PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bearings

TahitiTiger
04-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I decided to do some maintence on my trailer bearings. Seeing I bought the boat 3 years ago and never checked em when I got it. Any ways the bearings were in excelent shape, and I got new BCA bearings and seals for it. Question though I have Mobile 1 grease both in a tub, and my grease gun. Can I use it, or should I do the right thing and get boat trailer grease? BTW I am not running bearing buddies, I have regular grease caps with zerk fittings.
Thanks
TT

Taylorman
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Id use that, im sure it will be just fine.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Put bearing buddies on and don't open them back up for a quarter century or so.

centerhill condor
04-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Put bearing buddies on and don't open them back up for a quarter century or so.
good advice. also, from time to time after you've been trailering put a finger on each hub...should be nice and cool. if not, check the bearings.

Hallett19
04-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Who can I have to do the trailer bearings on my trailer, I think mine are wasted! Probably be okay to take it to any tire shop, right?

HBjet
04-17-2007, 10:21 AM
good advice. also, from time to time after you've been trailering put a finger on each hub...should be nice and cool. if not, check the bearings.
Nice and cool? After driving for 200 miles they should be nice and cool? Mine are never HOT, but that are warm for sure. Even after having them serviced.
Hmmm
HBjet

Mr. Crusader 83
04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I used to tow from San Diego to Havasu every other weekend and the bearings on my trailer have always been nice and cool after 300 miles.

TahitiTiger
04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
bearing buddies? I have always heard bad things about them. My 62 Glasspar's trailer had bearing buddies, and they were a pain in the arse. (yes they were new).

BrendellaJet
04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I used to tow from San Diego to Havasu every other weekend and the bearings on my trailer have always been nice and cool after 300 miles.
Were they cool, or just somewhat warm, not hot. Mine are always warm enough to touch, but no so hot they would burn my finger.

patrolman808
04-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Do our trailers pretty much use the same bearings? I need to change all 4 of mine out for a little peace of mind.

Mr. Crusader 83
04-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Were they cool, or just somewhat warm, not hot. Mine are always warm enough to touch, but no so hot they would burn my finger.
When i say cool. Im not talking like i pulled them out of the cooler. but they have never been warm at all.

TahitiTiger
04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Do our trailers pretty much use the same bearings? I need to change all 4 of mine out for a little peace of mind.
for the most part yes, trailer bearing are pretty much all the same. There are some odd balls out there. I got my BCA bearings with National seals for $50 (one axle).

Mr. Crusader 83
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I think there is 2 different sizes. like 2 1/8 and 2 1/4 or something along those lines.

n8dawg
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I have turned it into a habbit that everytime I get gas/food I always check the hubs to make sure they are cool/warm. Burnt the you know what otta my hand once, I ended up spinning a bearring once and NEVER want to do it again!!!:) A word the wise....:idea: just service your trailer at the beginning of the season....every season!!!!:D My .02
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/2/6142towtruck1-med.jpg

Squirtcha?
04-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Not all the same from what I've seen. It just so happens that mine are carried by Autozone (had ta buy one while at the CBBB a few years back).
Pop a set out and run em by your local auto parts store. You might just get lucky.
I carry a grease gun, keep mine serviced (bearing buddies), check them for play and noise regularly, and carry a couple spare sets along with the necessary tools to change them.
I had a trailer wheel pass me on the way to the ramp. Don't want to repeat that one.

76 Bonneville
04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I just went through my trailer and put new bearings and seals on it. I used Mobil 1 syn grease and packed the hub full, solid from rear seal to the buddy bearing. Another part of the trailer that probably gets totally over looked, is the nylon bushings in the leaf springs, shackles, and pivot piece. Last weekend while doing the bearings I noticed some play in the pivot piece. Dropped the axles and found some worn out bushings, A couple were metal to metal. Replaced all 14 bushings this afternoon and greased the hell out of them. I think i'm ready for a river trip!!!