PDA

View Full Version : Carpets done!

Saab
04-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Hopefully I can finish up tommorow morning and be ready for powerfest!
what a pain trying to wire the stereo under the dash.... and for my first carpet job it came out good. Theres a few small spots I goofed, but over all i'm very happy with it
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/Picture013.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/Picture010.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/Picture008-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/Picture011.jpg

snake321
04-14-2007, 05:11 PM
you did a killer good job..

MudPumper
04-14-2007, 05:13 PM
good enough for Union Work. Looks great.

cave
04-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Nice job. You guys make it look easy. After taking to 396 I know "easy" it is not.

TahitiTiger
04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
very nice work :D where did you get your carpet?

Nucking futs
04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Whats powerfest? capet looks good. Nice job.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Nice job. You guys make it look easy. After taking to 396 I know "easy" it is not.
aint that the truth!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
Capet looks killer! Its not as easy as most think!

Saab
Got the carpet from lowes... was lucky and they had a reminent piece 6'x12' which was just the size I needed, set me back 12 bux :jawdrop: . power tour is what I was meant to say, not powerfest. the carpet took 5-6 hours to rip out and replace, it took me three weeks to get it to this point due to some glass repair and the stereo. But wasnt bad actually, I would do it again without thinking twice.

Big Kahunaa
04-14-2007, 06:20 PM
look's dam nice

b's sanger
04-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Looks great!

LuckyDaze
04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Looks b!tchen! Want to come help me do mine in about a week?? :D
~Brian

Commander21
04-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Killer job. I ordered a rool of carpet, glue and the damn trowel thing and its all been sittin in the garage for the last two years.

Xlration Marine
04-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Trowel, carpet glue??? No dude, wrong way. Get a cheep spray gun from harbor freight, 10 buck's. And buy the spray on glue, so much E Z R. Get the job done quicker and less elbo greese. It's the only way to fly. That is a good looking job. I used to do 5 sea rays a day, 23',24' and 25', and 500 blades a week. The carpet looks small when you unroll it, until you put it inside the boat.

Commander21
04-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Man, good thing I never started. Thanks for the pointers. I'll look into the gun. Didn't even know that was an option. Thanks!!

hallett72
04-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey guys you say you can get it at Lowes. But what kind are you buying there are tons of different types, industrial type, or more like short naped housing capret. Also what material nylon, polyester, ...etc. Sorry used to lay carpet in homes. I need some for my 78 Hallett. Also any laying technics would be appreciated...

TahitiTiger
04-17-2007, 11:22 AM
where do you get bulk sprayable carpet glue? I oopsed and used the wrong glue when I put my carpet in the first time :( . And your right trowling glue around sucks!

68_ROGERS
04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Very Nice!!

Saab
04-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey guys you say you can get it at Lowes. But what kind are you buying there are tons of different types, industrial type, or more like short naped housing capret. Also what material nylon, polyester, ...etc. Sorry used to lay carpet in homes. I need some for my 78 Hallett. Also any laying technics would be appreciated...
The stuff I got has a rubberized backing, when you go and look at lowes they have it marked as outdoor/marine carpet. Get the stuff that has the rubberized backing, believe they have it in black and grey. I dont know the part # but the main thing is the backing.... the stuff with the rubber back will not absorb water and mildew, the water will pool on top of it rather than soak in.

Bense468
04-17-2007, 01:15 PM
good job

hallett72
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
The stuff I got has a rubberized backing, when you go and look at lowes they have it marked as outdoor/marine carpet. Get the stuff that has the rubberized backing, believe they have it in black and grey. I dont know the part # but the main thing is the backing.... the stuff with the rubber back will not absorb water and mildew, the water will pool on top of it rather than soak in.
Hey thanks Saab for the info. Never would of thought a place like Lowes would have marine carpet. By the way your boat turned out great. I'll hopefully get mine in next month still removing the old. Also were could you get bulk spray adhesive?

Xlration Marine
04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh you can get a gallon of sprayable glue from Mesa Sales and Tempe Sales. Caution you can get stoned from it if you use it in an enclosed area.:idea: :idea:

Xlration Marine
Oh you can get a gallon of sprayable glue from Mesa Sales and Tempe Sales. Caution you can get stoned from it if you use it in an enclosed area.:idea: :idea:

Xlration Marine

Mr. Crusader 83
04-17-2007, 02:16 PM
I used that carpet once too. It doesnt last very long. It gets all fuzzy and starts to fall apart. Did you use spray glue or by the bucket? If you used the spray glue it wont hold very long after it gets wet. as you can tell I have done mine twice. But now after 6 years. it needs to be done again. F***n drinks cant hold onto their beers.:D

Mr. Crusader 83
04-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Thats one wat to bump your thread count. :D

Saab
04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Probably get the spray adhesive from lowes too. If not they can tell you where its available. I used liquid nails, only thing I didnt like was it was a bitch to get it off the carpet. I think it will be easier to remove too if I ever decide I dont want carpet or wanna re-do it. just my two cents.

