PDA

View Full Version : Makes A Person Wonder

FOREVER2DOXIES
04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
From a California school teacher - - -"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:
I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels.
Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park, etc., where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.
Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)
I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)
I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)
I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less then 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas" whores and throwing things that the teachers were in tears.
Free medical, free education, free food, day care etc., etc., etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?
To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.
Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.
We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it.
Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?
There are many hardworking Hispanic/American citizens that contribute to our country and many that I consider my true friends. We should encourage and accept those Hispanics who have done it the right and legal way.
It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about "politically correct" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.
If this makes your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know.
CHEAP LABOR?
Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about?
Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage.
Consumers don't want expensive produce.
Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs.
But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth, a farce, and a lie. there is no such thing as "cheap labor."
Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or $6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents, he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an "earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.
He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent.
He qualifies for food stamps.
He qualifies for free (no deductible, no co-pay) health care.
His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.
He requires bilingual teachers and books.
He qualifies for relief from high energy bills.
If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled, they qualify for SSI. Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare. All of this is at (our) taxpayer's expense.
He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.
Taxpayers provide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material.
He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $30.00/hour in benefits.
Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills and his.
The American taxpayers also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up.
Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people. THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD BE ADDRESSING TO THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES FOR EITHER PARTY. 'AND WHEN THEY LIE TO US AND DON'T DO AS THEY SAY, WE SHOULD REPLACE THEM AT ONCE!'

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Great post..:D

RitcheyRch
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Kimberley, excellent post. What is the link to that?

SB
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Good post.
It is my understanding that illegal immigrants cannot get SS#s, collect SS, or collect SSI.
The free lunch has more to do with the agribusiness lobby than immigration.
The immigrants pay rent. Their landlords pay RE taxes.
We should take healthy men age 18-40 to work. They don't cost as much as women and kids.

77Woodbridge
04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Great post, but aren't the entitlements mentioned only occurring in the Peoples Republic of California? And aren't those entitlements being distributed across the board, illegal and legal, Hispanic, Black, East Indian, White and the rest of the alphabet soup? Read a ballot or noticed the banners at DMV in Cali? Start with, you must read and speak ENGLISH before you get anything!
When I lived in Marysville and Yuba City, years ago the primary industry was Agribusiness. Sunsweet growers as well as the largest coops in the country would not exist today if it weren't for the labor provided by this work force. In Washington state, the midwest and on the East coast it is the same. Illegals are like global warming...if it truly is a problem - it's too late too stop it, so how do we best manage it.
The one thing that is absolutely a given is that there will be ZERO enforcement of anything sounding remotely punitive.

FOREVER2DOXIES
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
this is probably an older article that has been going around for a while so i do not have a "link"
Kimberley, excellent post. What is the link to that?

77Woodbridge
04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that they do go home at the end of the growing season. At least in the parts of the country that get cold in the winter.

CBadDad
04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Nice...

FOREVER2DOXIES
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
you might be right about the california entitlements but again, i am not sure. i would bet that if you asked most states about these same issues, they would all agree to a certain degree of it in their state. in any event i think that the frustration is that, although true that we NEED the field workers, why is it that people such as myself (single, white, lower income scale california native female) can not qualify for health insurance or any other benefit, pays taxes, follows the guidelines, etc...and did so when I did have my children at home with me....and was still told "sorry"...why is it that we have to suffer? my children would not have thrown the free food in the trash can, etc....
i can easily go on and on, as a lot of us probably can.
Great post, but aren't the entitlements mentioned only occurring in the Peoples Republic of California? And aren't those entitlements being distributed across the board, illegal and legal, Hispanic, Black, East Indian, White and the rest of the alphabet soup? Read a ballot or noticed the banners at DMV in Cali? Start with, you must read and speak ENGLISH before you get anything!
When I lived in Marysville and Yuba City, years ago the primary industry was Agribusiness. Sunsweet growers as well as the largest coops in the country would not exist today if it weren't for the labor provided by this work force. In Washington state, the midwest and on the East coast it is the same. Illegals are like global warming...if it truly is a problem - it's too late too stop it, so how do we best manage it.
The one thing that is absolutely a given is that there will be ZERO enforcement of anything sounding remotely punitive.

