PDA

View Full Version : What Ever Happened to the Clock Starts In APBA??

Mid-life Crisis
04-18-2007, 08:01 PM
As a former APBA A-Stock Runabout driver back in 92 & 93, Every race was governed by a digital or dial type clock. This, in my opinion was great part of the challenge in racing and kept things fair. Now that I'm back, everythings now a flag start. I think that this leaves alot of room for interpretation on a legal start as I have seen many "wierd" starts because everyone was confused on whether to go around another lap or if it was truely time to start the race. What gives???:confused:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I prefer the flag start. It hurry's the program, it hurry's the heat and the water isn't all souped up (with cross cutting wakes) at go time. :)

mostly crue
04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Mid-Life I have been told that this weekend in Parker we will have a clock start for the crackers.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-18-2007, 08:25 PM
With some clock starts, its hard to tell when the race starts. The people on the shore can't see the clock and you rarely get everyone together. on top of that if someone gets dq'd for jumping he (and the shore) doesn't know it til after the race. You can't hear the announcer once the race starts unless your right under a speaker....

Moneypitt
04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
There are good points for both. The idea that everyones not lined up for the flag is a down side and depending on the flagman, creates some very unfair starts. On the other hand, the clock doesn't care if everyones lined up or not, when the clock hits zero it is time to go...The eastern races are still clock started, with no lane draws prior to the heat. Whoever gets the inside coming off of turn 3, or entering the last turn, has that lane.....I believe all the Divisional, and National Final races are required by APBA to be clock starts. It is true, the clock can take longer per heat. The first gun is the 5 minute gun, then the 1 minute gun, so there is at least 5 minutes of used time before each heat, where the flag is only suppose to be 2 laps and a go, IF the inside boats are aligned to the OUTSIDE boat.....And we all know that hardly ever happens like it is suppose to.....Then there is the Burley Pace Barge start???...........I think Ross needs to refresh everyones mind about the legality of cutting the course to get properly lined up on the 2nd parade lap. It might save some of the "go around again" non starts..........Ray
PS: as far as the people on the beach not knowing when the race actually starts, there is nothing that says the green flag can't fly as the clock hits zero.........

rossdbos
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
For the better part of my racing career (now over 28 years) I always thought the clock was half the skill, which it may very well be, but what the clock did was help to alienate the average spectator and keep circle boat racing "our little secret". The average spectator doesn't know or care to know about a countdown clock and to see boats all over the place before the start instead of lining up adds to the confusion. Now let's take a typical clock race scenario, a racer "jumps the gun" but the announcer and spectators (and t.v. crew) don't know it because "it isn't official until the race is over" and the race proceeds and no one is the wiser. The fans think the racer that crossed the imaginary finish line to take the checkered flag had won and are really confused when the announcement comes that the racer jumps the gun and the second place boat won the race. Spectators have only a small window of time to understand the race and dropping a flag makes it very easy and consistent especially when all boats are lined up makes it much more exciting. There is nothing more breathtaking and pulse pounding than 6 Super Stocks lined up side by side roaring down the straight into the turn, same for Pro Stocks, Crackers and even the limited outboard hydro's. But alas there is a contingent in our ranks that believes the clock is the answer and to them I digress my personal opinion for the good and respect of that classes wishes and run them on a clock start.
Circle boat racing is well over 100 years old but we still have yet to grasp the fact that it has to be exciting to the fans to bring in new blood, sponsors, etc., otherwise it will remain a "best kept secret". The racers, many of whom have already accepted this concept have reaped the rewards and benefits as their classes are growing due to parity and exciting racing. Clock starts are fine but won't ever get the average spectator to take a second glance after getting confused the first time.
While this may run contrary to some, it speaks volumes as to why the sport had sunk to a low point not too many years ago and why it is growing steadily now.
We have to make it exciting and keep our fans and sponsors happy, not create a "parade"! We need to build something that they will want to come back for more!
Hope you come to Parker.
Ross Wallach, Race Director SCSC

mostly crue
04-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I agree Ray, but I do hope the clock fixes some of the problems with the jumpers. I think the biggest problem was the clock breaking down every other heat. I don't know what we can do about cutting the corse, it seems to be happening more and more.

mostly crue
04-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Ross, thanks for your imput, you do a fantastic job, I just think we as a group need to all help out to give the best possible show there is. I don't think it should come down to finding out after a race that you jumped the gun. I think maybe the 1st turn judge could be radioed to wave a flag or all
drivers have some type of headphone built into their helmets ( we are looking at this for our driver now). I know this is not the answer, but I'm willing to do anything to keep boat racing safe and exciting.

