PDA

View Full Version : Up-Down Pedal Gears

Costello
04-15-2002, 12:13 PM
A friend of mine is looking for the gears in an up-down pedal assembly. He says the unit is a Sunnyvale brand. I've never heard of Sunnyvale anything for marine equipment myself. Does anyone know anything about this outfit and where to get gears? I understand Bergeron will make some, but I thought maybe someone here knew something or had a unit like this for sale.

04-15-2002, 12:53 PM
He prob. has a Tri-Metric piece. I believe they were made in Sunnyvale.

Costello
04-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Now we're getting somewhere!! This guy is a good engine builder, has raced a boat for a few years, just not very descriptive in what he was looking for. Thanks 058.

04-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Costello, If its the same piece I'm thinking of the gears will always be a problem due to the leverage on the gear and housing from the left pedal, it has no support.

Costello
04-16-2002, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to get this hellcat to scrap the up pedal anyways, then you don't need the gears. 90% of guys racing flats don't even have an up pedal, just use enough spring so the plate doesn't suck back down. I called TriMetric and they "threw all that stuff away a few years ago". This guy has only raced a hydro, I'm trying to steer him in the direction of a better setup for his flat, but he says "it has two pedals, I want to use them". A little frustrating, but we'll get it figured out for him. I'll pass on your advice that it will be an ongoing problem and see if we can sway him. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

pgf127rt
04-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Costello, if he is running a bunch of HP the first time he hits the up he just might be looking for a saw, if he doesn't crash, I used the up on my Cole Comp. boat but in the Canyon they sawed it off, and I know why, you don't have time to switch pedals if the boat gets outa shape, or at least this old man didn't have time.

Costello
04-16-2002, 11:48 AM
That's exactly what I told him Joe Don, you won't have time to get out of the gas and or on the down when you're in trouble. He IS running a nasty 16:1 Enderle injected Brodix headed tunnel ram motor. It should make around 1000hp, and run 8.0's or so pretty easily. I think it cc'd out to 517ci or something like that. I'm going to pass on your advice to him.

V-Drive Tom
04-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Costello, Everything you guys are saying about this is right,YOU know it...I know it...Now get in there and convince him of it! Trying to use old parts that wern't a great design to begin with. OK ITS DECIDED!

04-16-2002, 01:03 PM
If God intended for us to have an up pedal he would have given us 3 legs.
[This message has been edited by 058 (edited April 16, 2002).]

Costello
04-16-2002, 02:24 PM
I think I'll print this thread so he can see what all of you guys had to say. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif 058, I like that bit o' wisdom!!!

pgf127rt
04-16-2002, 04:39 PM
Costello, just slip in there and saw the damn thing off, frame it, hang it on his wall and name it ass saver, because the up pedal is a killer with that much power, in my canyon I never lost contact with the plate, as things happen in miliseconds and they hurt forever when they go wrong.

126driver
04-17-2002, 06:37 AM
I use my up pedal all of the time. It's a comfortable place to rest my foot on when I'm waiting on the ramp. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

boat030
04-17-2002, 07:02 AM
Cos, Andy Dement made me a real nice pedal assembly with just one pedal for my canyon.It was alot smaller than the normal box but i think it still had an idler gear in it i never took it apart too look.
"If God intended for us to have an up pedal he would have given us 3 legs."
058, that is pretty good i think that should get painted on the dash of every first time flat racer.

04-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by boat030:
Cos, Andy Dement made me a real nice pedal assembly with just one pedal for my canyon.It was alot smaller than the normal box but i think it still had an idler gear in it i never took it apart too look.
"If God intended for us to have an up pedal he would have given us 3 legs."
058, that is pretty good i think that should get painted on the dash of every first time flat racer.Or they'll find soon enough that they don't want "that damn pedal"

WILDERTHANU
04-17-2002, 09:21 AM
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD MY TWO CENTS, THE "UP" PEDAL IS A THING OFF THE PAST FOR SURE. THE PLATE SHOULD NOT SUCK IF YOUR SET UP RIGHT "MORE SPRING". I THINK FOR THE OLD RACERS IT IS LIKE A COMFORT THING, BUT IF YOU GET HIGH OR OUT OF SHAPE, YOU HAVE MORE OF A CHANCE SLIPPING SHIFTING FOOTS, WHILE TRYING TO SAVE YOUR ASS! ! !

Stab-n-Steer
04-17-2002, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 058:
[B]If God intended for us to have an up pedal he would have given us 3 legs.
Hey Bob,
I have 3 legs... It's just that one in the middle is so damn short!
You going to Weaver's swap meet?
S&S

Costello
04-17-2002, 10:03 AM
030, I don't think he's down for having a new setup made because all of the hardware already has a schnazzy powdercoat job. I'm thinking he can use the same stringer mount box minus the "up", minus the 1 gear he's missing and be fine. Just need a nice little chrome snap plug to go where the up once was.

Costello
04-17-2002, 10:23 AM
Problem solved!! He just called me and I read him all of your input. He's going to just run the down. Good Job Fellas!!

pgf127rt
04-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Costello, that is good news, at least us old has beens and current racers are still some help to some of the newcomers, I remember one race at Marine Creek, where I was late on the tree, set the boat high, grabbed the up to do some flying and just about the spot where Jerry Davis crashed the War Party, the boat stood sraight up, to the point where my wrench David Key said he could have walked under the engine, and with some luck I got it down popped the pedal reset it and finished the run, very close to disaster but after that i tried to keep a tight rein on any flat.
[This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited April 17, 2002).]

PGF545
04-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Gary, Good Idea!!!!! I used to always use the up pedal until I got a good prop and then I almost ended up on my head in Pine Bluff Ark....Not a good thing. Actually in pine bluff I didn't even use the up just let the down go against the stop and BAM, it was on a killer run until then LOL. Tell your buddy to call me if he wants any pointers...I can tell him what not to do!!! Tell the family hi for me and talk to ya soon.
Bernie

Costello
04-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Hi Bernie,
Are you guys going to race this year, or are you now like Joe Don pgf545rt?

pgf127rt
04-19-2002, 04:45 PM
Cost, yep he has to change his handle & join the old fart's on the sidelines,or maybe he can be pgfsrt545, retirement isn't real bad until everyone starts going racing and you get an itch that needs to be scratched, old age and retirement sucks!

PGF545
04-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Hey Gary, Yeah it looks like I am going to have to put the ole RT behind the 545....lol. I really haven't missed it too much, but we haven't been to a race yet either. I have been real busy catching up things that have got neglected around the house from the past years of racing. I am trying to talk dad into teaming up with someone and letting them use some of our stuff just so that we could stay involved. I would like to help Gary Lindsey out a little...he is a great guy and I think that we could have him running really well in a hurry. Well I will talk to ya later....how come you aren't in Phoenix???

Costello
04-20-2002, 09:40 PM
Phoenix......Well you know about TAF 113 not having a driver other than Rex at NJBA, so we apparently are not running IHBA at all now. I have no intention of going to Bakersfield every month, so until there is some kind of stability in the drivers seat, I'm spectating. This daycruiser project kicked my financial ass, so I didn't want to go spectate Firebird. We will be at Red Bluff and Chowchilla. Why don't you come out to the V-Drive Regatta at the river and play Bernie? We will be there for sure. Come out on the cruiser all day, and then drop Moondust in for a little fun! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Tony and the GM Killer have their highly publicized race coming off there also.