PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech shooting

framer1
04-16-2007, 09:13 AM
22 dead 21 wounded. Nice, does it ever end with these focking nut cases:mad:

hoolign
04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
22 dead 21 wounded. Nice, does it ever end with these focking nut cases:mad:
Not sure, but the answer will come out here!
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147351

NOTALENT
04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Death toll rises to 31 including the shooter....This is horrible.

STV_Keith
04-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Just goes to show that since everyone is required to be unarmed on school grounds, any nutjob has free reign. Just one armed CITIZEN could have quelled the whole mess. Instead, there are now 30+ dead SUBJECTS and 21+ more wounded SUBJECTS.
Take away the ability of the CITIZENS to protect themselves and they become SUBJECTS.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Just goes to show that since everyone is required to be unarmed on school grounds, any nutjob has free reign. Just one armed CITIZEN could have quelled the whole mess. Instead, there are now 30+ dead SUBJECTS and 21+ more wounded SUBJECTS.
Take away the ability of the CITIZENS to protect themselves and they become SUBJECTS.
Exactly. I agree completely Keith.
On the way home, on the radio, dead listing is now 33.
One wounded who called the police reported an Asian male, 20's, with an (didn't understand) color hat and black leather jacket.

msc5195
04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
First Off, CONDOLENCES TO ALL FAMILIES INVOLVED.
Keith, VERY WELL PUT!!!!
Now all the Democrats will be crying GUN BAN. This is partial proof that Good Law abiding American Citizens are having to pay the price for the decisions that all the left wing politicians make.
Just my 2¢

STV_Keith
04-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Now all the Democrats will be crying GUN BAN.
Exactly. We don't need any more bans...what they need is to strongly enforce the laws we have now. If you're a felon, no gun. Get caught with one, no slap on the wrist...back to the big house. No more plea bargaining with people who use weapons to commit crimes. If you make the criminals pay for what they do, the up-coming criminals may think about using other means.
Bottom line, if EVERYONE had the ability to carry a gun EVERYWHERE, that's way more deterrence than we have now. This guy had to know that he had basically no opposition in those classrooms. Just the ability to carry would have made him think differently.

Daddy_G
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
The problem goes so much deeper than that!
Too much "tolerance" not enough "parenting" in our society.
That's my 2 cents.

RiverToysJas
04-16-2007, 02:20 PM
This should cause an outcry to carry guns!!! Pilots, Teachers......and all law abiding citizens wishing to do so should be allowed to carry a firearm for personal protection. THAT is a crime deterrent!!!
RTJas

framer1
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Exactly. We don't need any more bans...what they need is to strongly enforce the laws we have now. If you're a felon, no gun. Get caught with one, no slap on the wrist...back to the big house. No more plea bargaining with people who use weapons to commit crimes. If you make the criminals pay for what they do, the up-coming criminals may think about using other means.
Bottom line, if EVERYONE had the ability to carry a gun EVERYWHERE, that's way more deterrence than we have now. This guy had to know that he had basically no opposition in those classrooms. Just the ability to carry would have made him think differently.
I'm thinking if everyone carry a gun we would have a real polite society.

Baja Big Dog
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Typical with every horrible situation like this, the press is scraping to fill the time they have to make sure they can say that they had the first, the best, the most coverage of a sick situation like this.
They are now dissecting the gun issue, they have had the third person that is a so called "expert" on guns explaining how the shooter can get away with shooting that many rounds....DAH focking DAH!!!
Pity the families of the victims............this shit just sucks!!!:mad:

RiverToysJas
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking if everyone carry a gun we would have a real polite society.
That's the beauty of it, it you're not polite, and like to cause trouble, the problem gets handled right away! And after awhile, the gene pool gets better too.... ;)
RTJas :D

barbigrl
04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I just got word of this......f*cking insane!! Gawd those poor poor people!! Peopld jumping off the 4th floor to save themselves!

Devil's Advocate
04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
:( Absolutely horrible. You just have to wonder how someone is able to do something like this and what must have been going through his mind.
Prayers to those poor families.

DILLIGAF
04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I am not going to comment on gun control or that type of stuff but I will tell you that he obviously was not thinking in any logical, sane way. I don't think he GAF about anything at the point when he started shooting.

STV_Keith
04-16-2007, 03:51 PM
It's like mutually assured destruction...if the other guy has equal firepower (or the possibility of such), then the decision would probably be to go elsewhere. Sure, he wasn't thinking rationally, but at some point, there had to be a decision of where to do his maniac spree. He didn't choose a police station.

