PDA

View Full Version : DieHard Deep Cycle Batteries

Hallett19
04-18-2007, 10:44 AM
About 2 years and maybe 5 times using the boat, 1 of them is toast, wont hold a charge, no nothing, the other is okay, but it only holds about 75% of full capability, wtf? I thought these were supposed to be good batteries. They sit on a trickle charger year round..... :mad: pieces of shit

disco_charger
04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I've had real good luck with them in the jet boats. Interstates have never lasted me longer than a season. :rolleyes:

TahitiTiger
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM
I have some cheap Kragens brand 800 cca group 27 in my Tahiti. 3 years, never disconect it, never put on the charger, always starts the boat no problems.
Die Hard is not the quality they used to be back in the day. As I recall they are made by exide now.

Jetaholic
04-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Well before we start bashing the quality (or lack of) of a company, you could also have another issue.
How old is your starter? It could be dragging. When starters drag, they draw more current than they normally would, which can overload the battery. My dad's truck had this same problem...he would go through batteries like crazy and couldn't figure out why. He then discovered that the starter was dragging and overloading the battery, which caused the plates in the battery to short to each other, making the battery useless.
I would check your starter.

Beer-30
04-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't see how flooded batts have ever stood the beating that boats can provide. Plus, I just can't figure out why people would want acid spilling in the back of their boat. If it hasn't happened yet, it will.
I have been running Optimas in all of my vehicles since '98. No more growth on cables, rotten battery trays, or gassy odor. They only "vent" if pressure is built from overcharging. Then, they're toast. Other than that, 5+ years without fail on all of mine.

Squirtcha?
04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm running a 7 year old Autozone special. I can't believe how long this thing has lasted. I take good care of it, check and/or top off the levels, trickle charge when it needs it, and basically run the hell out of it. I use my boat a bunch and run it in some rough ass'd water too.
I'd run an optima except I don't have any of the above mentioned problems. I never noticed any spills, my battery tray is stainless steel which might help in the corrosion department if there is any leakage (once again.....never noticed any leaks). In addition I can buy 4 of these for the price of one Optima. I just can't justify it no matter how cool they look.
Watch now that I said this it'll take a shit on me.:D

Cheyenne580
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
YEP.....Dan now you've done it.The battery god's are frowning on you this weekend.Good luck guy's and be safe out there.
Jim

squirt'nmyload
04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm running a 7 year old Autozone special. I can't believe how long this thing has lasted. I take good care of it, check and/or top off the levels, trickle charge when it needs it, and basically run the hell out of it. I use my boat a bunch and run it in some rough ass'd water too.
I'd run an optima except I don't have any of the above mentioned problems. I never noticed any spills, my battery tray is stainless steel which might help in the corrosion department if there is any leakage (once again.....never noticed any leaks). In addition I can buy 4 of these for the price of one Optima. I just can't justify it no matter how cool they look.
just had to say it huh........ :jawdrop: :D :D

cave
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
I finally did the same thing. Auto Zone special. Hope it last all weekend:D

Hallett19
04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Starter is fairly new, maybe 3 seasons on it. Alternator is new too. I have not had a problem with corosion in my battery trays (plastic boxes) I keep the tops off and the batteries are in there very snug with foam pads. The water was a touch low on them which is my fault, but I dont see how this could cause one of them to be completley toast....
I got 2 exides in there now and its fine, but maybe I need to come to grips with the fact that its a boat and it will not be as dependable as my daily driver... so batteries every 2 years is not as bad as I thought it was.

455Rocket
04-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't see how flooded batts have ever stood the beating that boats can provide. Plus, I just can't figure out why people would want acid spilling in the back of their boat. If it hasn't happened yet, it will.
I have been running Optimas in all of my vehicles since '98. No more growth on cables, rotten battery trays, or gassy odor. They only "vent" if pressure is built from overcharging. Then, they're toast. Other than that, 5+ years without fail on all of mine.
After my third lead-cell batt in a season (with the ol' nordic) I went to gell... they are a wonderful thing. I went to Sams Club and got the off brand a lot cheaper than optima too. No issues on the second year. I let it set in the boat over the winter, no charging etc... and it powered cranking all winter and pre-oiling before spring start-up.

Sanger Jet
04-19-2007, 07:25 AM
About 2 years and maybe 5 times using the boat, 1 of them is toast, wont hold a charge, no nothing, the other is okay, but it only holds about 75% of full capability, wtf? I thought these were supposed to be good batteries. They sit on a trickle charger year round..... :mad: pieces of shit
I have 1 of those pieces of shit on the garage floor Took back to sears they tried to give me 13.00 bucks I said SHOVE IT and bought a blue battery :D

Hallett19
04-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, that is the last set of Die Easys I'll ever have. Lets see how the Exides hold up! After that, move on to Trojans!

TahitiTiger
04-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, that is the last set of Die Easys I'll ever have. Lets see how the Exides hold up! After that, move on to Trojans!
I will never run Exides :(, my father had an auto parts store and we carried Exide Batts. He had a 69 mint Porsche 912, we put a total of 7 excide batteries in it (all under warranty). The last one leaked, ruinning the carpet, and the paint. At that point we had switched to Interstate (which never gave us a problem). We never had any luck with them, and the warehouse that supplied them to us dropped the line due to bad reputation. This was several years ago, and they may have changed since then. But from past experience I would never touch em.

HammerDown
04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm running a 7 year old Autozone special. I can't believe how long this thing has lasted.
I'll second that...4 years strong (Duralast). Consumer Reports rates them a BEST BUY!;)

Hallett19
04-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I'll second that...4 years strong (Duralast). Consumer Reports rates them a BEST BUY!;)
who would have thunk it?

boats&bars
04-20-2007, 10:20 PM
we ran optima red tops in a race truck optima gave us spares just in case
will never run them again, there own race truck runs a interstate kinda funny.....

4604me
04-21-2007, 01:40 PM
interstate, makes optma's

OverKill
04-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Dan you have to admitt my $400 battery setup does look nice and will last almost forever. Now your battery will take a shit LOL