PDA

View Full Version : a black man telling the truth

uselessgrant
04-16-2007, 06:48 AM
http://www.kansascity.com:80/159/story/66339.html this is a good read by a sport columnist in KC.

Old Texan
04-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Jason is a regular on ESPN's Sports Reporters Sunday Mornings. He has a real grasp on reality and tells it like it is.

78Eliminator
04-16-2007, 07:51 AM
That man has a set to write that. Good read.

Baja Big Dog
04-16-2007, 07:54 AM
To bad this is one the few places we will read this!!!:mad:

Jyruiz
04-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Very good read.

2Driver
04-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Good insight

Racey
04-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Aint that the truth.

OutCole'd
04-16-2007, 08:15 AM
I could not agree more with this guy, very well said!

Desert Rat
04-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Jesse and Al will have no comment because they would be asked why they will not address this issue in "their society" and they do not have an answer, beside that would be hard and there is no $$ in to for them

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 08:32 AM
You guys must not know any/very many black men personally. Although you do not know me, I said something very similiar here in response to one of the initial Imus posts. Unfortunately this guy is one of the few with both the forum and balls to tell it like it really is.

CARLSON-JET
04-16-2007, 09:19 AM
You guys must not know any/very many black men personally. Although you do not know me, I said something very similiar here in response to one of the initial Imus posts. Unfortunately this guy is one of the few with both the forum and balls to tell it like it really is.
77Woodbridge, If you had "15 minutes of fame" to address any issue, where would you begin? What issue do you find the most offensive or lacking in the public eye?

OutCole'd
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Honestly, I must have missed this post, if you can find it, please put it here for us to read.
Thanks

Baja Big Dog
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Huh!!!!:confused:

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
77Woodbridge, If you had "15 minutes of fame" to address any issue, where would you begin? What issue do you find the most offensive or lacking in the public eye?
Only 15 minutes...I'll post up in a few.:D

Havasu1986
04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Jason is a regular on ESPN's Sports Reporters Sunday Mornings. He has a real grasp on reality and tells it like it is.
Not anymore...I heard him on the radio say he was banned from ESPN.:(

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
If I had 15 minutes of the America’s undivided attention I would say the following:
1) I grew up poor by American standards (yep it was a toilet all around me):D . My father divorced my mom and us. Mom mother busted ass as a waitress and put herself and us through school to make our lives better. As a result I often found myself one of the few black kids/young adults in primarily white schools
2) When you see a young black man out, say at the sand bar…consider that maybe that kid is putting himself through school and just trying to enjoy spring break- just like the white kids
3) When you look at me don’t see a black man, see a father that busts ass everyday – well most days to provide a better life for his children than he had as a child
4) When you see a black man approaching you on the street do not assume something negative, refer to (3)
5) When you a black man with the trappings of wealth do not assume, drug dealer/criminal, entertainer or athlete, refer to (3)
6) No matter what I do for society, contribute as a citizen, some trailer park trash or Imus type can and will call me a nigger
7) That same trailer park trash can change clothes, wash his nasty ass, rent a car, concentrate on his diction and be welcome where I am not
8) Other black men can and will call me a Tom
9) You can not fight everyone that calls you a nigger or Tom
10) I believe that the best and worst days in America’s history were in the 1960’s – the best was the Civil Rights movement, the worst was the adoption of Civil Rights as the mantra of radical liberalism and the ensuing end of American Nationalism
11) I don’t believe that all white people believe I’m a nigger. For me to believe this would be to deny my success in an almost exclusively white culture…The culture of business.
12) Black people in America are largely sheep that follow whomever is appointed their leaders by the media – these so called leaders, Jesse and Rev. Al do nothing to point out that the enemy is the hip hop culture and lack of individual responsibility and not the white man trying to keep a brotha down
13) Black people that speak out about the root cause of why blacks fail to succeed in numbers proportionate to Whites and Hispanics are labeled Uncle Toms and dismissed as such and quickly loose the forum provided by the media
14) White men in America have the power to restore pride in America, the flag and all that’s good about America but instead choose to complain about so called entitlements and set asides. Do you vote, vote non-partisan
15) Rap music has grown to its current popularity due to primarily the support of white people
16) There should be censorship, freedom of speech is abused in political statements, music and the theatre
17) Burning the flag should get you a bullet to the head
About me: I have lived in several states and countries working as a computer network consultant. I have owned several successful and unsuccessful companies. I’ve worked since I was 10 years old cutting grass, shoveling snow, you name it. Currently VP of MIS of a local company. Proud veteran, United States Air Force, graduate of; Immaculate Conception, McQuaid Jesuit High, Columbia University, Hard Knock U and AA 12 steps. Father of 3. Separated and working on fixing my 16yr marriage.
~Victorian

