PDA

View Full Version : what is the noise?

holeinthewater
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
at idle the boat growls and vibrates. once it starts to get out of the hole it goes away. It's the pump. could this possibly be a normal noise?
19ft Eliminator Daytona
454 BBC
Berkley ?

squirt'nmyload
04-17-2007, 08:17 PM
at idle the boat growls and vibrates. once it starts to get out of the hole it goes away. It's the pump. could this possibly be a normal noise?
19ft Eliminator Daytona
454 BBC
Berkley ?
i noticed this in my boat 2 trips ago.......slight vibration and almost like a humming noise.......it never really made any noise before...........and last sunday the thrust bearing blew out

67weimann
04-17-2007, 08:23 PM
If it vibrates and growls, it can be either the u-joints or the thrust bearing. If you don't fix it, it will cause catastrophic failure...

pw_Tony
04-17-2007, 08:39 PM
I better change my u-joints then lol

CARLSON-JET
04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
19ft Eliminator Daytona
454 BBC
Berkley ?
Yes it can be a normal noise. Other things have to be taken into consideration though such as the age of the pump and whether the motor location has been changed or sagging mounts etc. A few more replies to your question might help.

W.O.T
04-17-2007, 09:02 PM
i know my u joints make a weird vibrating chatter at idle sometimes. it goes away once i give it gas. they need to be replaced asap

67weimann
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Mine USED to do that... in fear of breaking something, I replaced the u-joints. Still had a slight vibration at times so I pulled the pump and rebuilt it. No more vibration or howling...:D

centerhill condor
04-18-2007, 04:41 AM
mine does that with rebuilt pump and new joints...me thinks it is play between the two shafts. Some folks liberally grease the splines and the noise goes away. Also, the starter can stay engaged enough to grap the starter ring due to "run out". Try restarting the engine and see if the noise ceases.

TIMINATOR
04-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Noise in your Daytona? You have two choices, one: bring it over so I can fix it. two: bring it over so I can buy it. Not kidding... TIMINATOR

blue wonder
04-18-2007, 08:06 AM
19ft Eliminator Daytona
454 BBC
Berkley ?
does it have a mag bronze or stainless impellor???...they sometimes make a growling noise when idling????

Mr. Crusader 83
04-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Mine does the same thing with a fresh pump and new u joints. It has always done it. If im at idle and go over a swell it growns and vibrates. But once you get on the gass its gone. Its only at idle, not moving.

squirtn20
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I had the same noise, took it to a guy that thought he knew what he was doing. I heard my thrust bearing, he said it was my bushings in the bowl. well he knows so $500.00 later and one hour on the lake my thrust bearing took a big shit, so did the bowl. Jonny at big a hooked me up with a repair to the bowl. My noise would come and go, grease wouldnot matter. no problems since. Thanks again Jonny!!

jetboatperformance
04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Holeinthewater Theres a good chance you could possibly have a developing Jet thrust bearing problem however the noise could very well be loosness (wear) at the pump shaft to driveline spline connection this is usually more pronounced at low idle and made worse by "cam lope" and heavy Impellers etc. Call me if you need further help in diagnosing this Happy to help Tom

UltraJet
04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
My boat has a vibration at idle. The vibration seems to be right beneath the boat(ie. right below the gas peddal:confused: ) It goes right away once I give it gas. I have been assuming this vibration is just due to the engine starving for gas. Kinda feels like it is just lugging. Could I have a pump problem?? The boat is only 6 years old??

squirt'nmyload
04-18-2007, 12:29 PM
My boat has a vibration at idle. The vibration seems to be right beneath the boat(ie. right below the gas peddal:confused: ) It goes right away once I give it gas. I have been assuming this vibration is just due to the engine starving for gas. Kinda feels like it is just lugging. Could I have a pump problem?? The boat is only 6 years old??
not saying your having the same problem i did but thats how mine was....at idle if i stuck my head below the dash line i could really hear it....also my pump to my knowledge was 33 years old and i had no history of a rebuild when i got the boat.

wolfie
04-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Mine made the same noises. Growling, vibrating at idle. I just had the pump redone a couple of weeks ago, took it out that Sunday and no more noise. Ran great.