Saab
04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I used that carpet once too. It doesnt last very long. It gets all fuzzy and starts to fall apart. Did you use spray glue or by the bucket? If you used the spray glue it wont hold very long after it gets wet. as you can tell I have done mine twice. But now after 6 years. it needs to be done again. F***n drinks cant hold onto their beers.:D
My main concern was the previous carpet was beyond gone and reminded me of a hairball my cat puked up!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/saabaroonie/nordic7.jpg
The carpet and glue cost me 50 bux, and I wanted to do the stereo and had to pull the sides to do that, so it was a pressure job. If it lasts me a season or two I will be more than happy, I want new seats so when those go in probably buy some better quality stuff.

hallett72
04-17-2007, 02:39 PM
heck you think that is bad i wish i had a pic of my carpet before i started to rip it out yours looks pretty good. i'm with you though if it last me a few years then i'm happy. I would just like to have it looking decent. I wouldn't expect carpet to last long anyways in constant water contact lets not talk about people spilling beer and soda.

Saab
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Yea its amazing... my boat is a 81 and it looked like a 70, now it looks like a 90. with 50 bux in carpet it made a big difference

Mr. Crusader 83
04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Yea its amazing... my boat is a 81 and it looked like a 70, now it looks like a 90. with 50 bux in carpet it made a big difference
Carpet does always make it look better. You did a good job. Just giving my .02 did you use the spray in glue though? The best stuff to use is the stuff from Mapei or Roberts or Armstrong it comes in a 2 gallon bucket and you have to use a float. But it holds great.

hallett72
04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
yeah well take a look at this 78 hallett that is my work in progress. Don't think i will make it for this season but definitly next sumer. I need alittle more then just new carpet!!!!

Saab
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I used liquid nails heavy duty. They have it in a bucket but I didnt see it until I was half way throught the job. It took about 12-15 tubes that were 2 bux a piece. I used a 6" putty knife that I cut grooves into about 1/4" wide by 1/4 tall. worked very good... slap it on smooth it out, wait 5 minutes for it too tack up a lil more and stick it. I had bought some carpet glue but it wasnt tacky enough for me to hold good on the stringers and grooves, so I just ended up using the LN.

CARLSON-JET
04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
If it lasts me a season or two I will be more than happy, I want new seats so when those go in probably buy some better quality stuff.
Carpet looks really good.
Good luck yanking that liquid nails up though. Imo it is best to use the least amount of glue you can get away with. Although I have not used the commercial spray application style glue it would seem to me that if used properly, one would get enough coverage to hold. But not to much so as to prevent the carpet from being torn back out. When I did mine I used a trowel, BUT, I used the smooth side as the surface was more then rough enough to get sufficient coverage. And again I've been troweling glue for 20 years so I'm pretty fast at it. I had all the supplies at hand so it cost me nothing but about 3 dollars in glue. I think I used about 2 qts for my whole job. I also just used spray tack for the area up in the gunnels as it never gets any real wear. again nice job and I hope it lasts longer then 1 or 2 years.

Xlration Marine
04-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Do not use the "spray glue" in the spray can. It is junk. Get the gold looking snot ripping head buzzing stuff in the gallon paint "style" can. Get a cheap syphon spray gun and don't try to spray a wide pattern, the chit will be like a cobweb all over the place.

TahitiTiger
04-17-2007, 03:43 PM
This is from when I did my carpet. you are right it makes a rather old looking boat look ten to twenty years younger :D. But as I mentioned before I used the wrong glue, and now the carpet has to come back out :( . Luckly I have plenty of extra carpet.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Qckslvr/Tahiti015.jpg

CARLSON-JET
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Xlration Marine;2506990]Do not use the "spray glue" in the spray can. It is junk. QUOTE]
What ever. Learn how to use a product before you make broad statements. ;)

Muldoon
04-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I used a 6" putty knife that I cut grooves into about 1/4" wide by 1/4 tall. worked very good... slap it on smooth it out, wait 5 minutes for it too tack up a lil more and stick it.
Do you spread it all over the floor or in long strips going all the way up? Can you lay all the glue down if you plan to do one section at a time. ie on either side of the stringers, up the center or the stringers themselves.
Lots of good info here. Thanks guys. I am trying to learn from your experiance. Hope to do my carpet as soon as the motor comes back next week!

Saab
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Do you spread it all over the floor or in long strips going all the way up? Can you lay all the glue down if you plan to do one section at a time. ie on either side of the stringers, up the center or the stringers themselves.
Lots of good info here. Thanks guys. I am trying to learn from your experiance. Hope to do my carpet as soon as the motor comes back next week!
I cover the entire area I'm gonna carpet, the more glue the better it will hold, or the more area the glue is on. The liquid nails starts to dry up pretty quick. I'd say after 10-15 minutes it pretty well done being worked. I did the sides and front first and left maybe an inch on the bottom that I glued to the floor so there wouldnt be a seam. One place I goofed was when I laid the floor I glued the left side down, then did the right. It looks great and you wouldnt really notice but the grooves in the carpet are straight on the left side and slanted a lil on the right. So this means when you actually lay the floor leave some excess in the front and cut it to match the bulkhead. I dont think it makes it look bad, or anyone would really notice it, but I know its there. I really liked the liquid nails cause its very tacky, and helped a lot to get the stringers to look sharp and the edges/ corners stick very good. Have fun and take your time most of all, I did the sides one day, bulkhead the next, and bottom another day.

Muldoon
04-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you! appreciated!