor teenage daughter will be in hemet. I do not think she is responsible enough to leave behind due to her track record. I think she is better off with her mother. You can still see her graduate. I am angry because you have not been honest with me. When the lying starts the trust disappears and the relationship dies. I would love to work it out as well but I'm not sure how at this point....:confused:
Not the greatest place for advise. Seek a trained professional. The only thing you'll get here is someone asking to see your picture for reference.........
Speaking of.........:D

centerhill condor
04-15-2007, 04:25 AM
popcorn anyone?

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Not the greatest place for advise. Seek a trained professional. The only thing you'll get here is someone asking to see your picture for reference.........
Thanks for the advise, I don't think it's going to happen. Hot boat is as professional as it gets...LOL !!! I need to quit thinking with my heart and start thinking with my head and I will do ok. Let me ask you a question, if YOU loved someone, would you lie to them, hide things from them and choose a career over them? It's pretty black and white huh?

dragboat
04-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Well put. Some friends of ours are going through this, tough deal. The dad has two women fighting for him, They both want to be FIRST in line and they both should be. Tough spot indeed. Find a professional......Thats still married!

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Heres the pic.... LOL !!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thumbs/Picture_129_1_.jpg

Havasu1986
04-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Heres the pic.... LOL !!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thumbs/Picture_129_1_.jpg
Nice picture of your golden retriever in your avatar. :) Whats the dogs name.

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Are you being facetious? Her name is Summer, go figure....

RiverBiaaatch69
04-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Any ideas anyone?????? We're talking a ten year relationship here....
CALL DOCTOR ****EN PHIL.. Dont post BULLSHIT DRAMA.
Seriously we dont want to know your business and frankly dont care.
Daytona100 is the coolest ****en guy and you left because you wanted to.
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY

riverroyal
04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
i hope it works out,your gonna be soooooooo bored it will kill you

Daytona100
04-15-2007, 10:21 AM
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
Wow, you just signed on to ***boat today, your first post and you know so much about my husband. I'm thinking your not from havasu and that you are the wellfare reject living in what use to be my house before I gave it away. Why don't you get a job and quit collecting our precious tax dollars and if you don't have anything positive to say, shut the f*** up!
Do you want to get nasty Mike? Now you have your wellfare tenants posting for you? I hope it is the wellfare tenant and not your daughter doing this, riverbiaaatch69. If it is your daughter sticking up for you she has changed alot. The 32 year old woman she's been hanging out with has taught her alot...69?? Is the truth hurting? Piss me off and you will sell the boat, the house, etc and pick up half the debt smart boy...

Phat Matt
04-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Chuck Norris eats beef jerky and craps gunpowder. Then, he uses that gunpowder to make a bullet, which he uses to kill a cow and make more beef jerky. Some people refer to this as the "Circle of Life.

HavaSkank
04-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I wondered why this teriyaki beef jerkey tasted like ass

Daytona100
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Chuck Norris eats beef jerky and craps gunpowder. Then, he uses that gunpowder to make a bullet, which he uses to kill a cow and make more beef jerky. Some people refer to this as the "Circle of Life.
You funny!!!!!!!

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the pm! Mike and I talked and we are going to give it a try. Neither of us wants to throw away ten years and we get along so well when its just us....
Oh and riverbiaaatch....... I'll have the last laugh. Mike was unable to call the utility companies so it looks like you'll have no power, gas, phone etc. Maybe you can get the tax payers to pay that for you too? LOL!!!!!:D

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I still love ya Daytona....;)

ULTRA26 # 1
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Best of luck. I changed carreers at 34 years old and it was the best move I ever made. Be confident
John M

ULTRA26 # 1
04-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the advise, I don't think it's going to happen. Hot boat is as professional as it gets...LOL !!! I need to quit thinking with my heart and start thinking with my head and I will do ok. Let me ask you a question, if YOU loved someone, would you lie to them, hide things from them and choose a career over them? It's pretty black and white huh?
Nothing in a relationship is black and white. It sounds like you have your mind made up but your heart is having trouble following. Rethinking this thing out, will do one of two things. 1. Make you very sure that you are making the right decision. or 2. cause the need for even more consideration of all of the issues. 10 years is a long time. No doubt during the 10 years, mistakes were made by both of you. If there is no more forgiveness available, then I think you have our answer. (or vise versa) Where a relationship is involved, thought from your heart and head are required. Proper balance being the key. Just my .02
John M

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Good luck with the career change. Sounds exciting!
I did it a couple of years ago. Best move I ever made. I love my job and the pay is a little better.

