PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires?

Boataholic
04-14-2007, 01:15 PM
what are the differences between trailer tires or can I just go out and buy some tires fore a passenger car?

jbone
04-14-2007, 01:18 PM
That depends on the weight and number of axles...and do you mind changing tires on the side of the road.
J

Boataholic
04-14-2007, 01:22 PM
double axle 24 foot cheetah.

sleekcraft78
04-14-2007, 01:30 PM
It matters. The side walls on a trailer tire are built different. More ply. I put a car tire on my toy hauler just to get it 10mi. down the road. It ran basicly flat the whole time. It held 35psi and all my others held 65.
It is not legal to run car tires on a trailer, so you may not even get a tire shop to mount them for you.

Baja Big Dog
04-14-2007, 06:04 PM
It matters. The side walls on a trailer tire are built different. More ply. I put a car tire on my toy hauler just to get it 10mi. down the road. It ran basicly flat the whole time. It held 35psi and all my others held 65.
It is not legal to run car tires on a trailer, so you may not even get a tire shop to mount them for you.
Huh!!! Tires are not made for cars and trailers. You must use a tire that is rated for the load you are running. I run radials on my flatbed the we haul 12 motorcycles and spares and tools and fuel etc. We had to junk the "trailer" tires that came on the trailer because they were junk, numerous blowouts. Went to radials (rated for the load 10k) at 70PSI and no problems, this thing goes to Cabo 4-5 times a year with no problems. Again, use a tire that is rated for the load, most trailers have cheap bias tires that run hot, and if the pressure drops a few pounds low they will grenade!!!