SB
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that post, 77.
Funny that people think firing Imus would have any effect on racism. Or that people think using a certain "n" word makes you a racist, or that not using it means you're not one.
If that's all that's left for Jesse and Al to fight, they should find a new hobby, maybe join the green party or something.

SHOTKALLIN
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
If I had 15 minutes of the America’s undivided attention I would say the following:
1) I grew up poor by American standards (yep it was a toilet all around me):D . My father divorced my mom and us. Mom mother busted ass as a waitress and put herself and us through school to make our lives better. As a result I often found myself one of the few black kids/young adults in primarily white schools
2) When you see a young black man out, say at the sand bar…consider that maybe that kid is putting himself through school and just trying to enjoy spring break- just like the white kids
3) When you look at me don’t see a black man, see a father that busts ass everyday – well most days to provide a better life for his children than he had as a child
4) When you see a black man approaching you on the street do not assume something negative, refer to (3)
5) When you a black man with the trappings of wealth do not assume, drug dealer/criminal, entertainer or athlete, refer to (3)
6) No matter what I do for society, contribute as a citizen, some trailer park trash or Imus type can and will call me a nigger
7) That same trailer park trash can change clothes, wash his nasty ass, rent a car, concentrate on his diction and be welcome where I am not
10) I believe that the best and worst days in America’s history were in the 1960’s – the best was the Civil Rights movement, the worst was the adoption of Civil Rights as the mantra of radical liberalism and the ensuing end of American Nationalism
11) I don’t believe that all white people believe I’m a nigger. For me to believe this would be to deny my success in an almost exclusively white culture…The culture of business.
12) Black people in America are largely sheep that follow whomever is appointed their leaders by the media – these so called leaders, Jesse and Rev. Al do nothing to point out that the enemy is the hip hop culture and lack of individual responsibility and not the white man trying to keep a brotha down
13) Black people that speak out about the root cause of why blacks fail to succeed in numbers proportionate to Whites and Hispanics are labeled Uncle Toms and dismissed as such and quickly loose the forum provided by the media
14) White men in America have the power to restore pride in America, the flag and all that’s good about America but instead choose to complain about so called entitlements and set asides. Do you vote, vote non-partisan
15) Rap music has grown to its current popularity due to primarily the support of white people
16) There should be censorship, freedom of speech is abused in political statements, music and the theatre
About me: I have lived in several states and countries working as a computer network consultant. I have owned several successful and unsuccessful companies. I’ve worked since I was 10 years old cutting grass, shoveling snow, you name it. Currently VP of MIS of a local company. Proud veteran, United States Air Force, graduate of; Immaculate Conception, McQuaid Jesuit High, Columbia University, Hard Knock U and AA 12 steps. Father of 3. Separated and working on fixing my 16yr marriage.
~Victorian
Good post Tom!:D

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
good post Tom!:D
Thanks

OutCole'd
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Great post 77! Very well said. Two gold stars for you.:D

dragboat
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Take another 15 minutes at least 77Woodbridge. Its a pleasure to get to know you.