RiverToysJas
04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
It's like mutually assured destruction...if the other guy has equal firepower (or the possibility of such), then the decision would probably be to go elsewhere. Sure, he wasn't thinking rationally, but at some point, there had to be a decision of where to do his maniac spree. He didn't choose a police station.
Exactly! ;)

Jbb
04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Very sad....:(

ratso
04-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Very well put Keith...

upsman105
04-16-2007, 08:06 PM
They do this because they are depressed and going to commit suicide anyways... This way they get everybody in the country talking about them, the press goes nuts. If you were gonna commit suicide, would you do it quietly by yourself, or have everybody in this country talking about it??? The press will make sure no one forgets his name for a long time. The first thing they did was compare it to Columbine, and talk about how the anniversary of that is just a few days away. I think the press is to blame also...
Just my .02.

MudPumper
04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
A perfect example of why we train in "Active Shooter Scenarios" and why I never leave home without my gun. My wife gives me shit sometimes and I always tell her, "It's because you never know when or where your going to need it." I called her today and siad, "See honey, another perfect example." It is a tragic incident. Not saying it could have been prevented but the carnage could have been minimized by just one person in the classroom who was packing.

vmjtc3
04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
A perfect example of why we train in "Active Shooter Scenarios" and why I never leave home without my gun. My wife gives me shit sometimes and I always tell her, "It's because you never know when or where your going to need it." I called her today and siad, "See honey, another perfect example." It is a tragic incident. Not saying it could have been prevented but the carnage could have been minimized by just one person in the classroom who was packing.
Amen brother. Never know who, when, or why. But I dont want to kick myself when I need it and it is not there.

cdog
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:Nltmp4mqZHMJ:www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php%3Frelyear%3D2007%26itemno%3D149+prohibit +students+from+carrying&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us
During the past few legislation sessions, legislation has been introduced to allow guns on college and university campuses. This year the “gun bill” affected higher education institutions as well as all state agencies. The bill would have allowed a person to carry a gun in any state agency. This was of particular concern for higher education institutions as it would have overridden our current policies that prohibit students from carrying firearms on campus. With the help of campus police officers from across the state, the bill was defeated in subcommittee.

lawbreaker2
04-17-2007, 05:23 AM
They do this because they are depressed and going to commit suicide anyways... This way they get everybody in the country talking about them, the press goes nuts. If you were gonna commit suicide, would you do it quietly by yourself, or have everybody in this country talking about it??? The press will make sure no one forgets his name for a long time. The first thing they did was compare it to Columbine, and talk about how the anniversary of that is just a few days away. I think the press is to blame also...
Just my .02.
Agree, plus, I was better than Columbine, I killed more, And then they go and lable it the worst in U.S. history, Now who and when will that be toped, so the next a$$hole, can get his name in the paper. I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

HavasuDreamin'
04-17-2007, 05:36 AM
I watched Dateline last night. That show pissed me off. The media is trying to blame the University for not getting the word out. How in the F*^k, do you get the word out in a matter of minutes to a 2,600 acre campus with the majority of kids living off campus??? It is easy to be an arm chair quarterback after the fact. THE MEDIA SUCKS! :mad:
The bottom line is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. This kid was either mentally insane, or someone failed to raise him properly.

framer1
04-17-2007, 06:54 AM
I watched Dateline last night. That show pissed me off. The media is trying to blame the University for not getting the word out. How in the F*^k, do you get the word out in a matter of minutes to a 2,600 acre campus with the majority of kids living off campus??? It is easy to be an arm chair quarterback after the fact. THE MEDIA SUCKS! :mad:
The bottom line is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. This kid was either mentally insane, or someone failed to raise him properly.
I heard the same thing, total BS. Campus security is not set to react to shootings like that, it more of a swat thing.

Jbb
04-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Not sure .....yes, Monday morning quarterbacks have a good view of the field.....BUT......I would have thought with a double murder on Campus......and no idea where the killer was.....they would have locked the place down and cancelled classes....on the assumption that the piece of shit was still in the area....:(

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 07:03 AM
They ID the shooter... he was a student, that was here on a resident alien deal from s korea.

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 07:07 AM
The fact of the mater is...Stupid people can and will obtain guns. People need to exercise their right to have firearms. Smart people use guns for self defense only. To conseal and carry a firearm does not make you a super hero or give you the right to put yourself in a situation were you will need your gun. It gives you the right to protect yourself, not the world. All I'm saying is that one person could have stopped the massacre if the shooter had to think of return fire. How about at least a simple can of mace? Nope can't have that on campus. It's all really sad! How long before a guy won't be able to go to work without some sh!t going down?
Anybody see "the office" 2 weeks ago?? Go Dwight!

uvindex
04-17-2007, 07:08 AM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_vatech_cho_070417_nr.jpg
"Law enforcement officials provided this official photo of Cho Seung-Hui,
the student they identified as the Virginia Tech killer. Cho was a 23-year-old
of Korean descent who lived on campus... developing." from ABC News.

