PDA

View Full Version : Havasu is burning!!!!

Benjhamina
04-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Sorry if this is a repost but I didn't see anything about it......
Here is the email I got.
Hey guys,
Kevin bought a place at Havasu Landing last month and they went out for Spring Break. This was just about 4 houses down from his place.
He and his vacationing fireman buddies managed to save several boats, jet skis, golf carts and a $200,000 sand buggy before the fire department even showed up. A diesel pusher and very nice boat did burn to the ground, Kevin said it was just too hot to get to them.
DennyV
Only in Havasu can you suck down a few coldies with your pals on the sand bar, head over to the naked turtle for a pina colada and then be first onscene to a ripping garage fire in flip flops only to find out the second Engine Company is rolling in from Needles, 45 minutes away........... I think this was the best vacation I ever had!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/benjhamina/HavasuGarageFire4-2007053.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/benjhamina/HavasuGarageFire4-2007042.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/benjhamina/HavasuGarageFire4-2007030.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/benjhamina/HavasuGarageFire4-2007011.jpg

SHOTKALLIN
04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Mrs.Racer277
04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Saw the fire from our house on Wed....
Awesome of those guys to step up and help out. :)

mrs.rvrluvr
04-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Very sad. glad those guys were there to help.

LAFD
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
45 min for a second engine company. damn ide be buying my own fire engine and showing everyone on the block how to operate it. thats insane.

Havasu1
04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I saw this place after the fire. Looks like they lost an RV and a car in the garage. This area of the landing has large garages only for people toy storage. It was a big garage. :mad:

Hardly Satisfied
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
that sucks what happened, glad no one was hurt

Benjhamina
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
The community should all pitch in and get fire hydrants and hoses on every block. That looks like it could have been allot worse.

dumbandyoung
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
that sucks. That was cool that they saved a bunch of toys! Sound like great neighbors!:D

RitcheyRch
04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
That sucks. Glad no one was hurt.

Family4Day
04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Looks like Kevin Valetine? I think he is working today, I have to go out and check the roster. A nice action picture like that could equal some ice cream!
Todd

Benjhamina
04-17-2007, 03:29 PM
That is Kevin Valentine. He is the one who sent the email. What a brave soul. Get him mint chocolate chip and make it a double!

Havasu1986
04-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Fire sprinklers would have put it out when it 1st started.:( Only a little water damage after that.:) And yes I work for a fire sprinkler company.

blackcloud75
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
First off, at least no one got hurt......
And lucky their were some off-duty firefighters to assist the volunteer Station 118 crew from San Bernardino Co FD...Station 31 in needles(1 Fire Capt./1 PCF) and Station 17(1 Fire Captain) Big River are the closest Full-Time staffed stations along the whole river. The rest are volunteer companies.
For those who know, mobile/manufactured homes light up like matches sticks.
Kudos to those who helped , it could've been real ugly and more houses lost.

blackcloud75
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Fire sprinklers would have put it out when it 1st started.:( Only a little water damage after that.:) And yes I work for a fire sprinkler company.
SOOOO TRUE>>>>>>>>>>>>

RiverRatMike
04-17-2007, 04:08 PM
wow, I'm surprised I never saw that. About what time did all that happen?

wildbillg
04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
one of the guys had a JC pontoon in the garage and he just came over here and bought a new one to replace the one that burned up in that fire, his old one was only 2 years old, now he gets a brand new one......

phebus
04-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Last Wednesday, around dinner time, over at Havasu Landing.

shadow
04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
You were probablly at your "River house":D

HavaSkank
04-17-2007, 05:17 PM
We watched a mobile burn to the ground while the Desert Hills FD took over 20 minutes to respond a couple years ago. Once they arrived they looked confused. I was there with my friend who is a Bat Chief and he was in shock over the inexperienced crew. Lesson learned. After witnessing that circus we up'ed our insurance.
I could use a new boat. A JC sounds nice.