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Nothing in a relationship is black and white. It sounds like you have your mind made up but your heart is having trouble following. Rethinking this thing out, will do one of two things. 1. Make you very sure that you are making the right decision. or 2. cause the need for even more consideration of all of the issues. 10 years is a long time. No doubt during the 10 years, mistakes were made by both of you. If there is no more forgiveness available, then I think you have our answer. (or vise versa) Just my .02
John M
I love him with all my heart. We joke over who is going to push who in the wheelchair first. We get along so good when it's just us. It's always been the kids we disagree over, mine, his. We should have had one together for neutral ground.. The real ***boaters on this site have been wonderful and helpful. Got a referral for a couselor we're going to try:D

ULTRA26 # 1
04-15-2007, 01:34 PM
I love him with all my heart. We joke over who is going to push who in the wheelchair first. We get along so good when it's just us. It's always been the kids we disagree over, mine, his. We should have had one together for neutral ground.. The real ***boaters on this site have been wonderful and helpful. Got a referral for a couselor we're going to try:D
I kinda got that impression from your comments that you still cared deeply. Glad to hear you're giving it another chance. Learning how to deal with the kids should be something both of you can work through, and agree on.
Best of luck to both of you.
John M

Daytona100
04-15-2007, 02:02 PM
I kinda got that impression from your comments that you still cared deeply. Glad to hear you're giving it another chance. Learning how to deal with the kids should be something both of you can work through, and agree on.
Best of luck to both of you.
John M
Thank you for your advise and kind words. Mike

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I want to say thank you too!!! :D

charlyox
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Awww, come on you two. Kiss and make-up . It's obvious you have great feelings for each other. Someone pick up the phone already.

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
We already did:)

Devil's Advocate
04-15-2007, 02:34 PM
I know it's "drama" boat an all, but this is really not the place I'd be airing this kind of dirty laundry. I hope everything works out well for all involved but probably should be consulting someone more professional in a more private setting, IMO.
Do people think we're counselors and shit on here?:D

Havasu1986
04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I know it's "drama" boat an all, but this is really not the place I'd be airing this kind of dirty laundry. I hope everything works out well for all involved but probably should be consulting someone more professional in a more private setting, IMO.
Do people think we're counselors and shit on here?:D
Oh by the way... I need a boat biotch for the poker run D.A.:devil: :D

Devil's Advocate
04-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Oh by the way... I need a boat biotch for the poker run D.A.:devil: :D
Let me take a look and see if I can clear my schedule...
Ok, all clear.:D

Havasu1986
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
What about No Name:D

Devil's Advocate
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
What about No Name:D
Who?:D If he's "no name" how am I supposed to know who you're talking about?:D

Havasu1986
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Who?:D If he's "no name" how am I supposed to know who you're talking about?:D
Never mind request denied.:mad: You seem kinda HIGH maintence anyway.:D

Devil's Advocate
04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Never mind request denied.:mad: You seem kinda HIGH maintence anyway.:D
LOL..:D I'm focking wit ya.;) Ok so I'll take my high maintenance ass somewhere else.:D

Havasu1986
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
LOL..:D I'm focking wit ya.;) Ok so I'll take my high maintenance ass somewhere else.:D
Forgot about that part..Your re-hired:D

dragboat
04-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Thread Hijackers!:D :D

dragboat
04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
We already did:)
Just a little bump in a nice long drive.:) ;) :)

Devil's Advocate
04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Thread Hijackers!:D :D
I disgust myself.:D

BobbyB
04-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Congrats Brotha! Ops or Maintenance? If you come to my unit, no coffee breaks. But you might think you're a farking asphalt farmer! 'Washin' Down' is a term you'll be used to. Stop by 5-trap when you get in; we ALWAYs got coffee breaks goin down :D

BobbyB
04-16-2007, 12:56 AM
......couldn't pass the test, huh? :D . No worries, they made it easier, try again! :D
You got it right, though it's closer to 35 bucks an hour.......;)

boatnam2
04-16-2007, 04:02 AM
......couldn't pass the test, huh? :D . No worries, they made it easier, try again! :D
You got it right, though it's closer to 35 bucks an hour.......;)
i thought it was 37.fity!

Daytona100
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Congrats Brotha! Ops or Maintenance? If you come to my unit, no coffee breaks. But you might think you're a farking asphalt farmer! 'Washin' Down' is a term you'll be used to. Stop by 5-trap when you get in; we ALWAYs got coffee breaks goin down :D
Maintenance dept. First shift tomorrow at 5am. Visited the shop today to meet everyone and check out the new digs.:D

Summer LuvN
04-16-2007, 04:46 PM
5:00 am is pretty early for you Daytona. Doing those kind of hours I'm sure you'll be snoring through the night...LOL;)

Daytona100
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
5:00 am is pretty early for you Daytona. Doing those kind of hours I'm sure you'll be snoring through the night...LOL;)
5$$ should be worth it. LOL

BobbyB
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Maintenance dept. First shift tomorrow at 5am. Visited the shop today to meet everyone and check out the new digs.:D
Right on, you're gonna dig it. 4-10's and straight days (excluding turnarounds). See ya out there:rollside:

Daytona100
04-18-2007, 02:17 PM
this is some funny shiat, I'm mikes bro, I'm the one that fixes his pics and avatar etc.... Myself and Leo got Mike the job here, after the drama of the break-up we felt he needed a new view of life. I only know of one side and its pretty F'd up:rolleyes: He's gonna get his head together and see a few new options and make a CLEAR decision. I love the TWISTS and threats the ex gives, thats classic :rolleyes: Mike never made threats.... Like I said, Mikes decisions will be clear in the future:D

Summer LuvN
04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Daniel, we did not stick our nose in it when Penny filed for divorce.We stayed out of it and let you two work it out. Please give us the same respect. Yes, I said things out of anger. Lots of people do..:)

Daytona100
04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Right on, you're gonna dig it. 4-10's and straight days (excluding turnarounds). See ya out there:rollside:
Hey do you work at the coker and are you from Jersey. Leo says Hi!!! :D