Coded-Dude
04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't see lines of better off non-hispanic kids(or hteir parents for that matter) lining up to work these jobs.....
Its easy to get mad at somebody for taking a job to provide for their family when you aren't seeing the effects.
How much would a head of lettuce cost if Americans were paid minimum wage/benefits by farmers.
Produce prices would sky-rocket, then Americans would have problems affording everything(energy, healthcare, food)
Not trying to say we should do NOTHING about immigration/illegals, because I think 77Woodbridge said it bets: "Illegals are like global warming...if it truly is a problem - it's too late too stop it, so how do we best manage it. "

78Eliminator
04-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Make them join the Army, send them to the Middle East, then grant them citizenship after their service.

cxr133
04-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't see lines of better off non-hispanic kids(or hteir parents for that matter) lining up to work these jobs.....
thats not true i was reading an article in the LA Times a few weeks ago about the raids for illegal immigrants that they are doing back east. It seems right after the RAID and arrest of the illegals working at various shops, there were american workers lined up to put in applications for these jobs.

fatboy95
04-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Its easy to get mad at somebody for taking a job to provide for their family when you aren't seeing the effects.
How much would a head of lettuce cost if Americans were paid minimum wage/benefits by farmers.
Produce prices would sky-rocket, then Americans would have problems affording everything(energy, healthcare, food)
Not trying to say we should do NOTHING about immigration/illegals, because I think 77Woodbridge said it bets: "Illegals are like global warming...if it truly is a problem - it's too late too stop it, so how do we best manage it. "
Why don't we close the borders and use the prison inmate population to provide labor? Remember the movie "Cool Hand Luke"? If they run just shoot them.............:idea:

NOTALENT
04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Amen!

FOREVER2DOXIES
04-18-2007, 10:39 AM
makes me wonder again.....is it really that we are "angry for them taking our jobs"? in reality is isn't that at all. it's a matter of the knowledge that we need all kinds of people in our country (which is why we call it a melting pot society) but the anger that everything needs to be "fair and equal" whether or not you are a migrant worker from the USA or other country or a citizen. it is very hard for citizens of the USA to not be able to afford benefits, or to be tokld they make $10 too much per month and are effectively denied care, all the while proving they indeed have critical health issues, and at the same time see non-citizens being handed benefits.
it is true that our own government rapes us and continually makes so-called efforts to create what they call "fairness" to those who come here seeking assistance and a future....but lets keep that effort for ALL persons, citizens and non alike.

77Woodbridge
04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
you might be right about the california entitlements but again, i am not sure. i would bet that if you asked most states about these same issues, they would all agree to a certain degree of it in their state. in any event i think that the frustration is that, although true that we NEED the field workers, why is it that people such as myself (single, white, lower income scale california native female) can not qualify for health insurance or any other benefit, pays taxes, follows the guidelines, etc...and did so when I did have my children at home with me....and was still told "sorry"...why is it that we have to suffer? my children would not have thrown the free food in the trash can, etc....
i can easily go on and on, as a lot of us probably can.
I don't disagree with you. I know from painful personal experience that the social workers discriminate against American citizens. I know exactly how they act and treat you as if you're the waste product and not the fat lazy bastard that has learned how to use the system.
I'm just saying that they all aren't lazy bastards and alot of American citizens depend on the labor.

Coded-Dude
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Why don't we close the borders and use the prison inmate population to provide labor? Remember the movie "Cool Hand Luke"? If they run just shoot them.............:idea:
Why don't we just send every American immigrant looking for a better life back home and give the land back to the natives. :idea:
We can argue extremes of both sides for hours on end creating a 20k page thread providing nothing but higher blood pressure for all.
Closing the borders = bad idea
Using inmates as cheap labor = Better than teaching them how to become better criminals.
I'm not against the idea of using criminals, I'd much rather spend my tax dollars buying tools for prisons(for agriculture, etc.), rather than paying for their cable bill.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about "politically correct" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.
This is so true. I get so frustrated with parents who yank their kids out of school for 2 weeks or a month. Middle school is when they learn algebra folks! :mad: Sometimes, they'll ask for the work in advance. Like I have my lessons planned that far in advance :rolleyes: It drives me crazy.

RitcheyRch
04-18-2007, 10:55 AM
I thought read where they talked of doing that before.
Make them join the Army, send them to the Middle East, then grant them citizenship after their service.

FOREVER2DOXIES
04-18-2007, 11:02 AM
i agree that we need to make everything "equal" and that would, or could, include serving the country in which they so badly wish to be a part of. as we all know, being a part of a country should not mean that picking and choosing which part should be allowed. i completely understand becoming a part of our country since I myself am a first generation american citizen. my "family" came over here in the mid 1950's...the "right" way. they paid their dues, they made certain they had employers and/or a career that was much needed here, and they had someone who could vouch for their whereabouts for the entire first year of their coming to the USA...etc. they also had to agree that they would not ask for or accept "assistance" for the first year of their living in the USA.
i do not think it was an easy task for anybody. but it was done. why? because they had a true belief that this country could offer them more than they had before given that they worked for it and took it in 100%. my "family" are still NOT citizens of the USA but they have given to this country 100% since 1956....and they are proud to say they did. 100%