RiverRatMike
04-17-2007, 05:40 PM
You were probablly at your "River house":D
nope wasn't there at that time, was at my home in Havi :)

Ziggy
04-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I thought the Indians reclaimed all the homes over there and booted everyone out......:confused:

BOBALOO
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Posts like this make me feel better about all the sprinkler heads in my ceiling from the remodel. Fire is my # 1 fear.

shaffewm
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Last Wednesday, around dinner time, over at Havasu Landing.
Well if it was last wednesday I guess it wasn't mine...sorry for the people who's it was though....:(

shaffewm
04-17-2007, 06:10 PM
This got me thinking....since I'm there on and off...do you put them in as a after market type setup..in an:idea: existing mobile?...I guess the garage would be easier as we haven't finished the inside yet...

Baja Big Dog
04-18-2007, 07:15 AM
We watched a mobile burn to the ground while the Desert Hills FD took over 20 minutes to respond a couple years ago. Once they arrived they looked confused. I was there with my friend who is a Bat Chief and he was in shock over the inexperienced crew. Lesson learned. After witnessing that circus we up'ed our insurance.
I could use a new boat. A JC sounds nice.
I call bullshitt!!

havaduner
04-18-2007, 07:32 AM
I thought the Indians reclaimed all the homes over there and booted everyone out......:confused:
Not here, this was in the mobile home park. The area you are probably thinking about was north of this area, in what is known as the "colony"
Most of those are vacant, or have been torn down.

HavaSkank
04-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I call bullshitt!!
I tell no lie BBD. At around 7am I saw the plume of smoke while drinking coffee on my deck. Others came out, said, "Damn, let's go look!" and headed the 5-6 blocks towards the fire. I continued to enjoy my cup-a-joe for another 5 minutes while watching the smoke cloud double in size. I then thought, "Hey, I wanna see all the excitement!" and went inside to get dressed. So now tack on an additional 3-5 minutes while I put on a bra, shoes, deodorant, brushed my nappy hair and looked for my keys.
So I roll on scene and was shocked to see I STILL beat the Desert Hills FD. I watched as the local toothless tweakers ran up and down the street screaming for probably another 3-5 minutes until FINALLY an engine arrived. We watched as the engine drove passed the inferno to the end of the street, where it made a U-turn and stopped 7-8 mobiles away from the fire! Nobody got out of the truck, they appeared to be assessing it from afar.
My friend who is a BC had never seen anything like it in his 20+ years. I dont know if the DH Dept is voluntary or staffed fulltime, but regardless it was scary to realize the response time.

Kilrtoy
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
I tell no lie BBD. At around 7am I saw the plume of smoke while drinking coffee on my deck. Others came out, said, "Damn, let's go look!" and headed the 5-6 blocks towards the fire. I continued to enjoy my cup-a-joe for another 5 minutes while watching the smoke cloud double in size. I then thought, "Hey, I wanna see all the excitement!" and went inside to get dressed. So now tack on an additional 3-5 minutes while I put on a bra, shoes, deodorant, brushed my nappy hair and looked for my keys.
So I roll on scene and was shocked to see I STILL beat the Desert Hills FD. I watched as the local toothless tweakers ran up and down the street screaming for probably another 3-5 minutes until FINALLY an engine arrived. We watched as the engine drove passed the inferno to the end of the street, where it made a U-turn and stopped 7-8 mobiles away from the fire! Nobody got out of the truck, they appeared to be assessing it from afar.
My friend who is a BC had never seen anything like it in his 20+ years. I dont know if the DH Dept is voluntary or staffed fulltime, but regardless it was scary to realize the response time.
I never thought of someones home burning as entertainment, But to each is own...
Im no fireman, but I know you dont park infront of the burning structure

blackcloud75
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Good Popo...Good Popo
We like to run squad cars over..........:D
And Desert Hills is a volunteer Dept.......
When it comes to Public Services, Communities get what they pay for.......

HavaSkank
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I never thought of someones home burning as entertainment, But to each is own...
You mean I shouldnt have parked in the driveway and whipped out the marshmellows? Damn, so THAT'S why I was getting the strange looks.
Silly me

I DIG IT !
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
That really burns

wsuwrhr
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
An old boss of mine own the two trailers on the water that are parallel with the lake, the two that are side by side on the far north end. I am pretty sure he still owns them.
The fire looks to be in the back of the park though.
Glad noone was hurt.
Brian