MBlaster
04-17-2007, 07:25 AM
When they said the shooter was asian I told they guys at work he was probably Korean. I was right. Koreans love their guns. They own the local range and I know of a couple Korean ballers who have built huge underground ranges at their houses. Not to generalize but they are a big bunch of haters. And they are hated by all the other asians. The only people Koreans hate more are Koreans form the other side of their own border.

racecar.hotshoe
04-17-2007, 07:26 AM
CNN just said a 34th has now died......:confused:

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 07:28 AM
The fact of the mater is...Stupid people can and will obtain guns. People need to exercise their right to have firearms. Smart people use guns for self defense only. To conseal and carry a firearm does not make you a super hero or give you the right to put yourself in a situation were you will need your gun. It gives you the right to protect yourself, not the world. All I'm saying is that one person could have stopped the massacre if the shooter had to think of return fire. How about at least a simple can of mace? Nope can't have that on campus. It's all really sad! How long before a guy won't be able to go to work without some sh!t going down?
Anybody see "the office" 2 weeks ago?? Go Dwight!
virgina has some of the "losest" gun laws...
I am pretty big into "gun owners rights", but I don't think most people should be allowed to carry.( atleast concealed, on the hip is another thing that I won't get into) Most people lack the proper training, whats worse is most people think they don't need anytype of training to "defend themselfs". "I've shot for years, I know what I'm doing" ok :rolleyes: lots LE agencys are lacking in thier training( you know its bad when I've had more hours of weapons training in 1 day then atleast 2 agencys that I know of have had in 2 years...and before LEO bash me on this... ask yourself, how many hours of weapons training did you have this year...)
I would be willing to bet that most people that have a CCW permit don't even know all the laws and regulations that go along with it.

barbigrl
04-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Minutes?? It took the TWO HOURS TO SEND A FOCKING E-MAIL!!! AN E-MAIL! WTF??? I know when I was in class I was not reading my freakin e-mails!! ARe you kidding me??
Your dam right they have some explaining to do!!! They have loud speakers throughout campuses! Give me a break! The officials screwed up in my opinion! It could have been handled WAY differently. They had NO IDEA where the gunman had gone!

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm with you yellow boat! thats why i said smart people should have them. proper training is the key. it's kind of like a spare tire...most people don't know how to use them but can usally figure it out in a pinch. How about the mace? A student could have srayed him and used his gun on himself, and does happen without proper training. don't let your gun be seen unless it has a valid reason...An emergency or at the range!!!

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I know kids do "lockdown drills" in school now ( thats a bunch of shit that they need to practice for terrorists), don't you think this would have been a good time to lock down??

MBlaster
04-17-2007, 07:43 AM
I am pretty big into "gun owners rights", but I don't think most people should be allowed to carry.( atleast concealed, on the hip is another thing that I won't get into) Most people lack the proper training, whats worse is most people think they don't need anytype of training to "defend themselfs". "I've shot for years, I know what I'm doing" ok :rolleyes: lots LE agencys are lacking in thier training( you know its bad when I've had more hours of weapons training in 1 day then atleast 2 agencys that I know of have had in 2 years...and before LEO bash me on this... ask yourself, how many hours of weapons training did you have this year...)
I would be willing to bet that most people that have a CCW permit don't even know all the laws and regulations that go along with it.
There you go thinking...
LEO gets extensive training.
I had to spend a lot of hours at the range and in the classroom before I got my CCW.
I do agree that most people feel they don't need any type of firearms training to defend themselves.
Don't lump CCW holders in that category.
In fact you should be happy that good guy next to you at the mall might have a CCW and is carrying.

NOTALENT
04-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Minutes?? It took the TWO HOURS TO SEND A FOCKING E-MAIL!!! AN E-MAIL! WTF??? I know when I was in class I was not reading my freakin e-mails!! ARe you kidding me??
Your dam right they have some explaining to do!!! They have loud speakers throughout campuses! Give me a break! The officials screwed up in my opinion! It could have been handled WAY differently. They had NO IDEA where the gunman had gone!
It can go either way..I think they could have done more...ie; loudspeaker etc....that would have at least given everyone a fair chance to get away from him, but then again that would also cause a panic rush and people running to leave gives him more targets. They said they went knocking on the doors trying to get everyone to lock themselves in, but it was probably to late. They should have on campus police carrying guns.
Does anyone find it wierd that a Resident Alien was able to purchase a gun legitamitley? Dont know if he was temp or not, but fock this is what happens....

