PDA

View Full Version : HELP! RUDDER AND FIN ?'s....

Sangerdude
04-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Ok, here we go... These are off my 80 Sanger Mini Day Cruiser... I am pretty sure that I will need both... the fin is really bad and the rudder is pitted pretty good too. I would like to repair and reinstall, but I have precious cargo that I carry in the boat, so I am thinking new would be better. The rudder has a shaft that is about 15/16" and the leading edge measures 11 3/4" while the trailing edge is about 8 1/2". The shaft is about 12" in length. On the trailing edge there is "R-201" stamped on the edge.
The fin, as you can see does not mount "flat" it has a slight angle to it as it mounts from the bottom. The overall length is 13 1/2" by approx 3". the fin itself is about 5 1/2" at the tip and about 11" in length. Is has "cruiser" stamped on it as well.
Phew...no that I spouted all that out... Can anyone point me in the right direction? I was also wondering if the Schiada style fin would work? I have seen it is a post somewhere on here.
Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/bjkgearhart/rudder3.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/bjkgearhart/rudder2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/bjkgearhart/rudder1.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/bjkgearhart/fin3.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/bjkgearhart/fin2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/bjkgearhart/fin1.jpg

Sangerdude
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh another ?
Are there any good prop shops around/near the central valley? I would like to have a few props checked for pitch, cupping, and then polished too!!!
Thanks again....

Racey
04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Bergeron has done a couple rudders for some of our customers that are similar in shape to that one, check with glenwood for the fins.

brad22
04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
You can try my pops shop ACE Marine in Santa Rosa for your props, try CP, Bergeron, Glenwood for the fin and rudder. Good Luck! ;)

Sangerdude
04-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone have any numbers for these places or should I just google them?
Thanks again!
Bill

Racey
04-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Bergeron Engineering
1559 N Country Club Dr
Mesa, AZ 85201
(480) 834-1531
Glenwood Marine
1627 W. El Segundo Boulevard
Gardena, CA 90249
(323) 757-3141

MKEELINE
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
You might want to check out the strut also. If the other underwater gear is in bad shape, the strut maybe too. I believe Barber Welding does struts and rudders also, not sure of the phone number.

Sangerdude
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
ok, another question for those that know.
Looking at my rudder, would it be good to make any changes to it? I just talked to Kel at Barber Welding and he said to send everything and they could copy it or make any changes to it....What changes would one make to a rudder like this, seeing as it is on a 20 foot cruiser with a big block chevy?
Thanks

Nailhead
04-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Barber welding does do struts. I'm having a stainless drop thru built, should be done in a week or two. (562)928-2570

dmontzsta
04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
It depends on what you want to do with the boat.
You could always change the angle, but then you are opening up a whole new can of worms. Personally, I would just put the same stuff back on it. :)

Nailhead
04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
ok, another question for those that know.
Looking at my rudder, would it be good to make any changes to it? I just talked to Kel at Barber Welding and he said to send everything and they could copy it or make any changes to it....What changes would one make to a rudder like this, seeing as it is on a 20 foot cruiser with a big block chevy?
Thanks
I was told to go smaller on my rudder right now it has a 9" blade & is 13" deep. This is on a Spectra 24XS. I should be going to the smaller cruiser rudder or maybe the spencer type. The larger rudder really make the bow dive

Sangerdude
04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
The strut is actually in decent shape...I plan on changing these out first and then doing the strut this winter....alot of $ and I want to get Stainless.
Would a larger fin help or hurt? I am new to this, that is why I ask....

Sangerdude
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
It depends on what you want to do with the boat.
You could always change the angle, but then you are opening up a whole new can of worms. Personally, I would just put the same stuff back on it. :)
yeah, I hear you!

MKEELINE
04-19-2007, 07:59 AM
The strut is actually in decent shape...I plan on changing these out first and then doing the strut this winter....alot of $ and I want to get Stainless.
I hear you on the $$$$. My old strut looked good when i took it off, I had it magnufluxed and found a crack. Your's very well might be fine, but it doesn't hurt to have it checked out.

Sangerdude
04-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I hear you on the $$$$. My old strut looked good when i took it off, I had it magnufluxed and found a crack. Your's very well might be fine, but it doesn't hurt to have it checked out.
Hmmmmmm...yeah, that would suck! Ok, its got to come off now! I just didnt want to deal with the nuts and bolts of it yet...damn oil pan is about 1/2" away from those nuts! TIGHT FIT! That is a definite safety issue though...It doesnt look like it has ever been hit, BUT....who knows! Cracks suck!
Thanks again!

Schiada76
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Why don't you just have them x-rayed cleaned up and rechromed?
If not Glenwood has all that stuff stock as well as REX.

Racey
04-19-2007, 12:54 PM
If the boat turns good leave the fin the same, we have had a deeper fin 'sing' and had to cut an inch or so off it to stop the noise.

Sangerdude
04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
I talked to Phil at Bergeron.... that dude is Cool!
Anyway, he said that I need a 13" long rudder on my style of boat and that he would leave the fin alone as well. The guy really seems to know what he is talking about. Now I just need to get a damn prop puller and get that off and then see about the strut.