PDA

View Full Version : N/W guys II

1968Droptop
02-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I saw the weather forcast for Saturday, mid 50's and dry. Tony and I are talking about going to Lk. Samm to play for a couple of hours in the early afternoon, any takers ???

1978 Rogers
02-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Maybe. My wife wants to go to here aunt & uncles in Sequim. They haven't seen Claire yet.
I'll play it by ear. Had a good time Friday also. That was a blast. I was a little tired Saturday morning. Had to sleep in Saturday. :cry:

JETBOY03
02-06-2006, 08:34 PM
i would if my boat wasnt still all apart. let me see what i can do this week about getting it back together. but you know how that is, it might be like painting trim.

1978 Rogers
02-06-2006, 08:38 PM
You'll need a spanking for that comment, big boy.

malcolm
02-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I think I'll stay focused on my engine build. Gotta get her ship shape for Spring.

Konabud
02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I think I'll stay focused on my engine build. Gotta get her ship shape for Spring.
Me too, I made a list of things to do on the boat so I could start checking things off.. :2purples: :2purples: MAN what a list, I guess I'd better get busy!

malcolm
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Oh boy, I would never make a list like that, probably give me a stroke. :D

JETBOY03
02-07-2006, 06:54 AM
sorry chris but i have to take the attention of of me somehow

1978 Rogers
02-07-2006, 06:57 AM
I understand, but that gal was all about attention.

Konabud
02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
GOOD LUCK!!!!..... LOL :D :D

1968Droptop
02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
It won't be that easy....LOL !!!!!!!!!!
We'll see what happens come Friday, but we were thinking about 11ish ?

1978 Rogers
02-08-2006, 07:17 AM
If I have another day of vacation, I might take this Friday off. Friday is suppose to be warmer than Saturday. Hint Hint Hint. :idea:

Tahiti350
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I would be there for some lake time, but I screwed up my neck and shoulder (again). Have an appointment with the Chiropractor Friday morning, will see how I feel after that, but not looking good right now. :cry:
Beautiful weather and I can barely move, figures.... :mad:

1978 Rogers
02-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I would be there for some lake time, but I screwed up my neck and shoulder (again). Have an appointment with the Chiropractor Friday morning, will see how I feel after that, but not looking good right now. :cry:
I came into work this morning at 4:00 am to do a software update. I plan on leaving early today to pop the softplugs back in and put my logs back on. I won't be leaving until mid morning Friday. I'm not in a hurry to get to the ramp. No one will be there because its below 30 out. It was 26 this morning at our house. :cry:
Creg told me he drove by Wash at 10 am the other day. Lake was empty and glass.

Konabud
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Gary any luck on cancellations at Antlers? Malcolm seems to be having trouble even getting ahold of them. That sleepy Chris got me going and he seems to be doing a lot of back peddaling. It would be nice if someone else from up here ends up going. At least I wouldn't feel like a redheaded stepchild. :D

1978 Rogers
02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Gary any luck on cancellations at Antlers? Malcolm seems to be having trouble even getting ahold of them. That sleepy Chris got me going and he seems to be doing a lot of back peddaling. It would be nice if someone else from up here ends up going. At least I wouldn't feel like a redheaded stepchild. :D
Hey, hey, I'll call Antlers right now from work. :D
The only Step Child standing out from our group is Jetboy "Spanking Machine Austin". :D :D :D

1968Droptop
02-09-2006, 02:05 PM
OUCH !!!!!!!! I hope the bone cracker can help you out, or up as the case may be. Friday won't work for me, got an appt. with the Accountant at 1PM. Saturday is our only shot for a couple of weeks.
Speaking of Saturday's. How would everyone like to get together over here 3 weeks from this Saturday ? Wives, kids, the whole famdamly. We chatted a little about it last Friday night, and we seem to be in the middle for most. Everyone is welcome to come over, chat, have an adult beverage (if they choose), and get to know us. We can BBQ up some dogs n burgs. Let us know and we'll ink you in.

1978 Rogers
02-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Sounds cool to me. But, do we have to bring the wife & kids. lol. Just kidding. Yeah, what ever.

malcolm
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
They call me back, they just don't tell me anything! :mad:
I did email them last night, if that doesn't make anything happen I'll sick the wife on them tomorrow. I hope they're ready for the 'pitbull'. :p

1968Droptop
02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll sick the wife on them tomorrow. I hope they're ready for the 'pitbull'. :p
1968Droptop loging that in the memory banks...LOL !

malcolm
02-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Let's see 3 weeks.... would that be March 4?
I just told my Dad we'd go to the Competition Specialties trade show that day. Oooops!

