PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Break up Dog Fights?

Trailer Park Casanova
04-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Several times this past week we went to the big Campground laundry.
Next to it is a fenced dog run that's become popular with the scads of dog owners in the park.
Recently 2 big dogs went at it and the owners couldn't break it up.
Both dog owners got pretty bad bites in the melee too. Loud, fast, violent and brutal.
The owner would try to grab a dog and the other dog would bite them, lightning quick.
Damnnn, dog bites are vicious. Everyone, dogs and owners gonna need Frankenstein class sutures said the wifie.
I just happened to have some big swimming noodles on the golf cart, and let the owners wail on the dogs with them, and after more bites and blood, the dogs finally quit when they started seeing stars after having their bells rung deluxe.
Waddya ya do to break it up without needing stitches & closeures yourself, and if ya just don't happen to have noodles along?
This morning it happened again.
Took a spell to break it up, no waterhose to distract them with either.

riverroyal
04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
water works if you can find a hose,slim chance.Kick the shit out of the owner of the other dog so they dont come around anymore,that will work.:D

THOR
A swift kick in the sternum will do it. There is no way a dog can take a kick from a grown man.

Bow Tie Omega
Next to it is a fenced dog run that's become popular with the scads of dog owners in the park.
Both dog owners got pretty bad bites in the melee too. Loud, fast, violent and brutal.
The owner would try to grab a dog and the other dog would bite them, lightning quick.
Damnnn, dog bites are vicious. Everyone, dogs and owners gonna need Frankenstein class sutures said the wifie.
I just happened to have some big swimming noodles on the golf cart, and let the owners wail on the dogs with them, and after more bites and blood, the dogs finally quit when they started seeing stars after having their bells rung deluxe.
Waddya ya do to break it up without needing stitches & closeures yourself, and if ya just don't happen to have noodles along?
Took a spell to break it up, no hose to hammer them with either.
How about no more Dogs allowed.....I know, not realistic. How about mase (spelling???)? If 2 big dogs were going at it, I would not want to take part. A Cheap, inexpensive way to break the dogs up. Yes, it causes pain to the dogs, but so does them biting each other. Mase is alot less harmful. Just a thought.

Havasu1986
Dogs weren't on leachs :(

centerhill condor
04-15-2007, 09:59 AM
clearly an owner problem not a dog problem.

Bow Tie Omega
04-15-2007, 10:00 AM
A swift kick in the sternum will do it. There is no way a dog can take a kick from a grown man.
Brendellajet and I had a 165 pound brindle bull mastiff growing up named Holywood.......If you kicked him in the sternum full strength, he would turn, look at you, chuckle and then you would run for your life. He was great with kids, but hated strangers and our mom:D

jbone
04-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree. Don't take your dog to the off leash dog run if it is a fighter. Believe me, if you own a dog you know if it gets along with other dogs.
I used to be in the k-9 unit and have broken up some serious fights between some big shepherds. It can be done, but without obvious tools, o.c., water, impact weapons, etc, I have found the best way is each owner grabs the tail of their dog and pulls them back.
I can tell you this, if any dog bites me, he is getting choked out. Believe me, a dog chokes out pretty easy. Sure you take one bite, but that's it.
They hate being hit in the snout too, very sensitive area.
Bottom line though, agreesive dogs should not be off leash PERIOD!
J

jbone
04-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Brendellajet and I had a 165 pound brindle bull mastiff growing up named Holywood.......If you kicked him in the sternum full strength, he would turn, look at you, chuckle and then you would run for your life. He was great with kids, but hated strangers and our mom:D
Okay, now that dog may be a bit of a problem. But is that even really a dog?
Can you say Desert Eagle.:D
J

