PDA

View Full Version : Engine pre-oilers, good to have or not?

ElimJim
04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Anyone running a pre-oiler? After sitting in storage for 4 months, the first start sure seems like it'll be pretty dry. I called either Savage or Absolute (I forget which) to get their take on it, and they said sure, they'll install one if I want, but didn't think it was needed.
Just curious about what others think about it. If you have one, what type is it? I've seen pressure fed and electric. Any downside to having one?

Whipped Caliber
04-16-2007, 12:55 PM
I run one!! Starting a dry $60k engine :sqeyes: It pumps it up to 40psi before I turn the key.

boatsnblondes
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I looked at them seriously, they can be found at here (http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/acc_units.html) and here (http://www.masterlube.net/). There are more I think, but these are the two that I spoke with at length...I came to my own conclusions on the issue and decided not to install...you will have to decide for yourself after talking with these guys what you want to do...good luck in your research......

bead
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I also thought about it , asked my engine builder and he said " its not a bad idea " but he didnt think it was nessary. In my oppinion if you got the money to spend on one, then do it. Its not like its going to hurt anything except your wallet. I think they are a great idea if your boat sits for period of time.

brad22
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I would call it cheap insurance. :) CP carries a few, accusump, masterlube and Keith Eickert. www.cpperformance.com

Jbb
04-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I ran a Masterlube on my last boat....nice to see oil pressure before it cranks...If I did it again ...It would be a pump driven one from Keith Eickert..

RiverToysJas
04-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Chevy engines are designed to hold oil where it's needed for just this purpose...but like everyone says, consult your own pro's and make your own call. Remember the guys selling you parts might recommend something different than a guy who just works on them and has nothing to gain. ;)
But it certainly can't hurt.
RTJas :D

Lavey29
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
I have one on my Eickert motor and use it prior to every start. It is also used for universal cool down after a long run in hot weather. I run it every 3 weeks during the off season also just to keep everything slick and sealed.

98 Vector 21
04-16-2007, 04:25 PM
I dont need one! The best protection you can have is not to let it Set to long! :D

desertbird
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I think more than for sitting so long, I think I want one for the 40+ times each day I start my boat on the water! Be it skiing, floating down the river, or just stopping to pee.
Everytime I crank it, I can;t help but think these oilers are a good way to go.:idea:
Of course, I haven't bought one yet either! :rolleyes: :smile:

Ken F
04-16-2007, 04:46 PM
I bought one off e-bay this winter on the recomendation of my engine builder.
They say that 40% of engine wear occurs in the first minute of runtime due to lack of oil.
Also, the Acusump will provide oil pressure in an emergency situation where your oil pressure should become low for whatever reason. I was having this problem with my boat on hard acceleration. All the oil would wash up in the back of the pan & block and temporarily rob the engine of pressure.
Ken F

Jbb
04-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Eickert thinks alot of them....
The Keith Eickert engine pre-oiler system can not only reduce but practically eliminate these wear characteristics with a simple flip of a switch.
A known fact discussed among engine builders is the fact that 80% of an engines wear happens during initial start up. The longer the duration of time between an engines use the more severe the wear and damage may be. At last there is a simple solution to preventing the metal to metal wear that can significantly reduce the overall life span of your expensive engine.
The Keith Eickert engine pre-oiler system can not only reduce but practically eliminate these wear characteristics with a simple flip of a switch. The heart of this system is the high quality electrically operated billet pump that feeds your engine oil through a micron filter element and one way bypass valve to not only pre-lubricate your engine but also trap unwanted debris from being pumped directly to your engines vital components on initial start up. A one way check valve is used to assure uninterrupted oiling during engine operation and each system comes complete with a heavy duty billet pump mounting bracket.
So if you value the hard earned dollars you’ve invested in your engine then protect it with a Pre-Oiler. The money and engine you’re saving are your very own.

RiverToysJas
04-16-2007, 05:33 PM
A known fact discussed among engine builders is the fact that 80% of an engines wear happens during initial start up.
Interesting wording.... uses the word fact twice in that sentance, yet provides no sourse the "fact", only that engine builders talk about it.... :confused: 80% of the engine wear occures in a few seconds.....that's a bold statement....I mean "fact".
LOL! Like I said, they can't hurt. I think the people who are selling them think the highest of them though. ;)

Jbb
04-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Interesting wording.... uses the word fact twice in that sentance, yet provides no sourse the "fact", only that engine builders talk about it.... :confused: 80% of the engine wear occures in a few seconds.....that's a bold statement....I mean "fact".
LOL! Like I said, they can't hurt. I think the people who are selling them think the highest of them though. ;)
That was taken from his website......I guess its all about marketing...He also seems to think the ability to pump oil thru after cooldown is beneficial.....He has built alot of race winning motors...

RiverToysJas
04-16-2007, 05:40 PM
That was taken from his website......I guess its all about marketing...He also seems to think the ability to pump oil thru after cooldown is beneficial.....He has built alot of race winning motors...
Yeah, I figured that was his marketing piece. I can see that (about the cool-down), esp in a race situation where you're running hard RPMs for a long time, then shutting down fast. I try to let the boat idle or run easy for a little bit after a long run myself. Like I said, I'm sure they can't hurt, but I don't think they are for everyone.

brad22
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Some very good points on this thread. Only you and your engine builder can determine if your engine is "worth" putting a little bit of extra protection on it.
I have heard of one boat completely losing oil pressure and actually being able to idle back using only a KE pre-luber system. Thats pretty cool.

TRIMMIN
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
What would happen if you flipped the kill switch and cranked it till you saw pressure?

racecar.hotshoe
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
No but I do use one on the wife...:D :D :D

Jbb
04-17-2007, 02:26 AM
No but I do use one on the wife...:D :D :D
:D

racecar.hotshoe
04-17-2007, 04:51 AM
:D
Like you dont.:jawdrop: :D