1968Droptop
02-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I just told my Dad we'd go to the Competition Specialties trade show that day. Oooops!
DOOOHH !!!

Tahiti350
02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Nothing from Antlers yet, the back up plan is to rent a big tent and the rest of the gear required for a "camping" weekend.
I will be out of town on 4 March, maybe the 11th would work better?
Im doing a little better today, finally got some much needed sleep, slept on the couch from about 3 am until 2:30 pm. found a position that didn't agrevate the pinched nerves. Kind of tough to lay in one position for 12 hours though.
Keep me informed on the plans for Friday/Saturday, and I'll see how I feel.

malcolm
02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Nothing from Antlers yet
No shocker there. :D

Tahiti350
02-10-2006, 12:37 PM
What time is everyone going out Saturday? I'm feeling a little better, enough to get out and have a little fun, as long as there is someone else there to help put it on the trailer, just in case...

1968Droptop
02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
What time is everyone going out Saturday? I'm feeling a little better, enough to get out and have a little fun, as long as there is someone else there to help put it on the trailer, just in case...
Well it looks like Tony is out, he has to work. I was going to bail on the idea unless omeone else was going. If we went, I was thinking around noon ? Open for ideas though, as I've only been on the lake once a LONG time ago.

1978 Rogers
02-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Lake Washington was fun. I posted some pics. Check them out in the Members Gallery.
It was nice on the East side of Mercer Island. Once we came around the North end heading West along the N side of I-90, HOLD ON, It got a choppy. Coming back along I-90 pacing traffic was hard to do, even rougher. I could barely keep it on plain. :cry: No racing cars. :cry: We headed back South along the West side of Mercer. Wasn't bad until we hit the tip. It was rough again in open area. After lunch at Ivors we trie heading up the West side of the lake to Rainier Beach Ramp. Way to rough. We started scipping across the tops and sucking up air int he pump. Good thing for gortex jackets. We took a little splashing and dipped the bow under a little, lol. Sorry Creg. :) But all in all I think it was worth it. We went back up along the East side of Mercer. Seemed like the nice spot to be.
Gary, you would have hated it. Way to rough with a bad shoulder. I'm still sorry from the bounching. That sucks Chris, Tony has to work. I hope its nice at Sammamish for you. The wind can get bad up there too coming through the valley.

Captain Assin' Off
02-10-2006, 06:58 PM
A Saturday get together sounds cool, I won't show 'till after 5:30 though. Still working most Saturdays.
On the motor subject, I was talking to Jim Green, and he thinks I should go with a 498" Big Block Chev for the blower motor, and keep the one I built last year as a spare, rather than risk hurting the smaller motor with a blower. I guess the 454's really like the 4.25" stroker crank, and if cranks cost $1000. why not stroke it? I did finally pull the jet apart, the bearing let loose, the impeller waasn't hurt, but the last time I had a cracked impeller, I ate the suction housing, so I'll buy that Malcolm. Tony Skagen says with a blower motor, I'll be needing a "AA" impeller, and so that's how that goes. He bought back his old pickle blower boat, and wants to get together, maybe 4th of July on Banks Lake, if anyone can make it. Do not stay @ Steamboat, stay at Coulee Resort, good beaches, and it's Private. No Gestapo state cops.
Only having Sundays off is cramping my motor building time, so I'm gonna go pound some pistons out of a Rat before bedtime....Ta..Ta... :skull:

Tahiti350
02-10-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm out for Saturday, went out and worked on the yard (was feeling better), now I'm sitting here with a bag of frozen corn on the back of my neck again. I just couldn't lay around again today, it was too nice to be stuck on the couch. I'm hoping that being up moving around may help move everything back where it belongs, but the chiropractor is worried that I may have shifted or blown a disc right where the neck meets the shoulders. Said if it's not better by Monday I'll probably need an MRI.
Chis, glad the Rogers ran okay, I assume the freeze plugs sealed ok, and no other damage?

malcolm
02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey Matt,
Good to hear you're tinkerin' on it at least. I think I finally have all the stuff I need to start building my 455. Picked up my re-sized rods today. I'll be ordering more goodies next week, like that oil cooler, new battery boxes, and maybe some bigger exhaust tips. If I'm gonna stay thru-transom, I gotta make it louder somehow! :p

1978 Rogers
02-10-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't believe how sore my arms are. I didn't think I was clinching the wheel. I ache all over right now.
The motor ran good, even picked about 200 rpm with the 750 mainbody upgrade or maybe with was the cold air. :) But my tach was at 5k. woo hoo. I have more water in the bilge as usual. At first it was the gasket where my hose connects to the ball valve by the pump. I felt around the frost plugs when we got back, they felt dry. I wonder where the water is coming from. :idea: :cry: I hope its something simple.