SHOTKALLIN
04-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Useless Grant thanks for the post.
Unfortunately I don't think Jason Whitlock has a large enough voice in society to make a difference.:mad: It's really sad when even someone as famous as Bill Cosby cant even get the black community to listen. Here in America There are alot of positive black people. We have a black Presidential candidate who actually stands a chance at getting the Democratic nomination. Its sad that blacks are arguing that he's not really black, doesn't know the struggle of being black, being the son of an African immigrant father and a white woman. Colin Powell is considered an Uncle Tom puppet for George W. Bush. Dr. Condi Rice is considered Auntie Tom. Oprah Winfrey is the most powerful woman in the media, and a self made billionaire. The black community has been given plenty of examples of how to be a success.
Instead a year and a half ago Jessie Jackson and Snoop Doggy were fighting to save Tookie Williams'(founder of the crips) life because he is a African American hero.:mad:

SHOTKALLIN
04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147298
This thread pissed me the fock off. Post #22, 24
I guess blacks will never be welcome?

Cole Trickle
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
~Victorian
Nice Post!
I would drink beer with you at the Sand Bar anyday!!!:)

CARLSON-JET
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
77Woodbridge, Thank you for the honest response. ;) I asked this question for a simple reason, most of the news driven dialogue is often not about real issues but of the Imus he said she said and reactionary knee jerk crap. There are alot of intelligent folks that get very little time to say what they think on broadcast forums without having some sort of negative event bring them to the limelight. I rarely hear anything about day to day thoughts/actions or about foward movement to really get the coverage needed to get real open dialogue/actions rolling.
I didn't see anything I disagree with and alot of what you wrote applies to many people.
I wrote a few paragraphs, but thought I would just absorb and ponder what your wrote a while longer. I will waite to see some other positive posts on the subject
Again, thank you for the great response. R.B.
p.s. Could you really fit that in 15 minutes? :D

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Case in point. WTF. Its like that Geico commercial with the caveman.
All you can do is call it when you see it, hope to change those that see things this way and keep it movin'.

SHOTKALLIN
04-16-2007, 02:43 PM
All you can do is call it when you see it, hope to change those that see things this way and keep it movin'.
That is the perfect analogy. The caveman and the therapist commercial.

CARLSON-JET
04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
77Woodbridge Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOTKALLIN
strange, I thought something similair on the pic in post #6.. sausage fest was secondary.. And of course post#22 bad timing? fraudian slip or just disrespect? :confused:

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
77Woodbridge, Thank you for the honest response. ;) I asked this question for a simple reason, most of the news driven dialogue is often not about real issues but of the Imus he said she said and reactionary knee jerk crap. There are alot of intelligent folks that get very little time to say what they think on broadcast forums without having some sort of negative event bring them to the limelight. I rarely hear anything about day to day thoughts/actions or about foward movement to really get the coverage needed to get real open dialogue/actions rolling.
I didn't see anything I disagree with and alot of what you wrote applies to many people.
I wrote a few paragraphs, but thought I would just absorb and ponder what your wrote a while longer. I will waite to see some other positive posts on the subject
Again, thank you for the great response. R.B.
p.s. Could you really fit that in 15 minutes? :D
Thanks

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice Post!
I would drink beer with you at the Sand Bar anyday!!!:)
I'll take you up on that some day.

77Woodbridge
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM
He has actully made several good post about it.
Thank you for postin up first Knuckle Head.

OutCole'd
04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I really don't think that's it. I just there are morons in every sector of life.

SHOTKALLIN
04-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I really don't think that's it. I just there are morons in every sector of life.
I'll be out there regardless.;)

OutCole'd
04-17-2007, 09:56 AM
I'll be out there regardless.;)
Rightly so, you and me both!

Desert Rat
04-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Great post 77!