78Eliminator
04-17-2007, 07:53 AM
"To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them …" George Mason

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 08:06 AM
There you go thinking...
LEO gets extensive training.
I had to spend a lot of hours at the range and in the classroom before I got my CCW.
I do agree that most people feel they don't need any type of firearms training to defend themselves.
Don't lump CCW holders in that category.
In fact you should be happy that good guy next to you at the mall might have a CCW and is carrying.
Not in my county... you have to be giving the sheriff a BJ to get one( in the last 10 years they have only been issued to his family, friends and LEO or retired LEO)
as far as the 2 agencys I was mentioning... I have relatives in both... on has had 6 hours of weapons training in the last 2 years and the other has had 4 in the last 2 years...sounds like extensive training to me...
Note I said most, not all.
The training you need to get a CCW varries from county to county... some require as little as 4 hours other 16...

cdog
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Unless your politically connected or a hollyweird Ahole, you have to pass a firearm competency test and an federal background check.....I passed.:D

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Only 8 hours here, classroom and range time. That's about the same for my drivers license. How deadly are cars?? A little comon sense goes a long way!

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Only 8 hours here, classroom and range time. That's about the same for my drivers license. How deadly are cars?? A little comon sense goes a long way!
comon sense is not very comon.

boatsnblondes
04-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Here is what happened, the kid shoots two people at teh dorm and bales. No one knows where he went, much less which direction. LE says he's gone, won't be back, no problem the school stays open. To ME, I think it would have been prudent of teh school to lock down, cancel classes for the day. Not knowing where the guy was at all, it could not have hurt to do this...no email, no loudspeakers, shut the place down. lock everyone up for the day. Would it have helped? I think so.

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 08:29 AM
It would have given 32 people a chance to live!

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 08:31 AM
comon sense is not very comon.
They should start teaching that in school instead of most of the other shit they waste the day on!

barbigrl
04-17-2007, 09:01 AM
It can go either way..I think they could have done more...ie; loudspeaker etc....that would have at least given everyone a fair chance to get away from him, but then again that would also cause a panic rush and people running to leave gives him more targets. They said they went knocking on the doors trying to get everyone to lock themselves in, but it was probably to late. They should have on campus police carrying guns.
Does anyone find it wierd that a foreigners was able to purchase a gun legitamitley? Dont know if he was temp or not, but fock this is what happens....
I thought of this. But an E-mail TWO HOURS LATER??? Come on!! They should have locked that school down the minute they realized two people were dead and the gunmen was NO WHERE to be found. Common sense!
An e-mail.....that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard! If I was those parents....I would be freaking out with that administration and campus police.
We need to stop letting all these dam illegals over here in our schools.....yeah I know this is probably irrelevant to this issue.

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 09:04 AM
We need to stop letting all these dam illegals over here in our schools.....yeah I know this is probably irrelevant to this issue.
um he had a green card and had been in the states for 14 years( he was 23) so hes been here most of his life...

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 09:09 AM
They have to come here so they can commit crimes like this, because it is a free country and you can do what ever the hell you want and there is some slippery lawyer that will prove they didn't do it. what happens in korea?

topless
04-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Hind sight is 20/20 and for anyone to judge the situation is insane. Yes more could have been done but who would have known this crazy guy was on a rampage? NOBODY!!!!! You have to remember that this is not LA where they expect shit like this. This is a quiet college town where things like this are not expected or common. This is sad and very tragic and everyone involved will be in my thoughts and prayers.

squirtn20
04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Hind sight is 20/20 and for anyone to judge the situation is insane. Yes more could have been done but who would have known this crazy guy was on a rampage? NOBODY!!!!! You have to remember that this is not LA where they expect shit like this. This is a quiet college town where things like this are not expected or common. This is sad and very tragic and everyone involved will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Never let your gaurd down. There could have been many other things that happend.