JETBOY03
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
wish i could of been out on the water with you today chris. glad you guy had fun. is anyone still planning on going out tomarrow? you know i make a good passenger.

malcolm
02-10-2006, 08:31 PM
It just hit me that you went out on the lake today Chris!
So that carb helped out, good deal!

1978 Rogers
02-11-2006, 08:55 AM
It just hit me that you went out on the lake today Chris!
So that carb helped out, good deal!
Yes it did. I need a GPS to see what speed I gained. I'd to do it around here and see if I get the same at Moses. I think your's just reads slow. :)

1968Droptop
02-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey Matt,
. I'll be ordering more goodies next week, like that oil cooler,
Hey Malcolm. I've heard that oil coolers aren't the best thing to use. Since our engines have an unlimitied supply of cool water, they can run quite cool. The oil gets cooled too much, never letting the engine warm up internally. Just a thought for you. Wish I was at the lake today, but we'll be out there soon enough....
Changing the get together to March 11th would be just fine with us. In fact we can ink the Calender if everyone wants ???
Chris (78Rogers) what lake did you go to ?

Konabud
02-11-2006, 10:28 AM
We're out for that day, having the twins 2nd birthday party here. If we could come at all it would be later

malcolm
02-11-2006, 11:26 AM
On the contrairy, oil coolers are the best thing to use. Just cuz the engine runs cool doesn't mean the oil isn't getting hot. Ask anyone with an oil temp gauge, the longer you run with the throttle down, the hotter the oil gets. Almost lost the 403 to it last year.

1968Droptop
02-11-2006, 12:40 PM
We're out for that day, having the twins 2nd birthday party here. If we could come at all it would be later
How about the 11th ?
I had heard the contrary Malcolm. Or at least that's what I thought I heard, could be wrong (but unlikely just ask my wife...lol)

Konabud
02-11-2006, 12:43 PM
On the contrairy, oil coolers are the best thing to use. Just cuz the engine runs cool doesn't mean the oil isn't getting hot. Ask anyone with an oil temp gauge, the longer you run with the throttle down, the hotter the oil gets. Almost lost the 403 to it last year.
I'll have to agree with you on that one Malcolm after researching the things I could do to prolong my engine life a good rear pickup pan and an oil temp gauge were first on the list. Followed closely by an oil cooler if necessary. :smile:

Konabud
02-11-2006, 12:46 PM
How about the 11th ?
The 11th works for me!

1978 Rogers
02-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Chris (78Rogers) what lake did you go to ?
Creg & I went to Lake Washington, Jean Coulon park on the south end. If you go head up along the East side. Stay away from the West side of Mercer.
Did you see the pics I posted of it yesterday? The names of the pics all started with "lake wash". Steeler fans, you have to over explain everything to them. :rolleyes: :D :D :D

JETBOY03
02-11-2006, 01:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160DSCF0168-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160DSCF0174-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160DSCF0164-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2160DSCF0161-med.JPG

1978 Rogers
02-11-2006, 01:22 PM
The pic titled "chop" look the roughest. You can see white on some of the waves, but still not as bad as it was on the West side by Rainier Beach area. We didn't take any over in this area. They probably would have been blurry anyways from the rocking.

Konabud
02-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Just to add, all in all it was a great day! Clean refreshing air, beautiful scenery, whats a little water between friends! It was certainly a good mid winter fix and just wanted to say thanks again Chris for the great ride! It makes me want to get mine back on the water all the more! :D :D :D

Captain Assin' Off
02-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Chris, it looks like you guys had fun, although a little cool. We'll have to GPS @ Moses this summer. Malcolm is right on with oil temperatures '68. These engines never coast, and unlike a car motor, there is no cool air blasting away at the pan to cool things down. I frequently hit near 300 degrees, and stop for cool downs. I'll have to add a cooler this year as well. The water temp is usually the problem child with our kind of boats. The flow is fast, and the water takes all the heat with it. I monitor my flow in and out, and also monitor water pressure. I run right at 200 degrees water temp, and when I idle around, I have a 1 G.P.M. pump running to my headers to keep them from bluing from extended low R.P.M. drive arounds. We battle oil/water temp issues all the time, especially with the change in conditions that we encounter. The lakes are warm, and the rivers are cool. I may just do E.F.I. to get around the atomization issues that a cold intake does to you. Just a 9 hour day today, Yahoo! I get some shop time today, and tomorrow morning we have to do a dive in the skykomish river to clear a well sump...Brrrr.....