TheCarDudes
04-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I agree. Dogs react 90% instinctively and if they feel threatened (sp), they will attact. They just see it as no other choice. Attepmt to kill or I will be killed.
The owners should have them on leashes while there are other dogs around. If there is a dog already in the common area, the second owner entering said common area should give a courtesy heads up that he/she is enetering to let the first owner take control of their dog and put them on a leash. Hopefully, all the dogs/owners will be OK and learn a lesson that is centuries old. Leash laws are there for a reason.
Our dog, Dexter, is a mere 55lbs lab mix we got from the pound. He has been trained by me, basicaly to be a "good dog". He does not dish it out. But, he does not take $hit from any dog. We had a couple of pure labs in our cul-de-sac that the owners thought they had enough control to let them roam free. Dexter was always on a leash in a common public area, including in front of our house especially if there were other dogs around. These other dogs weighed well over 100 lbs. When the other dogs tried to jump Dexter, he retaliated, on his leash even, and kicked the crap out of the other dogs. He didn't attack to kill, he basically pinned them on their backs and looked them square in the eyes and said "not on my watch, brother". They never bothered him again. For some reason, Dexter has the ability to defend himself without doing harm. He is reaaly considered part of our family.

riverbound
04-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Each owner should grab the back legs of their dog and pull them away...the dogs will lose all stability when their back legs leave the ground. and they will stop fighting.

Tom Brown
04-15-2007, 10:23 AM
What if the dog isn't aggressive, just misunderstood?
Those aren't bites... they're teeth lined kisses of love.

Baja Big Dog
04-15-2007, 10:45 AM
The most famous dog owners three words.
HE DOESNT BITE!!!
Stop a dog fight, two words.....
SMITH & WESSON:mad:

Bow Tie Omega
04-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Okay, now that dog may be a bit of a problem. But is that even really a dog?
Can you say Desert Eagle.:D
J
We used to joke about a 12 gauge with a slug, not shot. He was the coolest dog I ever had. Never had one problem with him. He was a great dog. And I really thing he cared and worried about us kids. The little kids would ride him like a horse. We lived on 1 acre in Temecula when we had him and he just did not like adult strangers when we were not with him and he hated the landscape/maintenance guys. I would pay thousands for a dog like him again. I have found 10's of dogs that look like him, but with his temperment...........No such luck

soupersonic
04-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Hercules: The World's Biggest Dog Ever According to Guinness World Records.
Hercules was recently awarded the honorable distinction of
World's Biggest Dog by Guinness World Records. Hercules is an English Mastiff who has a 38-inch neck and weighs 282 pounds.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Big_dog.jpg

jbone
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Good lord!
Is that thing for real.:eek:
J

YeLLowBoaT
04-15-2007, 11:48 AM
If your dog ran up and attacked my dog, I would kill it. The dog has just proven itself to be aggressive... Impact weapon to the head or shot. If I see to random dogs going at it... I would let the owners take care of THIER dogs, if they made any aggressive moves torwards people tring to break up the fight... see above.
The only time I have ever let a dog off the leash is while hunting or if it got out of the back yard.

HavaSkank
04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Dogs weren't on leachs :(
I tether my dog with night crawlers in lieu of leaches.

Wheeler
04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
I thought the above pic of the Mastiff, was a product of, photo chop. After reading this thread, I did a search and found this info.
The Old English Mastiff is the LARGEST breed of dog in the world .
.They can weigh anywhere from 110 pounds to the 343 pounds. Zorba,an English mastiff ,held the world record of the world's largest dog. Although most Mastiff males weigh around 160-230 pounds and females around 120-190 pounds. The height of a mastiff can range from 25 inches at the shoulder to 36 inches .
The Irish Wolf Hound and Great Dane can be taller then the mastiff , but do not match the mastiff for weight and over all size .
The mastiff is also one of the most powerful dog in the world . My friends mastiff "Abraham " was the top weight pull dog in North America in 2004 "PULLING 7300 POUNDS

Wheeler
04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
If your dog ran up and attacked my dog, I would kill it. The dog has just proven itself to be aggressive... Impact weapon to the head or shot. If I see to random dogs going at it... I would let the owners take care of THIER dogs, if they made any aggressive moves torwards people tring to break up the fight... see above.
The only time I have ever let a dog off the leash is while hunting or if it got out of the back yard.
A .38 or .45 to the head of a Pit, might not do the trick.