RiverToysJas
04-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Never let your gaurd down. There could have been many other things that happend.
Very True....Let us never forget the words of our 16th President....
"At what point shall we expect the approach of danger? By what means shall we fortify against it?-- Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never!--All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years.
At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."
Abraham Lincoln - January 27, 1838
Even the tragic attacks of 9/11 came from people who lived and trained among us.
RTJas

RitcheyRch
04-17-2007, 11:12 AM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_107114752.html
The gunman suspected of carrying out the Virginia Tech massacre that left 33 people dead was identified Tuesday as an English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service.
News reports also said that he may have been taking medication for depression, that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic, and that he left a note in his dorm in which he railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.
Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old senior, arrived in the United States as boy from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in suburban Washington, D.C., officials said. He was living on campus in a different dorm from the one where Monday's bloodbath began.
Police and university officials offered no clues as to exactly what set him off on the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.
"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," school spokesman Larry Hincker said.
Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."
"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."
She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was. Rude refused to release any of his writings or his grades, citing privacy laws.
The Chicago Tribune reported on its Web site that he left a note in his dorm room that included a rambling list of grievances. Citing identified sources, the Tribune said he had recently shown troubling signs, including setting a fire in a dorm room and stalking some women.
ABC, citing law enforcement sources, reported that the note, several pages long, explains Cho's actions and says, "You caused me to do this."
Investigators believe Cho at some point had been taking medication for depression, the Tribune reported.
The rampage consisted of two attacks, more than two hours apart — first at a dormitory, where two people were killed, then inside a classroom building, where 31 people, including Cho, died after being locked inside, Virginia State Police said. Cho committed suicide; two guns were found in the classroom building.
Receipts found in the gunman's backpack allowed authorities to trace one of the two handguns used in the shootings, though the serial numbers for both weapons were wiped clean, CBS News reports. Cho carried a 9 mm handgun and a 22 mm handgun during the shootings, police said.
Cho held a green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent resident, federal officials said. That meant he was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of a felony.
Investigators stopped short of saying Cho carried out both attacks. But ballistics tests show one gun was used in both, Virginia State Police said.
And two law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho's fingerprints were found on the two guns used in the rampage. The serial numbers on the two weapons had been filed off, the officials said.
Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of the Virginia State Police, said it was reasonable to assume that Cho was the shooter in both attacks but that the link was not yet definitive. "There's no evidence of any accomplice at either event, but we're exploring the possibility," he said.
Officials said Cho graduated from a public high school in Chantilly, Va., in 2003. His family lived in an off-white, two-story townhouse in Centreville, Va., a Washington suburb.
"He was very quiet, always by himself," neighbor Abdul Shash said. Shash said Cho spent a lot of his free time playing basketball and would not respond if someone greeted him. He described the family as quiet.
Marshall Main, who lives across the street, said the family had lived in the townhouse for several years.
According to court records, Virginia Tech Police issued a speeding ticket to Cho on April 7 for going 44 mph in a 25 mph zone, and he had a court date set for May 23.
South Korea's Foreign Ministry expressed its condolences, and said South Korea hoped that the tragedy would not "stir up racial prejudice or confrontation."
"We are in shock beyond description," said Cho Byung-se, a ministry official handling North American affairs. "We convey deep condolences to victims, families and the American people."
A memorial service was planned for the victims Tuesday afternoon at the university, and President Bush planned to attend, the White House said. Gov. Tim Kaine was flying back to Virginia from Tokyo for the gathering.
Classes were canceled for the rest of the week.
Many students were leaving town quickly, lugging pillows, sleeping bags and backpacks down the sidewalks.
Jessie Ferguson, 19, a freshman from Arlington, left Newman Hall and headed for her car with tears streaming down her red cheeks.
"I'm still kind of shaky," she said. "I had to pump myself up just to kind of come out of the building. I was going to come out, but it took a little bit of 'OK, it's going to be all right. There's lots of cops around.'"
Although she wanted to be with friends, she wanted her family more. "I just don't want to be on campus," she said.
The first deadly attack was at the dormitory around 7:15 a.m., but some students said they didn't get their first warning about a danger on campus until two hours later, in an e-mail at 9:26 a.m. By then the second attack had begun.
Two students told NBC's "Today" show they were unaware of the dorm shooting when they walked into Norris Hall for a German class where the gunman later opened fire.
The victims in Norris Hall were found in four different classrooms and a stairwell, Flaherty said. Cho was found dead in one of those classrooms, he said.
Derek O'Dell, his arm in a cast after being shot, described a shooter who fired away in "eerily silence" with "no specific target — just taking out anybody he could."
After the gunman left the room, students could hear him shooting other people down the hall. O'Dell said he and other students barricaded the door so the shooter couldn't get back in — though he later tried.
"After he couldn't get the door open he tried shooting it open ... but the gunshots were blunted by the door," O'Dell said.
University President Charles Steger emphasized that the university closed off the dorm after the first attack. He said that before the e-mail was sent, the university began telephoning resident advisers in the dorms and sent people to knock on doors. Students were warned to stay inside and away from the windows.
"We can only make decisions based on the information you had at the time. You don't have hours to reflect on it," Steger said.
Steger spent Tuesday morning defending the delay in warning students about the gunman. Some students said their first warning came more than two hours after the first shooting, in an e-mail at 9:26 a.m. By then the second shooting had begun.
"I can understand the anger and the rage," Steger told CBS' The Early Show. But Steger added bluntly, "We believe we have acted appropriately."
Until Monday, the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard plowed his pickup truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.
Previously, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history was a rampage that took place in 1966 at the University of Texas at Austin, where Charles Whitman climbed the clock tower and opened fire with a rifle from the 28th-floor observation deck. He killed 16 people before he was shot to death by police.