Sanger Jet
04-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Mine makes a noise I could only describe as klanking at idle in the water, It has always made this noise even after returning from a well know boat shop, for pump overhaul,Still makes this strange noise after adding more HP, I'm not going to worry about it ?:rolleyes:

squirtn20
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Run her till she falls apart!! it will be eaiser to find the problem.:)

dumbandyoung
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
or alot more expensive to fix. lol :D
I had the same humming noise at idle and till about 15mph. I was told it was the thrust bearing. I just had the whole pump rebuilt and the place diverter put on.

Some Kind Of Monster
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
It IS normal for your pump to make some noise at idle before you put a load on it. It should go away when you get on the gas. Notice I say "some" noise is normal. If it is a bad noise then I would start checking for problems just to be sure.

Sanger Jet
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
It IS normal for your pump to make some noise at idle before you put a load on it. It should go away when you get on the gas. Notice I say "some" noise is normal. If it is a bad noise then I would start checking for problems just to be sure.
Now if I could just find someone dumb enough to dance around with the Big Block in the back of my boat while she's underway.....Now that would be funny!!!:devil:

UltraJet
04-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear that alot of other guys have this sound at idle. I've had this sound ever since I bought the boat last year and it is a 2000 model boat in immaculate condition. Can't imagine the pump needs to be rebuilt but I'll keep my oar ready anyway:D

holeinthewater
04-19-2007, 04:45 PM
thanks for all the input...
The guy i bought the boat from use to run it on the trailer with just a garden hose.:mad:
Then i had it at a local shop and i think they did the same. They were in love with the thing and were showing it off to people everytime i came in. When i got it back from them it seem to slip a lot on accel..
the noise has been around since i first got the boat...

minnesota_duane
04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
It will be alot easier to find the problem after you get it off the bottom of the lake or river. After it sinks because you busted a chunk out of the suction housing.:rolleyes:

Bow Tie Omega
04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
I just had a scary noise in my boat. It was a vibration with a slight clank. The Motor is new, the drive line is rebuilt with new universals and balanced, the ole Panther was rebuilt by Dons Pump Service in central CA. It was driving me nuts. So much, I pulled the motor out to double check the flex plate and I even dropped my pan to check the rods (the motor ran great). I ordered a new bushing kit for the stator. I took it off to work on it and looked at the impeller while I was there. The bolt holding the impeller had backed off and the key stock used in the key way was worn. When I installed the stator before, I used some clear silicone in between the stator and the pump housing, allowing the nut to back off to the pilot bearing on the stator where the discharge side of the impeller shaft inserted (16th of an inch) So, I purchased some new key stock, trimmed it down to size, reinstalled the impeller ,tightened the nut, cleaned off the old silicone on the stator and pump housing and installed the stator. I started the motor......vibration gone. I was lucky, no visible damage to the impeller, shaft or housing.:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
does it have a mag bronze or stainless impellor???...they sometimes make a growling noise when idling????
I would agree with this man!!!! Stainless are very noisy! Bronze are audiable but not as loud.....

454h20
04-20-2007, 05:43 AM
I have also experienced this issue I have had this noise / vibration follow me through 2 different hulls 3 different engines and 2 different pumps 1 was rebulit through out all those builds I used the same Drive Line.. I recently replaced the drive line greased it good and the vibration was VERY MINIMAL. I'm gonna pull the engine and use the Rail Kit system this will guarantee good engine placement, I think my engine is a bit low using the 4 point mount system (GLENWOOD) I can only lift the engine so high before I run our of stringer.
My opinion is switch to RAIL KIT SYSTEM AND NEW DRIVE LINE.
When the Rail Kit is installed I will update you with my results.

squirtn20
04-20-2007, 06:21 AM
It will be alot easier to find the problem after you get it off the bottom of the lake or river. After it sinks because you busted a chunk out of the suction housing.:rolleyes:
Yea I know, Just being a smartass. What part of town you playing around in? Ice off!! lets go.

centerhill condor
04-20-2007, 07:52 AM
I would agree with this man!!!! Stainless are very noisy! Bronze are audiable but not as loud.....
why is that? the condor has bronze and has a periodic clank at idle.