MudPumper
04-15-2007, 12:18 PM
A .38 or .45 to the head of a Pit, might not do the trick.
Trust me, a .38 or a .45 to any part of a pit will **** it up. We hit an aggressive pit with a 40mm less lethal round (its a big foam bullet) right in the rib cage and that thing turned and hid under a porch for the next hour.
don't you guys watch Cesar??? Cant let the dog do anything until it is in a calm submissive state. :D

Kim Hanson
04-15-2007, 12:18 PM
World's Biggest Dog by Guinness World Records. Hercules is an English Mastiff who has a 38-inch neck and weighs 282 pounds.
That would eat me as an appetizer :D :D ..........( . )( . ).........Riding him to the beer store would be cool though, does he come with a saddle?..........:D

Tremor Girl
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Each owner should grab the back legs of their dog and pull them away...the dogs will lose all stability when their back legs leave the ground. and they will stop fighting.
DING DING DING!! Correct answer!

Wheeler
04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Trust me, a .38 or a .45 to any part of a pit will **** it up. We hit an aggressive pit with a 40mm less lethal round (its a big foam bullet) right in the rib cage and that thing turned and hid under a porch for the next hour.
don't you guys watch Cesar??? Cant let the dog do anything until it is in a calm submissive state. :D
Tell that, to the LA Co Sheriff, who lost his job, for shooting a pit (point blank)in the head, with his service revolver. The dog was found a couple days later, had received a concussion, but alive and well.

MudPumper
04-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Tell that, to the LA Co Sheriff, who lost his job, for shooting a pit (point blank)in the head, with his service revolver. The dog was found a couple days later, had received a concussion, but alive and well.
Why did he lose his job???

Baja Big Dog
04-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Gotta call bullshit!:mad:

Baja Big Dog
04-15-2007, 12:34 PM
HOLY CRAP...AND I MEAN CRAP!!!:D

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
That's scary! All this time I've been carrying a stick just in case there is a dog without an owner and a leash, maybe I should get some mace.....

YeLLowBoaT
04-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Mace is illegal. Pepper spray on the other hand is legal, ez to get and cheap... its what the postmen use on dogs... Its just not great for stoping attacking people.( in some cases...)

Bow Tie Omega
04-15-2007, 12:44 PM
HOLY CRAP...AND I MEAN CRAP!!!:D
ANd the Dog does not like Michael Waltrip either:D

Summer LuvN
04-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Pepper spray it is... I have to keep the hound safe!:)

vee-driven
04-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Screw it, let them go and bet on who wins.

Riomouse911
04-15-2007, 01:26 PM
We had a Belgian Sheepdog when I was in High School that was really aggressive with other male dogs. We purposely went to the leash-off places when they were deserted, and then cleared out as soon as someone brought a dog in. One time my Mom was in the leash-off dog park with him alone, and some other lady walked up with her dog. Mom asked her to hold on for a minute before letting her dog loose so she could leash up our mutt and leave. The other lady said something rude like "Don't you tell me what I can and can't do." gave a mean look and ignored Moms calls to wait until she could put him back on the leash. As soon as the dogs met it wasn't pretty, and Mom nealy got chomped trying to save that idiots dog from the grave. Then she was fit to be tied when chewing out the other lady for being an idiot. I remember the other lady sent in a beef with the animal control folks, and we had to quarantine the dog for a month after that. Needless to say we never went back.

Jbb
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Dogfight......Only one answer... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31vm3-BQRJU)

Xlration Marine
04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Cattle prod for the one that starts it. Ever see a bull get hit with a tazer, they go down, lol, and come up pissed. I think the vid is on metacafe.

Ken F
04-15-2007, 05:42 PM
The photo above is a photochop. See link below:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://vsm.cape.com/~trailbos/images/Hercules.jpg&imgrefurl=http://vsm.cape.com/~trailbos/Hercules.html&h=1194&w=640&sz=50&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=qTGw-0e9NOBplM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmastiff%2Bhercules%2B%26svnum%3D10%26 um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