STV_Keith
04-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Most people lack the proper training, whats worse is most people think they don't need anytype of training to "defend themselfs".
Ya know, that might be the case, but if concealed carry were allowed, at least the bad guy would have to think "I wonder if somone is going to shoot back?" Right now, they don't even consider it, since you can't carry on campus.
Most people out there are UI - unconsciously incompetent...they don't know what they don't know. Once you start some training, you become CI - consciously incompetent and see what it is you don't know...then with some training become CC - consciously competent; that is if you think about it, you are competent at dealing with the situation at hand.
It all comes down to training, you're right, but most people aren't going to spend a part time jobs' worth of hours to become CC.
However, some training is better than none. The ability to carry concealed should be better than not being able to carry concealed.
Not in my county... you have to be giving the sheriff a BJ to get one
And yet you still live there? Seems like it must not matter all that much to you.

Hal
04-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Looks like they missed the boat on this guy.
http://newsbloggers.aol.com/2007/04/17/cho-seung-huis-plays/

ratso
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_107114752.html
The gunman suspected of carrying out the Virginia Tech massacre that left 33 people dead was identified Tuesday as an English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service.
News reports also said that he may have been taking medication for depression, that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic, and that he left a note in his dorm in which he railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.
Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old senior, arrived in the United States as boy from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in suburban Washington, D.C., officials said. He was living on campus in a different dorm from the one where Monday's bloodbath began.
Police and university officials offered no clues as to exactly what set him off on the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.
"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," school spokesman Larry Hincker said.
Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."
"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."
She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was. Rude refused to release any of his writings or his grades, citing privacy laws.
The Chicago Tribune reported on its Web site that he left a note in his dorm room that included a rambling list of grievances. Citing identified sources, the Tribune said he had recently shown troubling signs, including setting a fire in a dorm room and stalking some women.
ABC, citing law enforcement sources, reported that the note, several pages long, explains Cho's actions and says, "You caused me to do this."
Investigators believe Cho at some point had been taking medication for depression, the Tribune reported.
The rampage consisted of two attacks, more than two hours apart — first at a dormitory, where two people were killed, then inside a classroom building, where 31 people, including Cho, died after being locked inside, Virginia State Police said. Cho committed suicide; two guns were found in the classroom building.
Receipts found in the gunman's backpack allowed authorities to trace one of the two handguns used in the shootings, though the serial numbers for both weapons were wiped clean, CBS News reports. Cho carried a 9 mm handgun and a 22 mm handgun during the shootings, police said.
Cho held a green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent resident, federal officials said. That meant he was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of a felony.
Investigators stopped short of saying Cho carried out both attacks. But ballistics tests show one gun was used in both, Virginia State Police said.
And two law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho's fingerprints were found on the two guns used in the rampage. The serial numbers on the two weapons had been filed off, the officials said.
Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of the Virginia State Police, said it was reasonable to assume that Cho was the shooter in both attacks but that the link was not yet definitive. "There's no evidence of any accomplice at either event, but we're exploring the possibility," he said.
Officials said Cho graduated from a public high school in Chantilly, Va., in 2003. His family lived in an off-white, two-story townhouse in Centreville, Va., a Washington suburb.
"He was very quiet, always by himself," neighbor Abdul Shash said. Shash said Cho spent a lot of his free time playing basketball and would not respond if someone greeted him. He described the family as quiet.
Marshall Main, who lives across the street, said the family had lived in the townhouse for several years.
According to court records, Virginia Tech Police issued a speeding ticket to Cho on April 7 for going 44 mph in a 25 mph zone, and he had a court date set for May 23.
South Korea's Foreign Ministry expressed its condolences, and said South Korea hoped that the tragedy would not "stir up racial prejudice or confrontation."
"We are in shock beyond description," said Cho Byung-se, a ministry official handling North American affairs. "We convey deep condolences to victims, families and the American people."
A memorial service was planned for the victims Tuesday afternoon at the university, and President Bush planned to attend, the White House said. Gov. Tim Kaine was flying back to Virginia from Tokyo for the gathering.
Classes were canceled for the rest of the week.
Many students were leaving town quickly, lugging pillows, sleeping bags and backpacks down the sidewalks.
Jessie Ferguson, 19, a freshman from Arlington, left Newman Hall and headed for her car with tears streaming down her red cheeks.
"I'm still kind of shaky," she said. "I had to pump myself up just to kind of come out of the building. I was going to come out, but it took a little bit of 'OK, it's going to be all right. There's lots of cops around.'"
Although she wanted to be with friends, she wanted her family more. "I just don't want to be on campus," she said.
The first deadly attack was at the dormitory around 7:15 a.m., but some students said they didn't get their first warning about a danger on campus until two hours later, in an e-mail at 9:26 a.m. By then the second attack had begun.
Two students told NBC's "Today" show they were unaware of the dorm shooting when they walked into Norris Hall for a German class where the gunman later opened fire.
The victims in Norris Hall were found in four different classrooms and a stairwell, Flaherty said. Cho was found dead in one of those classrooms, he said.
Derek O'Dell, his arm in a cast after being shot, described a shooter who fired away in "eerily silence" with "no specific target — just taking out anybody he could."
After the gunman left the room, students could hear him shooting other people down the hall. O'Dell said he and other students barricaded the door so the shooter couldn't get back in — though he later tried.
"After he couldn't get the door open he tried shooting it open ... but the gunshots were blunted by the door," O'Dell said.
University President Charles Steger emphasized that the university closed off the dorm after the first attack. He said that before the e-mail was sent, the university began telephoning resident advisers in the dorms and sent people to knock on doors. Students were warned to stay inside and away from the windows.
"We can only make decisions based on the information you had at the time. You don't have hours to reflect on it," Steger said.
Steger spent Tuesday morning defending the delay in warning students about the gunman. Some students said their first warning came more than two hours after the first shooting, in an e-mail at 9:26 a.m. By then the second shooting had begun.
"I can understand the anger and the rage," Steger told CBS' The Early Show. But Steger added bluntly, "We believe we have acted appropriately."
Until Monday, the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard plowed his pickup truck into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.
Previously, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history was a rampage that took place in 1966 at the University of Texas at Austin, where Charles Whitman climbed the clock tower and opened fire with a rifle from the 28th-floor observation deck. He killed 16 people before he was shot to death by police.
Dang, I almost forgot about those...:jawdrop:

