PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Tutorial

Jetaholic
04-13-2007, 10:56 AM
How many of us guys out there have women who are afraid of pulling the trailer, launching/recovering the boat, etc etc? Or how many people out there just aren't yet trailer saavy?
I just posted a trailering crash course this morning in the tow rigs section. Highly recommended reading for anyone who wants to learn how to tow a trailer, but is too afraid to do it.
Here is the link.
Trailering Tutorial (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147097)

Powerquestboy
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I am proud to say my wife is better than most men when it comes to backing the trailer in the water. I let her tow in town, on the freeway it doesnt matter. In fact her only problem is she is soo good that she tends to back up a little fast sometimes and it makes me nervous. Its not Rocket Science so I will never understand why more people dont learn to do it or teach their wifes. Its always funny when some guy has to get out of his big lifted tough guy truck and let my little wife back his trailer into the water. It happens once or twice a summer when there is a scene on the ramp she will usually offer to help.

TahitiTiger
04-13-2007, 11:23 AM
sent a link to my wife. Problem with her is she doesn't like driving her own Bronco. So teaching her to back a 20' trailer is not easy. Although last year she started to learn to go forward with the trailer (launching the boat, and then parking the truck). Now I just need to teach her to back it up, without the constant over correcting.

Debbolas
04-13-2007, 11:31 AM
sent a link to my wife. Problem with her is she doesn't like driving her own Bronco. So teaching her to back a 20' trailer is not easy. Although last year she started to learn to go forward with the trailer (launching the boat, and then parking the truck). Now I just need to teach her to back it up, without the constant over correcting.
Just don't yell at her:D
Take her to an empty ramp and have her practice. Everyone can tell you how to do it, but until you try it and find your own little secret way(mine was putting the tailgate down) you will struggle....
Good Luck Mrs. Tahiti Tiger:D

Jetaholic
04-13-2007, 11:33 AM
The thing to remember when backing as well is once you have created even a very slight bend in the rig, the trailer will continue to turn with the truck straightened out until you turn the truck with the trailer.
That is one of the biggest issues is freaking out and overcorrecting while backing. Once she gets the feel of things though, eventually it will become second nature and she won't even think about it anymore.