CrackerP-94
04-18-2007, 09:53 PM
There are pros and cons for both flag and clock starts. As a racer, there is nothing like being able to time your start just so that you are going full speed and hitting the start line just as the clock hits zero. As for spectators understanding what is going on, they are just a confused if someone is penalized for charging a flag start as they are if someone jumps the gun and isn't the winner. They also get confuse when the boats come around for a flag start and are waved off but the next time around they are not lined up any different and the flag waves. I know promoters have a hard job trying to please everyone. They need but the racers and the spectators.

mostly crue
04-18-2007, 10:02 PM
p-94 where do you race? I've never seen the P-94.

gn7
04-19-2007, 05:25 AM
The fans think the racer that crossed the imaginary finish line to take the checkered flag had won and are really confused when the announcement comes that the racer jumps the gun and the second place boat won the race. Spectators have only a small window of time to understand the race
Sad to think that our spectators are dumber than your average hick NASCAR fan but I guess they are.

LeE ss13
04-19-2007, 06:24 AM
At the first race of '93, the Clock was broken so Jim Wilkes announced we were going to use a Flag start. They put 9 Super Stocks in the water for the first heat. I was the ninth. We were running with COBRA then at Puddingstone CA on a 3 turn course. In the ninth lane I had to run full throttle around the third turn approaching the starting line, to line up with the rest of the boats. I think one of the reasons that in later years they limited a start to 6 boats is because getting 9 Super Stock drivers to all cooperate and line up for a start is asking too much. Jim waved us around 3 times. Finally we got started. I ran out of gas on the last lap from all the re-starts. Seems like we always had trouble lining up for Jim. It was all good fun back then.

Mid-life Crisis
04-19-2007, 06:29 AM
For the better part of my racing career (now over 28 years) I always thought the clock was half the skill, which it may very well be, but what the clock did was help to alienate the average spectator and keep circle boat racing "our little secret". The average spectator doesn't know or care to know about a countdown clock and to see boats all over the place before the start instead of lining up adds to the confusion. Now let's take a typical clock race scenario, a racer "jumps the gun" but the announcer and spectators (and t.v. crew) don't know it because "it isn't official until the race is over" and the race proceeds and no one is the wiser. The fans think the racer that crossed the imaginary finish line to take the checkered flag had won and are really confused when the announcement comes that the racer jumps the gun and the second place boat won the race. Spectators have only a small window of time to understand the race and dropping a flag makes it very easy and consistent especially when all boats are lined up makes it much more exciting. There is nothing more breathtaking and pulse pounding than 6 Super Stocks lined up side by side roaring down the straight into the turn, same for Pro Stocks, Crackers and even the limited outboard hydro's. But alas there is a contingent in our ranks that believes the clock is the answer and to them I digress my personal opinion for the good and respect of that classes wishes and run them on a clock start.
Circle boat racing is well over 100 years old but we still have yet to grasp the fact that it has to be exciting to the fans to bring in new blood, sponsors, etc., otherwise it will remain a "best kept secret". The racers, many of whom have already accepted this concept have reaped the rewards and benefits as their classes are growing due to parity and exciting racing. Clock starts are fine but won't ever get the average spectator to take a second glance after getting confused the first time.
While this may run contrary to some, it speaks volumes as to why the sport had sunk to a low point not too many years ago and why it is growing steadily now.
We have to make it exciting and keep our fans and sponsors happy, not create a "parade"! We need to build something that they will want to come back for more!
Hope you come to Parker.
You make an excellent point regarding the confusion factor by the spectators. The one thing that I have noticed is that the clock is naturally oriented towards the race track so that the racers can see it but there is no clock pointing directly at the beach so that the fans can actually watch the countdown. I know big clocks cost some $$ but having one in view of the spectator in my opinion would add more excitement as the time winds down and they could actually be witness to the countdown giving them more incentive to watch the science of getting a good start. If a spectator is truely there to watch a boat race much like a baseball fan goes to a game to watch there are rules that must be adhered to and if you are interested enough, you are going to pay attention to these things. If the clock got more of a "spotlight" from the announcer bringing it to their attention, people would pay more attention because it is one of the most critical parts of the race. Maybe give a holeshot award like in supercross. If a race were ever televised, a starting line could be superimposed on the water like NFL first down lines to show immediately who has jumped the start thus ending the confusion. Just some thoughts.

Terminal Velocity
04-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Hope you come to Parker.
[QUOTE=MID-LIFE CRISIS "I know big clocks cost some $$ but having one in view of the spectator in my opinion would add more excitement as the time winds down and they could actually be witness to the countdown giving them more incentive to watch the science of getting a good start.[/QUOTE]
Both of these points are great, i used to love the clock starts. Now we have the flag and well it works but again as Lee also said trying to get 6-8 drivers who are pumped to the max to organize themselves is quite entertaining to watch at best. The clock for all intensive purposes should put ALL of the boats at the start line at the same time. Yes there is the chance of a jump, but there is also a "chance" of a jump with the flag we just don't seem to call many people on it. And let's really not go into the Burley Barge!!!! I hate that thing.
James
SS-75

CrackerP-94
04-19-2007, 01:12 PM
P-94 in the new cracker I will be bringing out very soon. My bother and nephew drive and ride in P-21 Gramps Cracker. I used to race 225 hydros in the 60's, 70's. I've been racing my father in laws old K-boat in nostalgia lately until my cracker is done.