PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new boat and I need advice.

496mag
04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Well it was bound to happen, I have decided that getting beat up in the chop is no longer fun so its time to sell the 22' and get something else.
I run lake mead 90% of the time and it is not uncommon to get 3 and 4 foot chop so I am wondering what would be the best style hull, deep V or cat and what later model boats do you think I can find for 50K give or take?
To further decrease my options, I am looking for a top Speed of 65+ and I would love to have the 496HO (yes I know I want to have my cake and eat it too)
I have also heard that a deck boat like Magic can be bad on Lake Mead because it is prone to taking in water over the front in heavy chop. Any comments on this? I really like this boat but this concerns me and not only that but I don't think I will find one at my price point.
Thanks for chiming in on this.

Keith E. Sayre
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
A Deep V will do better in the nasty 3+ foot stuff than ANY cat of the same length. Smoother water, the cat will eat
the V's lunch in most cases, but I've been at Mead and seen 6' stuff. scary.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

beaverretriever
04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
How long are you looking for? What is your 22?
Not to spam you, but our 23 is for sale right here in Henderson. We boat on Mead all the time and have never had any problems. Does it ride as good as a 30 footer? No, but it does darn good. We have never been out where it wasn't fun on Mead or Havasu. If it is that windy we don't launch (either does anyone else)
It is in your price range, bitchen looking, holds 8 people and runs almost 65 with a small block so you get the killer gas mileage.
If you want to go for a test ride, let me know.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7771/cimg1579640x480zo8.jpg

496mag
04-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I just saw your boat on boattrader I think. Its a nice boat, any chance you be out on the lake Sunday?
I have a 22' Laser Boats Vision 35 to 18 degree semi V and it pounds hard. I will Launch up to 20mph at Mead I just don't like following the coast line to get to Sandy.

beaverretriever
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I just saw your boat on boattrader I think. Its a nice boat, any chance you be out on the lake Sunday?
I have a 22' Laser Boats Vision 35 to 18 degree semi V and it pounds hard. I will Launch up to 20mph at Mead I just don't like following the coast line to get to Sandy.
If it is for a test ride, I will put it in the water anytime. This Sunday may or may not happen. I have some friends in town and we have not decided what we are doing yet.
Honestly, I have never really got that beat up in our boat. It is a great hull and has been used by everyone (Ultra, DCB, Elim, Cobra, Lightning).
Feel free to contact me any time if you want to check it out at the house. Ask anyone on the forums that has seen it, and they will tell you how clean this thing is.

496mag
04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I am sure I have seen you at mead before. I am planning on going on Sunday but don't make a special trip if you are there I will see it then otherwise I am still checking into all the finances and details associated with getting into a new boat

beaverretriever
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Check your PMs. :)