YeLLowBoaT
04-17-2007, 02:09 PM
.And yet you still live there? Seems like it must not matter all that much to you.
I'm not in this county by choice...beleave me sac county is fooked up, ( on just about every thing it seems) I'm at my current location do to lots of factors, that go from housing cost, to great schools and lots inbetween. I've already bought some land out of sate that i plan to build house on. Until I can afford to do so... I'm stuck.

Seadog
04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Anyone thinks that they should have detected that he would do something like this, is delusional. Two experts on mental disorders were interviewed by NPS. Both of them stated that there is no way you can tell the difference between a potential killer and a adolescent with a violent and vivid imagination. If we were to lock them up, half the kids in the world would be under arrest.
As for the lack of warning, the accusations are BS. The implications of the original attack could not have been known. The normal situation would be to secure the scene and hunt for the gunman. They were looking for someone that would be on the run or would commit suicide. Mass murder is not anything that can be predicted.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Quite true SD.

squirtn20
04-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Anyone thinks that they should have detected that he would do something like this, is delusional. Two experts on mental disorders were interviewed by NPS. Both of them stated that there is no way you can tell the difference between a potential killer and a adolescent with a violent and vivid imagination. If we were to lock them up, half the kids in the world would be under arrest.
As for the lack of warning, the accusations are BS. The implications of the original attack could not have been known. The normal situation would be to secure the scene and hunt for the gunman. They were looking for someone that would be on the run or would commit suicide. Mass murder is not anything that can be predicted.
You are right sd. you can't plan for a mass murder, you never know what kind of idiots are out there. If we locked everyone up the general population would be that of half. Terrorist can shoot people, fly plans into buildings, hi-jack cruise ships, car bombs, mass poisionings, whatever it may be there are and will be many more people that will cause harm to other people because they are spineless little boys who are making a last atempt to be somebody in life. Unfortunatly this is the only way for somebody that is worth nothing. It will only get worse with more people in the world. A bomb falling out of the sky a a bunch of thugs jumping your ass in a dark alley, DON'T EVER LET YOUR GAURD DOWN!!

squirtn20
04-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Yep, 1:00 today - Bomb threat at u of Minnesota. What the hell??

STV_Keith
04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
In that regard, I heard VT had a bomb thread this morning too.