1968Droptop
02-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Well the score is Chris 1, other guys 3 on the oil temp issue. It's looking more and more like I was miss informed. I'm always ready to learn, and it look like today is a good day for that. I cureently don't ahve an oil cooler, or an oil temp gauge. I'd like to add the gauge, but I don't want to cut a new hole in the dash. Do your oil temps swing fast ? If not, maybe I can add one in the engine compartment that can be viewed from the drivers seat. At least I could turn my head and check. But if they swing rapidly, then I'll have to consider something else.
I talked with Sleepy Chris and Creg about coming over on Satrurday the 11th of March. They both siad that would work. All of you N/Wer's are invited.
Creg, did you get ahold of Chad ? Curious minds want to know if you've got a new project ?

malcolm
02-11-2006, 07:16 PM
My Dad's B-day is March 8th, so I might have a hard time making this one as well. :skull: Starting to sound like a broken record.....

1968Droptop
02-11-2006, 09:37 PM
My Dad's B-day is March 8th, so I might have a hard time making this one as well. :skull: Starting to sound like a broken record.....
Showin your age Malcom, it's the 00's, you mean the CD has a scrath in it..lol. So your doing something with your dad on the 11th ?

malcolm
02-11-2006, 11:47 PM
I figured you'd know what I meant. ;)
Nothing's planned yet, but the family usually does some kind of B-day thing on the following Sat. Don't want to get in trouble. :)

1968Droptop
02-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I figured you'd know what I meant. ;)
Oh I knew what you meant, just jabbin ya in the side. I really should of used the word "OUR" age, as we're all about the same (except for *SSMAN, aka JetBoy). My 4yo is going to be amazed when he gets old enough to understand that I didn't have a remote for the TV, video games, cell phones, computers, or CD's when I was growing up. I can just see the look on his face right now, why do they call that an 8-Track....lmoa !

Konabud
02-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Well it's the Just Jets forum but I know some of you guys wouldn't be caught dead over in V-drives. I picked this up yesterday as a project for next winter (gotta think ahead). It's a 16' 63 brendella with one of those propeller thingies on it. I bought it less motor, it had a BBC in it I don't know what'll go back in it. It ought to make a fun little play boat someday.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/311263Brendella.JPG
Thanks Chris and Tony for the tip!

malcolm
02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Ha, it has started. You'll have a yard full in no time. I've got 3 in the front yard now. :D

Konabud
02-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Ha, it has started. You'll have a yard full in no time. I've got 3 in the front yard now. :D
LOL! This one goes right next to the Kona in the garage I won't spill out into the yard until the next one. :D :D

1968Droptop
02-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I picked this up yesterday as a project for next winter......................Thanks Chris and Tony for the tip!
Don't thank us too fast, it's not in the water yet....LOL. Did you get it for the price I told you on the phone ? It's got a lot of potential that's for sure. And I bet it'll really rip when your finished.

malcolm
02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Reminds me of the little 16' Stevens I picked up, 'cept mine's a little v-bottom jet.
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/stevensrear.JPG

Konabud
02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Malcolm that looks like fun! I got it for $900.00 delivered, supposed to be bringing it by this afternoon! I wasn't going to buy it until I looked at a couple of other boats but I couldn't stand to see it sit outside with no cover. The stringers and such were too nice to ruin and the price was right. I think he said he had more than that in the drive.

1968Droptop
02-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Malcolm that looks like fun! I got it for $900.00 delivered, The stringers and such were too nice to ruin and the price was right. I think he said he had more than that in the drive.
Yup, he said he had a G in the drive alone. It used to pop outta gear all the time, he finally got it to go work porperly, but after a LOT of time and $$$ were spent.

Konabud
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll probably stick with the BBC seeing how all the hardware is there unless the only way I can get a trans in it is to go smallblock. I have a buddy who used to have a 16' starfire hull with a smallblock, it wasn't no slouch!