Roaddogg 4040
04-17-2007, 07:41 PM
77... Thanks for post... Very well put thoughts...
Steve

Biglue
04-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Great post 77. My hat's off to you.
Some of that problem with minorities not advancing into "mainstream" society is that they don't go outside their/our comfort zones. For example thier neighborhoods and local cities. These places are filled with ill and negativy from either music and knucklehead athletes' influence. For just about all my life, I have lived in fairly diverse areas. Hispanic, Asian and Black folks. Truthfully Caucasians were the minority in numbers. I honestly don't care to label people with ethnic stereotypes in real life. I do however do it in humor with people whom I'm comfortable exchanging these types of jabs with. The way I see it is, there is animals in every race and flavor. Not only is there lames in every color, there is also week minded or uneducated individuals who will easily fall into the mindset of the Sharptons and Jacksons of the world. I also think that people tend to take the easy way out, especially so in minorities living in low income neighborhoods/cities. For example, many people justify "gangsta life" or "ghetto-fabulous" behavior and sometimes condone it simply because it's easier to live off of public aid or sell drugs than it is to get up for work every morning. Take the combination of justifying the above mentioned and lack of education and we have a perfect recipe for hosting people not concerend to exceed the norm in their surroundings. I have worked with people of throubled areas and the mentality is just ASTOUNDING. Mainly with Hispanics and Blacks. Their mentality is "why should I bust my ass, only to make this white dude more money?" Huge arrogance and ignorance. That mentility is a huge slap to the face of the ongoing building and improving of OUR AMERICA.
Just another minority person's two cents.

eliminatedsprinter
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Actually, rather than racism, I see a lot of wannabee, as in wish they (the posts authors) were urban cool, in the content of the writing in those 2 posts.

SHOTKALLIN
04-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Great post 77. My hat's off to you.
Some of that problem with minorities not advancing into "mainstream" society is that they don't go outside their/our comfort zones. For example thier neighborhoods and local cities. These places are filled with ill and negativy from either music and knucklehead athletes' influence. For just about all my life, I have lived in fairly diverse areas. Hispanic, Asian and Black folks. Truthfully Caucasians were the minority in numbers. I honestly don't care to label people with ethnic stereotypes in real life. I do however do it in humor with people whom I'm comfortable exchanging these types of jabs with. The way I see it is, there is animals in every race and flavor. Not only is there lames in every color, there is also week minded or uneducated individuals who will easily fall into the mindset of the Sharptons and Jacksons of the world. I also think that people tend to take the easy way out, especially so in minorities living in low income neighborhoods/cities. For example, many people justify "gangsta life" or "ghetto-fabulous" behavior and sometimes condone it simply because it's easier to live off of public aid or sell drugs than it is to get up for work every morning. Take the combination of justifying the above mentioned and lack of education and we have a perfect recipe for hosting people not concerend to exceed the norm in their surroundings. I have worked with people of throubled areas and the mentality is just ASTOUNDING. Mainly with Hispanics and Blacks. Their mentality is "why should I bust my ass, only to make this white dude more money?" Huge arrogance and ignorance. That mentility is a huge slap to the face of the ongoing building and improving of OUR AMERICA.
Just another minority person's two cents.
Smoking weed makes you content while living on welfare in a crappy ass neighborhood. This is a huge problem in the hood. "Life is focked up, but who cares this is some bomb ass weed! Puff Puff Give!" In the ghetto Mainstream = white. Its frowned upon to act "white" in the hood. These are just a couple issues that hold minorities back IMO.
just my .02

OCMerrill
04-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't think IMUS got fired directly because of his actions.
Indirectly...because of money leaving the show really freakin QUICK.
The two week suspension caused major advertiser pull out. His comments caused the same.
IMO it would have been better to have IMUS take only black business men callers for one week...IMUS ass would have really been sore and ratings would have shot up. A nice call from 77woodbridge would have set him straight and maybe even impact the country on getting a little better understanding of how Black people (outside the Rap-Bling deal) really feel. Americans just the same.
I think when the dust cleared there was not enough dollars left to make the show worth wile. So he was fired or better said the show was canned.
I watched his show on msnbc about 3 days a week. Some days it sucked some days it was excellent. I will miss it but oh well. He never appeared openly racist to me until I hersd that comment. He had to have made other comments though. You just dont come out of your shell at 65 freaking years old.