Boa1277
04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
If the dogs are really going at it, one of them will get a really good hold and will not let go, the best thing you can do is just stay calm, until one of the dogs gets a good hold, if these are fighting dogs he will not let go period, if these are not fighting dogs, dont worry alls they are doing is growling barking nipping at each other and yes it does look scary as hell but I promise they are not doing much damage, lots of slashing type bites, but again no real damage, let them go at it until they get tired and usually one of them will quit. Now if they are fighting dogs you have a different situation, first of all one of them will wrestle around until he gets a good hold once he has his hold he will not let go period if you are alone you go up to the dog that is not in the hold he will either be barking or twisting trying to get out of the others grip, take a leash and make it a choke style leash and wrap it around his head, if you are going to get bit it will be by this dog so be carefull, now once you have the leash around his head, drag him over to a fence or something you can tie him up to, I guarantee you the other dog will still be holding on and you should not have to worry about him biting you. Ok once you have the one dog tied to the fence find your self a flat piece of wood, or anything you can wedge inbetween the dogs jaws toward the back of his molars, first you need to take a rope or leash and put it around his neck, once you wedge your parting stick or tool twist try not to damage the dog to much cause you can really hurt him, once he releases he will try like hell to get back but because the other dog is tied up you should be able to handle it from there. The main thing is stay calm it really looks alot scarier than it is. Good Luck I have done this a few times, the type of animals I own kennel accidents happen so I always have a parting stick handy..

Boatcop
04-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Throw in a cat.

racecar.hotshoe
04-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Throw in a cat.
or one of these...:D
http://spoiledrottendoggies.com/POMPOMPUP.jpg

Her454
04-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Throw in a cat.
ROTFLMAO! (And feeling guilty for laughing!):D

bigq
04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Throw in a cat.
ROFL, I love it..:D
Actually riverbound had it right. Even on a pitbull lock if you lift him up by the hind legs he will let as it looses balance. Of coarse be prepared for him turning around and latching onto you, trust me I know it hurts.;)
Had one pit also latch onto my Akita once on our walk. Luckily a motor cop was sitting on the corner and rode over, as Im yelling ..get it off...get it off!!!
Couple of hard blows on the spine and he went running. You could see the pitbulls spine just bent with each blow, had to hurt:eek:

Run_em_Hard
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
If the problem is the owner than there is two things I would do...if my dog was on a leash and theirs wasn't and started the attack, they better hope that I wasn't carrying a gun or a large object, if not I have legs and hands that would help my dog out:devil: .
Some people can get pretty protective of thier dogs and they become part of the family, I would risk serious injury to save my dog from it.

wsuwrhr
04-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Throw in a cat.
Probably only temporary though.
....but I like your thinking.

wsuwrhr
04-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Put this retarded dog near another female and she goes apeshit. No matter what the size.
Crazy bitches.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/mopar.jpg

wsuwrhr
04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/mopar1.jpg

EAZYKILLER2006
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Took a spell to break it up, no waterhose to distract them with either.
WATER:)

Magic34
04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I agree. Don't take your dog to the off leash dog run if it is a fighter. Believe me, if you own a dog you know if it gets along with other dogs.
I used to be in the k-9 unit and have broken up some serious fights between some big shepherds. It can be done, but without obvious tools, o.c., water, impact weapons, etc, I have found the best way is each owner grabs the tail of their dog and pulls them back.
I can tell you this, if any dog bites me, he is getting choked out. Believe me, a dog chokes out pretty easy. Sure you take one bite, but that's it.
They hate being hit in the snout too, very sensitive area.
J
I was going to say choke it out.
The only kind of dog that would freak me out doing that would be a pit. Those are just too damn strong. A good kick would be my next option.

bchbum
04-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I never tell people my dogs don't bite , I just say they havn't bite yet . I had one tree one of the workers digging our pool , he showed up 2 hours early . Lucky my wife came by the house after dropping the kids of.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-17-2007, 02:43 AM
That's not a dog, it's a really ugly-headed horse (as horse heads go).
I wanna see ya choke him out. lol :D
Pretty much the only SAFE way to break up a dog fight involves FIRE. Fire-HOSE or Fire-ARM, anything else is likely to get ya bitten.
Yes, dogs with an aggressive personality (all dogs really) should remain on leash whenever in public, because you just do not know what may happen and on-leash, you have some measure of controll over the animal.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Sounds like somebody's 9mm (I'm not a fan), or .38 special. :(
.45acp is a hammer, and it makes it thru skull-plate to the grey stuff inside, and keep right on going.