1978 Rogers
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Chris, today looks like an awesome day to go out. Its shining like a Motha down here. After Emily goes to the shower I'm free. I could be at Coulon at 2:30. Hint hint. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
I wouldn't be taking the boat. If its rough you could just warm it up on the trailer and make some noice. :crossx: :cool:

1968Droptop
02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Chris, today looks like an awesome day to go out. If its rough you could just warm it up on the trailer and make some noice. :crossx: :cool:
Oh I hear you, man is it nice out right now. Too late for me though, at least on a Sunday. I hope we get some more weather like this......

1978 Rogers
02-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I think the forcaster got today wrong. It sure is nice and warm down in the valley.

malcolm
02-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah, great day! Almost took the cover off. :)
I did a little polishing on the pump. Still had that hard water mark on it from Blue Lake. I finally washed the Explorer too! Only the third wash it's had since I bought it last June. :D

1968Droptop
02-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I think the forcaster got today wrong. It sure is nice and warm down in the valley.
Don't think that'll be the case next weekend. Anyone catch the forcast, a high of 35, yes a HIGH !!! Damn that's cold for a high temp.

malcolm
02-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey Sleepy! I hope you drained your boat this time! It's 24* up here this mornimg. :skull:

1978 Rogers
02-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey Sleepy! I hope you drained your boat this time! It's 24* up here this mornimg. :skull:
DOH. :mad: No, but I have a 100 watt light bulb under the oil pan to generate some heat. I'll be dumping in anit-freeze into the block & logs when I get home today. Its suppose to get colder by Friday. By the way its 21 in Puyallup right now. :cry: At least its sunny and we can see Rainier. Time to get hit Washington again. Think of the extra power you'd get from the cold air. :)

malcolm
02-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Do you mix the antifreeze 50/50 with water? Kinda hard to circulate it without a water pump. I just pull my 4 drains and let it sit all winter with nothing in it. The light bulb idea probably works OK though, huh! Until it burns out or catches something on fire. :crossx:

1978 Rogers
02-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Do you mix the antifreeze 50/50 with water? Kinda hard to circulate it without a water pump. I just pull my 4 drains and let it sit all winter with nothing in it. The light bulb idea probably works OK though, huh! Until it burns out or catches something on fire. :crossx:
The the "burn out" is what caused my frost plugs to pop last good freez we had. If you disconnect the hoses from the top of the block, insert funnel, dump in anti freeze. It follows the path of the cooling water in reverse and dumps out the pump. When you see pink (RV anitfreeze), its all good. The stuff you put in the water lines of RV's. Its safe for the fishys. :rolleyes:

mile2885
02-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey guys. It's for sale. Maybe I'll make it out with you before I sell it.

1968Droptop
02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
The the "burn out" is what caused my frost plugs to pop last good freez we had. If you disconnect the hoses from the top of the block, insert funnel, dump in anti freeze. It follows the path of the cooling water in reverse and dumps out the pump. When you see pink (RV anitfreeze), its all good. The stuff you put in the water lines of RV's. Its safe for the fishys. :rolleyes:
Currently 19 here in Horse town.

1978 Rogers
02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
I put in the anti-freeze in the engine and noticed it dribbling out the back behind the motor mount. I should have drained the SOB back in November before I popped all 6 soft plugs. :mad: I'm guessing I cracked the block on the back side. I put up a thread and pic in Gear Heads for everyones enjoyment. :cry:
Creg, now I know why I had water in the bildge when we were done last Friday. It wasn't much, but still not good.

malcolm
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Time for JB weld? :p

1978 Rogers
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey, if i get remote oil filters I can hang the lines down in the bildge. The water might cool the oil a bit. :rollside:

malcolm
02-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Just let the water get high enough, it will cool the pan too! ;)

1968Droptop
02-16-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm guessing I cracked the block on the back side. :cry:
Creg, now I know why I had water in the bildge when we were done last Friday. It wasn't much, but still not good.
That's NO GOOD, sorry to hear that ! But look on the bright side, you can use the "I need a new engine" line to build a heathy new one.

Tahiti350
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
We went to the mountain today, just to get out of town for a little while. Anyway, Alder lake is about as full now as it was back in June of 05. There's water all the way into Elbe, but a lot of floaters and what looks like a lot of stumps right at the surface. If it keeps filling it should be a good summer destination.