PDA

View Full Version : Russian SU 30 video

spectras only
04-16-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv
Russian SU-30- Vectored Thrust with Canards
As you watch this airplane, look at the canards moving along side of, and just below the canopy rail.
This is a video of an in-flight demonstration flown by the Russian SU-30MK fighter aircraft. You'll not believe what you are about to see.
The fighter can stall from high speed, stopping in less than a second. Then it demonstrates an ability to descend tail first without causing a compressor stall. It can also recover from a flat spin in less than a minute. These capabilities don't exist in any other aircraft in the world today.
Take a look at the video with the sound up. This aircraft is of concern to U.S. and NATO planners. We don't know which nations will soon be flying the SU -30MK,

RitcheyRch
04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Awesome.

Jbb
04-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Each new Russian Superfighter impresses me more than the last.....with it's ability to slam into the crowd at an airshow.......:rolleyes:

ACEB36TC
04-16-2007, 12:03 PM
You May Be Right. Pretty Unique Flight Profile. If My Bonanza Could Do That I`d Probably Puke. Then Laugh.

spectras only
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Each new Russian Superfighter impresses me more than the last.....with it's ability to slam into the crowd at an airshow.......:rolleyes:
JBB , the pilot of that doomed aircraft had way too many Smirnoff's the night before ;) .

lewiville
04-16-2007, 12:13 PM
do you get a new pilot ever time that happens?

sponger_2
04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
pretty bad a$$, but it would still get handled by the raptor. the jet can only track 1 enemy at a time, and the raptor i think like 16 enemys. its over before it starts.

Trash
04-16-2007, 07:22 PM
It is impressive to watch an aircraft maneuver like that, but it is not completely unique in some of it's abilities and the tactical application is not as broad as one might think.
The fighter can stall from high speed, stopping in less than a second. Then it demonstrates an ability to descend tail first without causing a compressor stall. It can also recover from a flat spin in less than a minute. These capabilities don't exist in any other aircraft in the world today.
These three capabilities are described using a liberal dose of prose. The aircraft does not stop from a high speed in less than a second. It does however have the ability to pitch nose up and sustain it in the low speed regime. My guess is it's in the sub-200 KIAS range during that maneuver. Laws of physics would preclude any vehicle from even 100 KIAS to "zero" in 1 second and have any human passenger survive or remain functional.
Recovering from a 'flat spin' or any other spin in less than a minute is not a unique capability. True some aircraft are not recoverable from certain spins. Many aircraft recover in seconds or even fractions of a second, including many jet aircraft. Nearly any aircraft that has spun continuously for a minute is most likely doomed as the rates of decent are usually quite high and ground contact would have already occurred.
Tail-sliding in an aircraft (jet engine fighter to be specific) is also not a unique capability. Many can do it without causing compressor stalls, but each type does have it's own sensitivity to throttle position and the affinity to get a compressor stall. This aircraft does have an uncanny ability to recover from that slide sooner than most other aircraft due mostly to advances in control surface design, control laws, computing power and vectored thrust so the aircraft can overcome inertial moments when below airspeeds where the normal aerodynamic control surfaces are effective.
Regardless it is enjoyable watching this type of maneuvering and it takes exceptional confidence in your equipment to do these maneuvers in the low altitude regime.

Brian
04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Looks like a nice big fat seeker target just lumbering around slowly like that. :D

busterbox
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Pretty awesome video! However, one F/A-22 Raptor would take that plane along with 10 of his buddies out of the sky without them even knowing that he was in their air space! Blindfolded!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Mardonzi
04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I thought he said vectored thrust with canatards,,, my bad.
sukhoi sure has built some pretty planes in the past.....

Jbb
04-17-2007, 02:30 AM
It is impressive to watch an aircraft maneuver like that, but it is not completely unique in some of it's abilities and the tactical application is not as broad as one might think.
These three capabilities are described using a liberal dose of prose. The aircraft does not stop from a high speed in less than a second. It does however have the ability to pitch nose up and sustain it in the low speed regime. My guess is it's in the sub-200 KIAS range during that maneuver. Laws of physics would preclude any vehicle from even 100 KIAS to "zero" in 1 second and have any human passenger survive or remain functional.
Recovering from a 'flat spin' or any other spin in less than a minute is not a unique capability. True some aircraft are not recoverable from certain spins. Many aircraft recover in seconds or even fractions of a second, including many jet aircraft. Nearly any aircraft that has spun continuously for a minute is most likely doomed as the rates of decent are usually quite high and ground contact would have already occurred.
Tail-sliding in an aircraft (jet engine fighter to be specific) is also not a unique capability. Many can do it without causing compressor stalls, but each type does have it's own sensitivity to throttle position and the affinity to get a compressor stall. This aircraft does have an uncanny ability to recover from that slide sooner than most other aircraft due mostly to advances in control surface design, control laws, computing power and vectored thrust so the aircraft can overcome inertial moments when below airspeeds where the normal aerodynamic control surfaces are effective.
Regardless it is enjoyable watching this type of maneuvering and it takes exceptional confidence in your equipment to do these maneuvers in the low altitude regime.
:p