Jbb
04-18-2007, 01:59 PM
The killers writings.. (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0417071vtech1.html)

SmokinLowriderSS
04-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Shooter apparently mailed a parcel to NBC New York Offices, in between shootings.
Word is a Video or DVD, digital pictures, and text, a letter or something. Heard at 4PM on the way home.

topless
04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.tmz.com/
Watch the video here

RiverDave
04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.tmz.com/
Watch the video here
Is that edited by TMZ? or is that what the killer sent?
RD

topless
04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Is that edited by TMZ? or is that what the killer sent?
RDI don't think it's the whole video but it was also on NBC.

RitcheyRch
04-18-2007, 04:36 PM
I heard that as well.
Shooter apparently mailed a parcel to NBC New York Offices, in between shootings.
Word is a Video or DVD, digital pictures, and text, a letter or something. Heard at 4PM on the way home.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-18-2007, 05:23 PM
There was, is (she is alive and unharmed) a Senior, at Virginia Tech, Monday, when the shootings occured, who was present, in the cafateria, 8 years ago, as a Freshman, at Columbine High School, the day the shootings occured, who excaped uninjured there as well.
Regina Rohde (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18173672/)

uvindex
04-18-2007, 06:18 PM
The pictures from his "manifesto" are something else. Yikes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Axis_of_Weasel/Image106.jpg

STV_Keith
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
There was, is (she is alive and unharmed) a Senior, at Virginia Tech, Monday, when the shootings occured, who was present, in the cafateria, 8 years ago, as a Freshman, at Columbine High School, the day the shootings occured, who excaped uninjured there as well.
Regina Rohde (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18173672/)
Talk about a problem magnet...that chick will never get a date again now.

MBlaster
04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Axis_of_Weasel/Image106.jpg
Proof that good citizens should always pack.

RitcheyRch
04-19-2007, 04:54 AM
One creepy looking mofo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Axis_of_Weasel/Image106.jpg[/QUOTE]

squirtn20
04-19-2007, 05:03 AM
NBC gave him the fame he was looking for!! His plan worked perfect!! I'm sure the parents wanted to see the last sight their children saw. But hey, anything for ratings.

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Saw this editorial posted on another site:
On Monday, as the news of the Virginia Tech shootings was unfolding, I went into my advanced constitutional law seminar to find one of my students upset. My student, Tara Wyllie, has a permit to carry a gun in Tennessee, but she isn't allowed to have a weapon on campus. That left her feeling unsafe. "Why couldn't we meet off campus today?" she asked.
Virginia Tech graduate student Bradford Wiles also has a permit to carry a gun, in Virginia. But on the day of the shootings, he would have been unarmed for the same reason: Like the University of Tennessee, where I teach, Virginia Tech bans guns on campus.
In The Roanoke Times last year - after another campus incident, when a dangerous escaped inmate was roaming the campus - Wiles wrote that, when his class was evacuated, "Of all of the emotions and thoughts that were running through my head that morning, the most overwhelming one was of helplessness. That feeling of helplessness has been difficult to reconcile because I knew I would have been safer with a proper means to defend myself."
Wiles reported that when he told a professor how he felt, the professor responded that she would have felt safer if he had had a gun, too.
What's more, she would have been safer. That's how I feel about my student (one of a few I know who have gun carry permits), as well. She's a responsible adult; I trust her not to use her gun improperly, and if something bad happened, I'd want her to be armed because I trust her to respond appropriately, making the rest of us safer.
Virginia Tech doesn't have that kind of trust in its students (or its faculty, for that matter). Neither does the University of Tennessee. Both think that by making their campuses "gun-free," they'll make people safer, when in fact they're only disarming the people who follow rules, law-abiding people who are no danger at all.
This merely ensures that the murderers have a free hand. If there were more responsible, armed people on campuses, mass murder would be harder.
In fact, some mass shootings have been stopped by armed citizens. Though press accounts downplayed it, the 2002 shooting at Appalachian Law School was stopped when a student retrieved a gun from his car and confronted the shooter. Likewise, Pearl, Miss., school shooter Luke Woodham was stopped when the school's vice principal took a .45 from his truck and ran to the scene. In February's Utah mall shooting, it was an off-duty police officer who happened to be on the scene and carrying a gun.
Police can't be everywhere, and as incidents from Columbine to Virginia Tech demonstrate, by the time they show up at a mass shooting, it's usually too late. On the other hand, one group of people is, by definition, always on the scene: the victims. Only if they're armed, they may wind up not being victims at all.
"Gun-free zones" are premised on a fantasy: That murderers will follow rules, and that people like my student, or Bradford Wiles, are a greater danger to those around them than crazed killers like Cho Seung-hui. That's an insult. Sometimes, it's a deadly one.